stay on the boat in Nassau?

jeast

Took the Wonder 3-day cruise at the first of June with DD15 & DD15, as well as friends with 2 teenage children. Biggest mistake was the Atlantis excursion. Preface it to say that it was Junkanoo (Bahamas Labor Day) so the streets were crowded with natives & the driver drove like he was crazy. Had two near-miss accidents! The kids complained all the way through the tour, with the exception of seeing the Giant Manta Ray. Atlantis is pretty, but not any more exciting than any other luxury resort. Not worth the trouble and expense. Stay on the ship, as there are activites for the kids, and the ship is much less crowded. If I ever cruise back to Nassau, I'll be sitting pool-side on the ship!:D

My husband and I sailed on the Sovereign in May and we walked to the BrititshColonial Hilton. We paid $15.00 each and spent the day on the beach and using their pool. It was a nice inexpensive way to wind down and enjoy. We had lunch at the pool side cafe where we saw several local business men and women enjoying their lunch. You can see the hotel from the port. It's yellow and next door to Senor Frogs. The cititzens of Nassua are very warm and kind and you should get off the boat and experience it!:D

I am not yet convinced she will be ready for this, as last time we took her on a cruise, which was the Sovereign of the Seas, she was a little apprehensive with all of the water and mommy not being near…but this time around we are preparing her with all of the videos and websites associated with the cruise.

The Dolphins will be something for her to get use to but I think she would enjoy this as long as her Papa and I are reinforcing the fun! She enjoys the pool, the beach, being on a boat, but for some reason she shys away from water parks. So I am unsure where she will be in her thoughts with the Dolphins. But it is something worth showing her over the net to see if she perks any interest.

TIA,

Cindy

Hey Cindy!!! It's Laura(bearz) from the DIS boards!

I made our desicion! We are staying on the ship in Nassau. Too much to see and do on the ship alone... and only 3 days on her....

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from the Bahamas, and stumbled over a place I never knew existed.

It is Blackbeards Cay, just across from Cable Beach. We were beaching at the Wyndham, and was interested in the boats that were going "there". We asked the water sports guy, and he directed us to the banana boat ride guy. He charged us $10 PP round trip, and then $10 PP to get on the island. The place was a PARADISE.

So I was shocked when I saw boats pull up from the cruise ships. So I just looked it up. There's an excursion called Thriller Powerboat to Blackbeards Cay. It's a 30 minute ride from the pier, and unfortunately a three hour tour altogether.

See some pix here:

http://community.webshots.com/album/403621087eIcono

There's also jet skiing, parasailing, swimming with the stingrays, snorkling, and even has a bar and grill.

This is also known as Sandals Cay, as it is shared, and their private beach and area is on the other side. We walked over there and found a pool. Wasn't bold enough to see if I could go swimming there.

But, if you even happen to be making that trek to Cable Beach, see if you can find Captain Mike, the banana boat guy. He may take you over there as well for the right price! just tell him when you want to be picked up!

Make sure that you take a power of attorney allowing you as grandparents to take her out of the country, as we have had to provide that document with every cruise.

Thank you so very much for the reminder! Finally, I have it in my Dinsey folder, ready to go! :)

Cindy

Hey Cindy!!! It's Laura(bearz) from the DIS boards!

I made our desicion! We are staying on the ship in Nassau. Too much to see and do on the ship alone... and only 3 days on her....

Hi Laura,

Good to hear form you.

I think we will also stay on the ship in Nassau! I am just not convinced she is ready to swim with the Dolphins, but maybe by next year as this would be a great experience for her.

I think she will have more fun on the ship this time around with it being less crowded at the pools. I looked at the Navigator and there is not a lot going on that day, which is nice, so we will make it a pool day. And once she tires out, I can put her down for a nap so she is fresh for the activities later in the day. I may need one as well…lol. :p

Each time I play her the DVD she asks me to go to the pool area, so this is definitely her interest, so we will let her play till her heart is content or body is water logged. ;) She should be fine on the waterslide, but am hoping she will be able to go down with her floaties on. Does anyone know if they will allow her to wear her floaties on the slide? Silly question maybe but one never knows…

I guess I will see you at the pool, sun tanning, sun glasses with sunscreen. :p

Cindy

We just got back from the Bahamas, and stumbled over a place I never knew existed.

It is Blackbeards Cay, just across from Cable Beach. We were beaching at the Wyndham, and was interested in the boats that were going "there". We asked the water sports guy, and he directed us to the banana boat ride guy. He charged us $10 PP round trip, and then $10 PP to get on the island. The place was a PARADISE.

So I was shocked when I saw boats pull up from the cruise ships. So I just looked it up. There's an excursion called Thriller Powerboat to Blackbeards Cay. It's a 30 minute ride from the pier, and unfortunately a three hour tour altogether.

See some pix here:

http://community.webshots.com/album/403621087eIcono

There's also jet skiing, parasailing, swimming with the stingrays, snorkling, and even has a bar and grill.

This is also known as Sandals Cay, as it is shared, and their private beach and area is on the other side. We walked over there and found a pool. Wasn't bold enough to see if I could go swimming there.

But, if you even happen to be making that trek to Cable Beach, see if you can find Captain Mike, the banana boat guy. He may take you over there as well for the right price! just tell him when you want to be picked up!

Great pictures! Thank you for sharing! This may be something we would want to do when it is just DH and I!

Cindy

we are sailing next month and we are planning on doing the swim/wade with the stingrays booked with Shoretrips.com; DS will be 4 the day after we disembark from dis cruise and he was free for this excursion. you might want to check out this website for some ideas of stuff to do in Nassau if your kind of iffy. Hope this helps!;)

sailed on magic in '99 with DD3 and DS7. We should have stayed on the ship. We took the beach day excursion and it rained. And they led us on a wild goose chase to find the beach we were supposed to be on. After the rain, we went to the aquarium. Then we were too tired to walk back to the launch dock so we took a taxi to the port and the driver took us right up to the gangplank. we must've look really tired. He was very nice.

go to look at aquarium then return to boat for nice peaceful afternoon.

enjoy your cruise. It was the best trip we ever took, so far.

we are sailing next month and we are planning on doing the swim/wade with the stingrays booked with Shoretrips.com; DS will be 4 the day after we disembark from dis cruise and he was free for this excursion. you might want to check out this website for some ideas of stuff to do in Nassau if your kind of iffy. Hope this helps!;)

Hi Frankiesmom,

Thank you for your help. I will check it out and keep it on the back burner for the time being since we have less than 60 days and we all know anything can change within that time frame.

Happy Birthday to you son! Great Birthday present for him! Please let me know how he enjoys the Stingrays as Sierra is 4!

Thank you!

Cindy

• 5 weeks later...

We got off in Nassau for about 2 hours then came back. Had lunch on the ship did the pool, wasn't crowded. Had a massage at 4pm got ready for dinner at Palo's. It was fun to have dinner at Palo's as the ship leaves Nassau pretty to see all the lights.

My sister in law and family did blue lagoon they liked it but was very tired with 4 kids in tow and it takes 30 minutes to get there (could be wrong about how long it takes to get there)

Anyway whichever way you choose Disney is fun enjoy the ship

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Laura,

I finally made it to the baords this evening....lol. I just posted to you on our board...on Crusie Critic...lol! I seen your green light on....I will be over to

our board in a few...girl only 13 more days! WooHoo!

See aren't you glad you didn't give up? :p

C

stay on the ship!! we traveled with another family in feb 2005 on DCL and really enjoyed our "down" day. the kids were in the oceaneer club all day and oved every minute of it. we hit the adult only deck of the ship and got some sun, had a relaxing lunch, and even had time to hit the spa. nassau is not the best port in the world, although my best friend and i did get off the ship just long enough to buy some liquor--so much cheaper than in the states.

we were all glad we stayed on the ship!

• 4 weeks later...

For those traveling with little ones, you might enjoy a day at the local Zoo. It's close by (you can take a cab and then walk back if you want to enjoy the walk along the beachpath).

Check it out at:

http://www.ardastra.com

They have animals wandering freely, a marching flamingo show, interaction with parrots and parakeets etc. Small and compact, great for the little ones.

Sorry, the idea of "an empty ship" when the boat is docked at Nassau is a myth. It is just as busy. I think everyone got the idea to stay on the boat because they heard it was less crowded. We stayed on board and there were lots of activities for my daughter at the kid's club.

Jennifer

Hi! Just returned from 10/9/05 - 4 day Disney Wonder cruise. We did the Atlantis Beach Day adventure... The tour of aquarium was GREAT! Loved it! We had a very nice, sweet, informative tour guide......

Lunch was burgers at their snack stand........ OK....

I did not care for the beach.... Silly me.... I had been to Atlantis before... and thought that our beach day would be at the hotel lagoon beach..... WRONG! Although it is Atlantis Beach - you walk through the resort to beach - run like a pack - to secure your beach chair - bathrooms are not conveniently located......... just not my cup of tea......

Wish I had stayed on the ship!!! :) avlski

• 1 month later...

There is a lovely uncrowded beach at the end of PI called Cabbage Beach just past the One and Only, the Premier flagship hotel for Kerzner on the island. You can take a taxi directly there from the ship or from Atlantis, or walk although it is a hike. The outisde bar there is divine and the food fab. (My husband swears he saw Sandra Bullock).We brough snorkel stuff the first time and made " chairs " out of the sandy slope. There is a rock barrier and the fish there are pretty.

For the last three years we have taken a short trip off the ship downtown. Mi kids were 6,6, and 8 when we began. We walked over to the free beach and took a horse and carriage ride. it gave the kids some exposure to the local customs, and had some time away from the ship. They look forward to this each year. They like to go to the straw market and shop also.

I would plan two hours to explore,then back to the ship..It works for us....

We just returned from the Disney Wonder in October....we have a 7-year-old and almost 4-year-old. We left them on the ship because we really didn't feel that they would enjoy Nassau, and we really wanted to spend some time at Atlantis and shop...which is boring to kids. We were so glad we left them behind. They spent 5 hours in the kids' club, and were disappointed to see us come back. They begged every chance they had to go to the club. If your kids are social and love having a good time, take advantage of the clubs....they are wonderful. They give you a chance to spent time with your spouse, and have a little adult time. You'll have a pager, so if your kids need you, you're not far away. We didn't plan any excursions, and if you do, that might hamper your ability to leave them behind. If you're the middle of an excursion, it would be hard to get back to the ship.

Archived