Australian Cruise

Joyce B.

That depends on the itinerary. We sailed from Sydney to Singapore two years in a row and it was worth every agonizing minute of the flight. They were both 19 day cruises so it gave us plenty of time to get over the jet lag and all that came with it. Especially since we did a pre-cruise stay with both cruises. So, the main question is, how long is the cruise you are considering?

For us, it would have to be at least two weeks to make it worth the flight, anything less, I would say no.

Another tip: Business Class airfare. Economy flights are packed in like sardines we found out and they are not the most comfortable. We did find Ambien for the second trip and it helped out a lot.

A trip to Australia, definately. Secret is allow a couple of days to get over jet lag plus Sydney is a great city to explore and then perhaps one of the Sydney to Auckland cruises so you see two great places(or vica versa). If you want to break the journey go to Hawaii stay a couple of days then fly to Sydney. When I go to the US for cruising, I always go to Hawaii(9hrs flying)stay 2/3 nights then fly onto departure port. As an Aussie living near Melbourne I can recommend the cruises from Australia and next season both Princess and Holland America are doing a summer season(your winter). It is not that far, honestly.:)

Did Auckland to Sydney. So worth the flight, we did three days pre and three days post cruise. Word to the wise, avoid United for your flight, bad move we had one way on Air New Zealand....Wow coach was like Business class. I did have Business class on United for the return flight and it was terrible.

Please do not let the long flight deter you from this amazing experience.

Also ask your MD for some Ambien to help with sleep.

Is it worth the long flight? I think so.

Take a couple of days in a hotel before to get over jet lag, and a couple days at a hotel at the end, to look around.

We did it several yeas ago on the old Pacific Princess, and really enjoyed the itinerary. Both the Aussies and Kiwis are very friendly.

We've been back a couple of times, for different itineraries. The flight is terribly long, but worth it.

Archived