Mixed messages about Punta Sur?

Too blessed to be stressed

I was researching Punta Sur. Someone said you can't swim or snorkle on your own there you have to do it with a tour group. But thats not what it looks like to me. This seems to be the one place there is actually a pretty beach and if you walk down the beach a little bit there is a good place to snorkle on your own. Am I wrong?

Tammy

Definately wrong information. We love Punta Sur. I recommend making arrangements with Crescencio. He is very reliable - you definately don't want to get stuck in Punta Sur. You can definately snorkel on your own. There is a really nice long reef there. I swam out, but if you are not a strong swimmer - there is usually a guy there who will take you in his kayak for $5-$10. Punta Sur is a very relaxed place. I'm hoping it doesn't become popular - we enjoy it versus the party atmosphere on the other beaches closer to the pier.

You don't have to prearrange transportation, but I recommend it. Crescencio is great and speaks good English. Also, he can make suggestions if the weather is not good or if you find that you have some extra time. You can get off the ship and go to the taxi line - you will be given a random driver. The price will probably be slightly more and you won't know what you'll get. Before we met Crescencio - we got a random driver who spoke "great" English. - NOT!

Archived