sick from the voyager may 15th?

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better by now. :) What you described on that last day (all the throwing up, etc.) sounds horrible! It's never happened to me (so far - knock on wood or something), but I suppose I realize it could. Sometimes, no matter how careful you are, you can end up getting sick. :(

I didn't realize until I read your post that this was a Bermuda cruise. I'm officially jealous! :D I've always wanted to go there. Hope you had a wonderful time (in spite of the "bad ending").

Like hisrybuff said - ignore those with bad attitudes!

Elf

I think we should all show some compassion for these people....She was simply asking if anyone else was sick on the ship...these things happen. It only takes one person to bring a bug on board and with everyone sharing common living space it spreads rapidly.

I don't think she meant to scare anyone...just wanted to know how many others were sick. That must have a been a terrible experience for many people. Sounds awful.

I agree with the poster who said thankfully it happened at the end of the cruise. Could have been worse.

I think the cruise lines take these episodes very seriously...whether it's a bug or contaminated food..you can be sure they will do what has to be done.

Because the OP asked this question why do some of you have to be an @ss to her? Just because we have not heard about it does not mean that a ship could not have had the Norwalk. It is more common than we think. Some of you need to grow up and like mature adults.

To the OP, hope that you and yours feel better soon. Glad to hear that the cruise was great.

This is very strange but these viruses do seem to effect many different parts of the country. A school in our area was closed this past week due to a mystery virus. According to reports, children and staff came down with extreme vomiting, headache and some with severe stomach cramps. Some classes that have 25 students in them were down to 7 children so the school was closed on Friday for disinfecting and will reopen tomorrow.

Traci,

I am feeling okay today. Slept for 19 straight hours after getting home, also had a terrible headache. So I know it wasn't food poisoning.

Vomiting, diarrhea and headache are classic symptoms of many types of food poisoning.

Glad you are feeling better. I took your first post to be just asking if you were the only ones to see if you could have gotten it onboard or somewhere else. I did not think you meant that you were looking for buddies for a class action suit or something like that. I don't get why people are attacked for asking a legitimate question!

This is very strange but these viruses do seem to effect many different parts of the country. A school in our area was closed this past week due to a mystery virus. According to reports, children and staff came down with extreme vomiting, headache and some with severe stomach cramps. Some classes that have 25 students in them were down to 7 children so the school was closed on Friday for disinfecting and will reopen tomorrow.

I think this is an important point to remember. Sometimes people make it sound like rampant stomach viruses are a cruise ship problem only and why cruising can be dangerous to your health or that the ship line is doing something negligent. But it's a fact of life that when you are in any large gathering of people for an extended period of time that these things just might happen. Good hygene is critical. Last Jan I was on Mariner the week after they had their big Norwalk outbreak. But no one on our trip had a problem as they were contantly cleaning hand rails and telling all passengers to wash hands often. Also every time you entered the dining room or Windjammer you had to disinfect your hands. No one wants to get sick on any vacation but unfortunately it happens.

soxfan , where are you from? i'm from the hudson valley in new york and one of our schools was closed 2 wks ago from a mystery virus. out of 900 students in the school 300 were sick altogether throughout the week 11 teachers and the principal. they checked water and food and air. all had the same symptoms vomiting headache stomache cramps. they said it could maybe be norwalk. but they don't know. then one of the hospitals reported a couple of cases. you have to remember one person is exposed, then they see other people somewhere else.now two people have it and they keep exposing it to other people and so on and so on. someone may have brought it on the ship. they say it's contagious from 1 to 3 days. I was on voyager last year and i will be on her again in a couple of weeks i know they keep the ship clean and nothing has been reported. you never know who is coming aboard the ship sick.

Wow...this thread brought out the best in some people:rolleyes:

Traci, I'm sorry you got ill on your cruise. Like the others said, I'm glad it hit on the last day instead of the first. Let's hope it's something like a minor flu bug rather than food posioning. I hope you and yours feel better soon....keep us posted:)

I hope you feel better soon, Traci. I knwo that there were no issues on the 5/7 repo cruise (the one right before yours), at least that I know of. No one was sick while on board (at least publically). It might be that someone brought a stomach flu onto the ship with them, or one of the crew did. Sounds like RCCL did the right thing by having the crew stay on board to disinfect the ship before the next crop of passangers went out.

AGain - I hope you and your fellow passengers feel better soon. :(

Traci: I'm sorry to hear that the end of your cruise (and beyond) has been so horrible. At this point, you're smart to go to your doctor. Some intestinal food poisoning problems are caused by bacteria and need treatment (sorry, I know...I make it sound totally gross; unfortunately, it is).

I'm glad your cruise was good. And please don't let some of us with hyper-quick "defensive" buttons put you off. It was apparent to me that you were simply asking as a matter interest. Nowhere did you say, "I'm sick, RCI owes me (fill-in-the-blank)." You didn't complain that the cruise was bad, the crew were bad, or anything else. You've been around the boards a while; long enough to know (I hope) that most of us want to hear honest experiences--great, good, bad, and even the oh-so-ugly.

Even though getting sick is a risk no matter where we are and even though cruise ship illnesses do seem to get more attention, the fact is that most of us don't get sick on cruises. (What I mean by that is, don't let this one cruise put you off cruising for fear that you'll get sick again.) In fact, one Radiance cruise (3 night Vancouver to Seattle, when they were still doing that) about 400 pax were reported to be ill at the end of the cruise. The thing is, we were on that cruise and didn't hear anything about it until it was reported in the TV news the next night. My mom called asking, "are you okay, are you sick?" I said, "huh? what are you talking about," then we saw it on the news. I didn't give it a second thought (except to feel bad for those who were ill and to be thankful that we weren't). It certainly hasn't put us off cruising. lol.

So, get more rest; look at your cruise pics to remember the fun; and above all, get well...so you can cruise again. :D

God speed (hope I can write that here),

beachchick

Anyone else sick? DH and I are both ill since we returned on Friday.......

I got sick right after dinner on Thursday. Since it come on so suddenly - one minute I was fine and the next dreadfully ill - I thought it was food poisoning. I was the only one at our table who had the fish.

From my conversations with many equally sick passengers on Friday morning, they were all taken suddenly as well. No one seems to have eaten the same thing. I saw one of our table mates and he had gone down to the doctor. He said the doctor was taking very detailed histories of what everyone had done and eaten. Apparantly he could find no common thread.

From what I have heard of Norwalk - that's what everyone's symptoms sounded like.

I very rarely get stomach viruses - I think I've had 1 in the last 20 years - so it had to be something virulent. Unfortuneatly, I gave it do my husband as well - didn't mean to bring him that kind of souvenir - so it is contagious.

I am amazed at the lack of compassion by those who replied to Traci's question about being sick on the Voyager. I too was sick on Friday, vomitting my brains out on the 4 1/2 hour car ride home. Yesterday my husband came down with it and had to miss his son's college graduation.

There were a large number of passengers vomitting in LaScala and Studio B on Friday morning. To make matters worse the ladies' room outside Studio B had two of the stalls locked off so that they could not be used - thus they did not have to clean them before going out again. The rest rooms ran out of toilet paper and paper towels and no one around to replentish.

I have done 4 other RCL cruises and have been very happy. I found the Voyager to be understaffed for the number of passengers. There were long lines at the Windjammer, bars, etc. This is my first cruise where the crew were not as friendly and not very happy. It was evident.

I am already booked for the Panama Canal in Jan., so I will continue to cruise.

To those of you who made stupid remarks at Traci's original posting - I don't wish you what we've been through. It's not a pretty picture.

To the OP......sorry you got blasted for asking a simple question. I would have asked and wondered the same thing. It sucks to have such a wonderful time come to a bad end. Hope you both are feeling much better now. Curious if you ever went to the Doctor and if so what did you find out?

I'm sorry I may regret it later.........but this board has some really COCKY, rude people on it. People try a little civility! If you have nothing nice or constructive to say why bother posting anything at all? traci m stated both her and hubby had been sick since returning from their trip so why not have a little sympathy or patience and ask her to elaborate on her post instead of starting in about "facts just the facts" or "may catch a bug". Jeez 've just joined this board after stopping over from another board but I'm really second guessing that decision after reading some of replies I see posted to other peoples messages. Just in case my wife has any desire to post anything here I'll say this is the Pete half of pete&debbie.

to all who came to my defense, thank you.

Pete, you're right, i was just looking for feedback. Cannot believe some of the nasty things that were written. The royal board has really soured me. You don't see things like this on the other boards.

thanks, Traci

Traci....

Hope you and hubby are feeling better :D It does seem that there is a lot of flaming lately BUT trust me it is on ALL the boards. Come on people can't we try and get along with eachother. With all the heartache going on in this world WE should try and be gracious to oneanother:) I got flamed for just asking if the cd would be back from vaction on another board. I know a lot of people are afraid to even post of fear of getting flamed. Let us know if you go to the docs and how you make out. Happy Cruising Everyone ;)

~~Debbie~~

Archived