Reflection interconnecting rooms - back to the doors in the cabin walls

uktog

Thank you for all the first hand reports and photos. I haven't been following any news while the ship was being built, so did anyone read before or learn on this cruise WHY they decided to abandon a design that most cruisers liked? 4 out of 5 ships have a design that I thought was convenient and helped with noise control, and then a major change in cabin design and build for the last ship. There must have been very good reasons to do so and I can imagine a few, but did any X staff explain this change?

Yes, at 2:45 of the original video, you can see the interior connecting door...oh well, I will do my best to never book a connecting stateroom unless I have family next door!

Thank you for all the first hand reports and photos. I haven't been following any news while the ship was being built, so did anyone read before or learn on this cruise WHY they decided to abandon a design that most cruisers liked? 4 out of 5 ships have a design that I thought was convenient and helped with noise control, and then a major change in cabin design and build for the last ship. There must have been very good reasons to do so and I can imagine a few, but did any X staff explain this change?

Phew - at least that last video has clearly established there is a "traditional" interconnecting door. Whilst my German is far from fluent, at around 5:15 in the video he said along the lines of "this is a door to the next cabin which is good for families etc, and (as he was turning the handle) naturally it is locked".

Why did they change? Good question. I prefer the 2 doors off the alcove set up, which many hotels have these days, IF you are not actually traveling with the occupants of the adjoining cabin. I once had a traditional interconnecting cabin on a Princess ship (chosen for an extra-large balcony) and whilst the occupants next door were not particularly noisy, there were certainly times when we could hear them, and I'm sure at times they could hear us.

However if you are a family or group occupying the 2 cabins then I prefer the traditional setup as it is more natural and convenient than having to go out 1 cabins main door and into the other cabin via it's main door.

So IMHO, for families it is an improvement and they will appreciate it, however for non-sharing occupants it will be less desirable. Perhaps this is why X has reverted to this style - to encourage those who do not require interconnecting cabins to book other ones? I am aware of course that several of the highly prized large-balcony hump cabins are interconnecting, which is why many people, including myself, book them. I guess now it will come down to a personal choice of is the risk of unwanted noise worth it for the large balcony? For me - yes :)

Cheers

Ando

The 1As, with the large angled balconies, are not connecting cabins, none of them, at least that what the deck plan still shows! Funny, because when this reviewer listed cabin 7239, I panicked, thinking it was our "pair". But no, this cabin is on the straight middle part of the hump and pairs with 7237, both 2As with regular size balconies. A few CCs are both angled and connecting. Seems like a lot of doors in that one small entry area near the bathroom. I prefer the other design for friends and family,plus having less noise, but they didn't ask for my opinion ;)

The 1As, with the large angled balconies, are not connecting cabins...... A few CCs are both angled and connecting.

Yes, it was the angled & connecting C2's on decks 9 & 10 that I was referring to :) Sorry for any confusion.

Archived