what to wear and how much to bring

bnkrpzlawr

We will be on the "Brilliance of the Seas" on July 13, 2004 for a 12 nite med cruise. We have no idea how much clothing to bring and what to wear. We don't plan on doing our own wash but will do dry cleaning where necessary. What do we wear in port for Rome, Florence, ect.

Wow, this is a kind of tough one to answer...

If you have unlimited luggage, you can go crazy, otherwise that will be your biggest restriction on HOW MUCH you bring.

If you have any 'within Europe' flights, be aware that the restrictions are MUCH tighter for both checked and carryon than for US-Europe or other nation flights.

I recommend you VERY CAREFULLY check over the 'contract of carriage' and all other policies of your airline(s) and then work forward from there...

As to WHAT to bring, it rather depends on if you plan on going with comfort, style, a desire to look or NOT look like an American, etc.

Europeans (especially Italians and French) wear more of what we would call work clothes for everyday- not usually suits and nylons, but the nicer casual stuff like classic-lined dresses and skirts, slacks and classy shirts, nice shoes, purses, jewelry, etc. (think traditional Chanel or Yves St Laurent).

Dark colors, even in the middle of summer, are most common in all but the very resort places like Monaco, and then only on boats or on the beach.

Evening wear would be on the very nice/stylish side vs 'Sunday best'.

Now, if you want to just blend in somewhat, the best advice I have heard is to wear dark jeans or other neutral long pants (avoid shorts), low-key tennies (NEVER white or bright!) or neutral-colored walking shoes, and avoid loud or obviously American-themed tees and hats- and keep the camera and map in a bag until needed.

If space- or weight-saving items are neccessary, I would opt for lightweight, quick-drying, wrinkle-free or -resistant materials with a good hand and neutral/classic colors, with a few bright items to pair them with to add some flair.

Go for the ability to mix/match basically every item in your wardrobe for day, and at least a few variations you can accomplish with your formal eveningwear (like a black skirt and a pair of black flyaway pants you can pair with various tops/jackets, and a dress that matches at least one jacket too. Bringing one suit, with a variety of shirts and ties, and even a vest, and a tux if desired, will lend a different look for many more-formal meals.

I would look carefully at some of the travel clothing companys if you do not already possess these items.

Try Travelsmith for one.

Coolmax, the new Rayons, and Supplex are great fabrics to travel with...

It will likely be quite hot, with thunderstorms a distinct possiblity I believe.

Also, avoid fannypacks and backpacks as they mark you as a tourist and are very easy to rob (unfortunately a big problem in some areas, Rome being one..)

If you are with a guide or group, it will be impossible to NOT look like a tourist, and there are many, many scams being run to distract you and take your valuables without your even realizing it until it is too late.

I would invest in a security pocket and KEEP all items but your misc spending money IN IT when sightseeing. Make sure your husband either does NOT wear a regular wallet, or keeps it in his FRONT pants pocket and in deep.

Hope this gives you some direction to go, and some ideas to build on.

S

The key to this is mix & match. You must pack neutral colors -- black, white & khaki. Nothing screams American tourist in Europe like sneakers. Leave them home & invest in good walking shoes.

Almost everything you wear should be able to do double duty. For example, I have a black sundress that looks cute for day w/ flats & simple jewelry. I can also wear it on formal night w/ heels & killer jewelry especially if I put my hair up.

To assure that your clothes survive, pack some Shout wipes just in case. Accessories will also be important to changing your look.

Trish

I also went on a Med. Cruise a few years back on the Sea Goddess II- I took one suitcase and one carryon. I love Chico's travelers knits, the are lightweight,they don't wrinkle and best of all they are mix and match, different jewelry, scarves etc.. make a new outfit each night,with a long skirt, short skirt, tunic, jacket, pants, capri pants, a few tanks in several colors and you can do everything in Chico's, You also acn wash it out in the sink and hang it up to dry. wonderful stuff, look into it.

Archived