RCCL excursion "Best of Jamaica" out of Falmouth? Any feedback?

Kenlorz

I'm not having much luck finding any insight into this Royal specific excursion over on the Port boards, so since it is a RCCL sponsored excursion, I thought I'd try here. Has anyone done this excursion? What was your experience like? Can you describe it? Thanks!

Don't know why so much negativity towards Jamaica/Falmouth....been there several times and have had a great day each time....just plan an excursion for the day and you will have a wonderful time.

Our most memorable excursion that we have done on ANY cruise was the horseback ride in the ocean. Think it is called Chuka Cove? Our family did this 3 times, if I remember correctly. Starting when one of the little ones was 6 ( she did slip off the horse in the water and the guide pulled her onto his horse with him) If we talk about Jamaica, this excursion always comes up!!!

Second is Dunns River Falls, which if you have never done this-you must do at least once.

Realizing though that both of these would depend on your level of activity.

Our most memorable excursion that we have done on ANY cruise was the horseback ride in the ocean. Think it is called Chuka Cove? Our family did this 3 times, if I remember correctly. Starting when one of the little ones was 6 ( she did slip off the horse in the water and the guide pulled her onto his horse with him) If we talk about Jamaica, this excursion always comes up!!!

Second is Dunns River Falls, which if you have never done this-you must do at least once.

Realizing though that both of these would depend on your level of activity.

Thanks!

We were thinking of possibly doing the Horseback Ride-n-Swim with Dunn's River Falls. I was a bit hesitant, but your feedback has me reconsidering.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm new to CC and will be sailing the 5 night to Falmouth and Labadee this Feb. I would be interested in more information on the Best of Jamaica shore excursion with RCCL or the Dunns River Falls Express tour, if anyone has done any of these. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Also any compasses, or kid's adventure ocean schedules as well as posts of the new menu for the Liberty of the Seas 5 night would be awesome! Thank you! Look forward to being able to contribute too one day :)

I'm not sure if this is the one I went on in March. It took us the a beautiful garden, to a local hotel for Jamaican food, then too Dunn's River Falls. I have heard so many bad comments about Jamaica that I was hesitant but really wanted to see the island. I had a great time!! I think the Jamaican people are so warm. Had some bottled water at the hotel, the brand name of the water was ' Jus Chill'. I thought that was so funny.

Another idea for you in Jamaica is the Dolphin Swim/Dunns River Falls combo.Make sure you don't book the Dolphin Encounter....its basically standing on a platform..This was by far the best dolphin swim we have ever done. You are IN the water with the dolphins the WHOLE time. Amazing!!!.....then you go to the Falls which is an experience everyone should have at least once. If you do the Falls, make sure you bring water shoes. :)

Edited by jletsgo

Don't know why so much negativity towards Jamaica/Falmouth....been there several times and have had a great day each time....just plan an excursion for the day and you will have a wonderful time.

We took ONE tour out of Montego Bay one time.

Our tour bus was attacked by rastafariens with big sticks

trying to get the driver to stop...

(I asked him what that was all about?

He said they wanted to "rob us".)

He just plowed through them...

GOOD for him... :mad:

I agree. I love Jamaica and always look forward to returning.

Whoa there. When did this happen. We are taking a ship excursion to Montego Bay in January.

This is very worrying for me.

Julie

We have been to Falmouth many times and very much enjoy any of the Chukka sponsored tours. They have their own plantation area with a number of tours available. We have done the Zip Line and Tubing tour both on the same tour and they fed us a jerked chicken lunch, very good. Also have done the rafting on the Martha Brae and enjoyed. Chukka also offers horse back riding and ATV tours. Good luck.

• 4 months later...

that sounded just like blackhawk down and the walking dead put together.....

thx for the heads up

teddy

I did the Best of Jamaica tour on my last visit and really enjoyed it. The Shaw Park Hotel is very beautiful with a nice, sheltered beach area. The lunch there was very good and featured jerk chicken, pulled pork, plantains and other local favorites. Dunns River Falls is worth a visit if you have never been. The trek up the falls is not that steep, but it is a bit slippery and requires a moderate amount of balance. That being said, I didn't see too many people falling down. If you have someone who can't or doesn't want to make the climb, there is a wooden viewing platform where you can watch or take photos. There is also a small flea market there, although I found the vendors a bit pushy.

We also made a quick stop at a local market for some souvenier shopping at a store owned by the guide's "cousin, who will give you the best price in Jamaica".

Also keep in mind that time in Jamaica is a relative thing. We were at least an hour late getting back to the ship. I hate to be late and was a bit worried about missing the all aboard time, but it appears that excursions running late is a regular thing in this port. Thankfully, the ship will wait for ship sponsored tours. When we got back, they opened the gates and drove us thru the closed port market, right up to the ship. The bus doors literally opened onto the gangway.

Edited by Lady Darci

• 10 months later...
I did the Best of Jamaica tour on my last visit and really enjoyed it. The Shaw Park Hotel is very beautiful with a nice, sheltered beach area. The lunch there was very good and featured jerk chicken, pulled pork, plantains and other local favorites. Dunns River Falls is worth a visit if you have never been. The trek up the falls is not that steep, but it is a bit slippery and requires a moderate amount of balance. That being said, I didn't see too many people falling down. If you have someone who can't or doesn't want to make the climb, there is a wooden viewing platform where you can watch or take photos. There is also a small flea market there, although I found the vendors a bit pushy.

We also made a quick stop at a local market for some souvenier shopping at a store owned by the guide's "cousin, who will give you the best price in Jamaica".

Also keep in mind that time in Jamaica is a relative thing. We were at least an hour late getting back to the ship. I hate to be late and was a bit worried about missing the all aboard time, but it appears that excursions running late is a regular thing in this port. Thankfully, the ship will wait for ship sponsored tours. When we got back, they opened the gates and drove us thru the closed port market, right up to the ship. The bus doors literally opened onto the gangway.

While on our cruise, we did the Best of Jamaica tour. The excursion featured a trip to Dunn's River Falls, a shopping trip to a tiny, strip mall, an authentic Jamiacan lunch of jerk chicken and pork, time at Shaw beach and a boat cruise near Ochos Rios. It was an excellent way to see Jamaica and a great way to spend a day!