Hair Length for Older Gals

Hockeylovinmom

I enjoyed reading everyone's answers. According to this article, anything is okay for women over 50 now:

http://www.stylebistro.com/Haute+Hairstyles+for+Women+Over+50?zam_c=Women-Over-50-Search&gclid=CIzL4-CBm7MCFQSg4AodgikAFQ

Even so, I have difficulty agreeing and will play by the old fashioned rules... when I look through the 51 pictures of famous women pictured in the above article, I still think they would look even better if their hair is at the shoulders or above(use your finger tips to block the length beyond their shoulders and you will see what I mean)...and if they are blonde...that they would look better if they went darker or used more lowlights.

Who would have thought this coming from me...I am on a super quest to find the right clothes to match my 49 years age and am two haircuts away from 100% discovering my natural hair color. I wonder how long I can rock this attitude!

coka

coka, I have less wrinkles than about 75% of those gals-even a a few that are younger than 58 (my age) but none of those gals had hair as thin as mine.

An update on taking the biotin-it is now been about 6 or 7 weeks-since I started around labor Day. I see no difference in my hair or nails-but I have noticed my skin is no longer dry with the rough patches. Now I imagine with winter coming I will still need to use lotion-but I can honestly say my skin is not as dry as it was this summer. Even my elbows feel great!

Since your body replenishes skins cells constantly and hair only grows a half inch a month and nails grow slower too-I am still hopeful I will see a difference-but if not-it is worth it for my skin!

One other positive is I am now shaving every other day instead of twice a week-so it has effected my leg hair-LOL!

I was listening to the dermatology show on Dr. Radio, and the doctor said that Rogaine can be used safely by women who have female pattern baldness. There are also oral medicines that can help. There was also mention of hair transplants for women, but they didn't give any details. The doctor said that in his opinion vitamin supplements won't increase hair growth unless the patient is deficient. Same with any special shampoos or conditioners -- they can only make your existing hair look better.

I was listening to the dermatology show on Dr. Radio, and the doctor said that Rogaine can be used safely by women who have female pattern baldness. There are also oral medicines that can help. There was also mention of hair transplants for women, but they didn't give any details. The doctor said that in his opinion vitamin supplements won't increase hair growth unless the patient is deficient. Same with any special shampoos or conditioners -- they can only make your existing hair look better.

Klauer, the Rogaine label of possible side effects deterred me. It said it can cause a stroke and will increase blood pressure. I figured I also may be deficient in biotin because of my diabetes- your body needs biotin to process carbohydrates-diabetics have trouble processing carbohydrates.

For those of you with thinning hair and sparser eyebrows, make sure your doctor checks your thyroid function. Both hypo- and hyperthyroid conditions can make you lose hair. The shrinking eyebrows are a classic symptom of hypothyroid. I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease several years back, the leading cause of hyperthyroidism. It took a while for me to realize that my major hair fallout for months prior was due to that. I'm losing handfuls again so need to get retested. I've been in remission for quite a while. The funny thing is that I have a ton of new growth and it's the longer stuff falling out. That's also typical of hyper, as everything works at faster speed.

I am a way over 50 and refuse to cut my long below the shoulder length hair... of course I've lightened the color a wee bit :) and get the brazilian straightener which is fabulous... I now have wash and wear hair and my hair dresser has lost his annuity.....

I would definitely see a dermatologist if I had significant hair loss. You can spend a ton of money on hair products and supplements that won't help at all if you have a condition like hypothyroidism.

A dermatologist might not think to test for thyroid. What you really need is an endocrinologist. (she says from long experience) :p

For those of you with thinning hair and sparser eyebrows, make sure your doctor checks your thyroid function. Both hypo- and hyperthyroid conditions can make you lose hair. The shrinking eyebrows are a classic symptom of hypothyroid. I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease several years back, the leading cause of hyperthyroidism. It took a while for me to realize that my major hair fallout for months prior was due to that. I'm losing handfuls again so need to get retested. I've been in remission for quite a while. The funny thing is that I have a ton of new growth and it's the longer stuff falling out. That's also typical of hyper, as everything works at faster speed.

I did-hoped it was that because I am too fat-LOL!-no easy fixes for me-on the weight gain-except pushing away from the table-LOL!

I actually just asked my primary care physician to add it on to my regular blood tests.

My PCP has checked mine for years, mainly because of a family history of thyroid cancer. Otherwise, who knows how long it would have taken to diagnose why I felt like utter crap! :eek:

Well I'm not 50 "yet". I'll be 47 in 3 months and my hair is past my bra line. I think it just depends on the person, their style, color, and their facial features. Most people don't think I'm anywhere close to the age I am, so I plan on keeping my long locks as long as I can. On me, I think it helps me look younger. If I was to cut it off, I think I would look totally different and older. :cool:

Archived