What electronic device(s) do you sail with?

RMM34667

Netbook -- more for the transit times (airports and planes) than the cruise itself. Probably won't use it on the cruise at all, but I'm one of those people who has to be able to get on the internet while on vacation at least every couple of days.

iPhone -- it's got a wealth of utilities, including music and audiobook player, flashlight, compass, maps, alarm clock. And games -- Scrabble is an acceptable dinner partner ;)

Kobo -- an e-reader is much more convenient than carrying a pile of heavy books.

DSLR camera and possibly a point and shoot camera, though if I upgrade my iPhone before I leave, my new one will have a decent camera and I'll leave my point-and-shoot at home.

Various connector cables and batteries for all of the above.

We try to keep it simple while on vacation or at least try. We have our cell phones for emergencies along with our cameras (1 point & shoot and 1 DSLR). Of course that means the charges for everything.

That being said, I do enjoy reading and do not have much time while im at home, so I have bought myself an Ipad and will take it with me on my next cruise. I do not think I will do much reading on the cruise but I will on the flights to and from. Again, that is another charger.

What device do you use when sailing? Laptop? Netbook? Tablet?

I usually take my laptop and last cruise I did bring my HP Tablet (which I have since given to my brother) I love the laptop for email and such. I also loved my tablet used as a reader. Especially at night when my cabin mate(s) were sleeping.

So now I'm looking at replacing my tablet. I am considering Galaxy Tab (8 in), Kindle Fire or a Netbook.

If I go with the Netbook I'll leave the laptop at home and bring a few books. (will cost about $300)

If I go with the Galaxy Tab it's a refurbished through Verizon which I will add to my share everything plan still bring my laptop. ($300)

With the Kindle I'll download some books, maybe movies and still bring my laptop. ($199)

What do you bring? and Why?

I bring my Sony Tablet so I can read my books, listen to music, download my pictures/videos from by Sony Bloggie (which I also bring), and the kids load up some shows on there to watch while traveling. DS takes his laptop. DD takes her iPod. Both kids bring their Ninetindo DS (mostly for playing when traveling.) The cell phones are with us but turned off and locked in the safe while cruising.

Archived