Does anyone stay on the ship?

cruiseguyforever

I just got back Sunday from sailing on the Carnival Magic. We were supposed to go to Jamaica, Grand Cayman's and Cozumel, but we were changed to Key West, Costa Maya and still went to Cozumel. I did not like Key West at all!! It was some sort of festival coming up and there were top less ladies walking around and saw several ladies in very short skirts with no undies on. And this was in the middle of the day. I was very uncomfortable and we went back to the ship early! Now it may not be like that during "normal" times. But I would have stayed on the ship!!

It's a shame you didn't find the little Key West aquarium. Your child would have loved it. And please don't judge Key West by the day you were here. Fantasy Fest is like Mardi Gras on steroids! Most of the people you saw were tourists! Maybe you should have talked to the people at the shore excursion desk for ideas. You would have loved the Hemingway House, the Lighthouse, the Mel Fisher Museum, and the Custom House. Even the Conch Tour train would have entertained your 4 year old.

We tried to stop at a couple of those places in our rented buggy, but could not find any parking within a half mile.

I hate to judge a place on one visit in a less than optimal time, but it was just a culmination of things that kinda turned me off to the place. I really don't have much interest in going back. I didn't really hate the place, I can see the appeal, but I grew up in Austin TX, which is basically like Key West without the ocean. Lots of strange characters, tons of good live music and dive bars. It is a fun place, but If someone told me I was going there on my vacation, I would probably be kind of disapointed. If I was going there on a tuesday night after work to catch a band play, I would be stoked! I guess its hard to explain, Key West just didn't have that vacation luster to it, for me at least.

Archived