What other cruises will Atlantis and RSVP offer in the summer of 2013?

IslandExplorer

Greetings from a newbie everyone,

Does anyone know what RSVP and Atlantic cruises are going to be offered in the summer of 2013? (Apart from the ones already announced on their websites, that is.) Will there not be a Baltic cruise this summer?

Because of my business scheduling, I have to try to plan everything 9-12 months or so in advance.

Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're saying you're pissed off with Atlantis & RSVP for charging so much for their gay cruises, I do hear you. It's a shame really. I wish they would wake up and do what it takes to offer more affordable cruises. I suppose what the market needs is more competition.

For the cruise in September, you'll be able to fly to Holland fairly cheaply from the UK. This might make it more affordable for you. And let's hope the port fees are not so high.

We just did a "straight" cruise. It was fine and ridiculously cheap, but we definitely prefer an all-gay cruise.

We would LOVE to do an Atlantis cruise but they're so expensive compared to regular cruises.

What is the extra 50% in cost paying for?

Supply and demand play a big role. There are dozens of ordinary cruises leaving nearly every day somewhere in the world. There are maybe a dozen all-gay charter cruises a year. And some of them sell out despite the price. The money goes partly to compensate for taking the risk of chartering an entire ship. Then there is all the extra entertainment. The equipment for the many dance parties. And IMHO, they are worth it.

What is the extra 50% in cost paying for?

If the Gay Surcharge was only 50%, I would gladly pay it. However, in reality it is more like double the price of a 'Straight' cruise. Take a look at any of the chartered ships the week before or after and you will see a huge difference. For the price of a Gay Cruise on Royal, I can sail on Oceania or even Crystal.

And some of them sell out despite the price.

Bingo. That hits the nail on the head. As a group, we seem to be willing to pay these extra prices. However, if a competitor ever arose to offer gay cruises at regular rates, I suspect many would switch allegiance immediately.

Then there is all the extra entertainment. The equipment for the many dance parties. And IMHO, they are worth it.

I don't go to these parties. So why should I still have to pay double? They should charge an entry fee or something.

And IMHO, they are worth it.

These cruises are fun, but they are not a bargain. I don't feel that the added value that Atlantis brings to the experience is worth paying 200% of the normal asking price.

If the Gay Surcharge was only 50%, I would gladly pay it. However, in reality it is more like double the price of a 'Straight' cruise. Take a look at any of the chartered ships the week before or after and you will see a huge difference. For the price of a Gay Cruise on Royal, I can sail on Oceania or even Crystal.

It is not a "gay surcharge". Look at the price of any charter and you will see that it is much more expensive than a regular cruise.

Bingo. That hits the nail on the head. As a group, we seem to be willing to pay these extra prices. However, if a competitor ever arose to offer gay cruises at regular rates, I suspect many would switch allegiance immediately.

There is no way any charter could be done for the same price as a regukar cruise. The charter company takes on the risk of 'renting' the whole ship and they are not a charity, they do it to make money.

I am from what has been called "one of those regular threads". I was curious to find out what is discussed on these threads. You see, when I cruise I usually am befriended by gay individuals and gay couples. I wondered why that was. I asked and was told that I looked friendly. That was news to me. :)

I have seen the videos on Atlantis and RSVP cruises and they do look like a lot of fun. I would be so out of place on one of those cruises. :D The discussion on this thread got me to thinking. Why do there need to be separate cruises? I travel solo and pay the single supplement. :eek: I love my own cabin so I pay the price. But, paying 50%-100% more for a specialty cruise seems excessive. How can anyone afford that?

More than anything, I really don't like the whole idea of separate cruises. Thurgood Marshall was talking about schools, but he was right when he said "separate but equal" has no place. I feel it applies to cruises as well.

I enjoy meeting different types of people on a cruise. :cool: If more cruise lines could just accommodate the interests of more passengers that would make me very happy.

I don't see it as a "separate" cruise; it's just a cruise of like minded people. Just as you can have a charter cruise with lovers of blues or jazz music, or people of a certain political persuasion. It doesn't mean that is the only kind of vacation - or cruise - we would take.

But also consider that as a heterosexual you are part of the majority every day and everywhere you go, you don't even have to think about it or don't even realize it. Try to imagine being part of the minority every day and everywhere and then getting the opportunity to be, for once, part of the majority. That is quite a powerful experience.

There is no way any charter could be done for the same price as a regukar cruise.

I never thought of that. My assumption has been that Atlantis is expoiting its monopoly.

Still, I think they could charge extra for the parties. Those of us who aren't into these parties are subsidising the party-goers.

Still, I think they could charge extra for the parties. Those of us who aren't into these parties are subsidising the party-goers.

There are other entertainment offered that I may not be interested in but I don't think they should charge extra for that. Once they start charging for an event they have to control entry and exit and that is just not feasible for a big party on an outside deck.

Yes, but the problem remains: Atlantis is the only circus in town, and they are charging us top dollar, whether we like it or not. Sure, an Atlantis cruise is a lot of fun, but it's simply too damn expensive for most gay people. Effectively, it's cruising for rich gays only.

I don't see it as a "separate" cruise; it's just a cruise of like minded people. Just as you can have a charter cruise with lovers of blues or jazz music, or people of a certain political persuasion. It doesn't mean that is the only kind of vacation - or cruise - we would take.

But also consider that as a heterosexual you are part of the majority every day and everywhere you go, you don't even have to think about it or don't even realize it. Try to imagine being part of the minority every day and everywhere and then getting the opportunity to be, for once, part of the majority. That is quite a powerful experience.

Peter, thanks for your response. I understand everything you say. I would love to hear live jazz on a cruise. The intent of my post was to express my desire for a more diverse cruise experience. I am a member of a few minorities so I do understand your point on that. I am reminded of my minority status every day. Trust me.

You obviously enjoy RSVP cruises so I guess we will never meet on a cruise. You see I am a retired, older guy using a mobility device.

I heard that Hurricane Sandy (Category 4, spanning 800 miles) is causing lots of severe weather along the east coast. It is slow moving and therefore dumping lots of water in its patch. It is not expected to touch down on land for 36 hours, but is already causing lots of problems.

A few developments:

Coastal Staten Island being evacuated.

Parts of Manhattan being evacuated.

Broadway shows closed tonight and tomorrow night.

Lots of airline flights are being cancelled in and out of the areas affected.

Hoping that everyone in its path are prepared and stay safe.

There are other entertainment offered that I may not be interested in but I don't think they should charge extra for that. Once they start charging for an event they have to control entry and exit and that is just not feasible for a big party on an outside deck.

It could be feasible. There is always a solution to a problem if you look hard enough.

Peter - have you got an Atlantis Cheerleaders outfit ???????? Ha ha ha

You obviously enjoy RSVP cruises so I guess we will never meet on a cruise. You see I am a retired, older guy using a mobility device.

We have people like you on RSVP cruises too. :) I have one non-RSVP cruise so never say never. ;)

Hoping that everyone in its path are prepared and stay safe.

Thanks. I work Downtown Manhattan and out building will be closed so I will be working from home. The subways are shutting down as I type this, buses will stop by 9:00 pm. So it is either don;t go to work or work from home. We have what we need for a few days - hopefully we don't lose power.

It could be feasible. There is always a solution to a problem if you look hard enough.

Peter - have you got an Atlantis Cheerleaders outfit ???????? Ha ha ha

Look at my signature... not an Atlantis cruise in that list ;) I started on RSVP before Atlantis bought it.

Then there is all the extra entertainment. The equipment for the many dance parties. And IMHO, they are worth it.

I agree with you fully. This is my one shot all year long to hang with my brothers for a week, and I'm glad it is always a memorable experience - on many levels! I was very skeptical about cruising at all, but my first RSVP trip to Alaska made me a believer.

Peter

I never thought of that. My assumption has been that Atlantis is exploiting its monopoly.....

You could hear a lot of complaining about service both before and after a cruise from slow getting pre cruise docs to waiting years for the cruise videos, but they do put on a heck of a show and despite the level of service there is quite a loyal following. If another operation came to town and really gave that top notch service both before and after and produced a comparable cruise, who knows, not a lot of people want to sign on that dotted line to commit to filling a brand new ship.

Yes, but the problem remains: Atlantis is the only circus in town, and they are charging us top dollar, whether we like it or not. Sure, an Atlantis cruise is a lot of fun, but it's simply too damn expensive for most gay people. Effectively, it's cruising for rich gays only.

For gay men and women, the average household income is nearly 80% above the average U.S. household income. 83% of U.S. lesbian and gay men have a current passport, compared to 34% of all adult US citizens. Many if not most of these charters do sell out, yes they are expensive, but there is usually several pricing categories that make it doable including cabin shares. I personally prefer to have my own room so I must pay the single supplement and i definitely don't consider myself rich. I got hooked after my first charter prior to that i never dreamed I'd ever pay that much for a vacation

But also consider that as a heterosexual you are part of the majority every day and everywhere you go, you don't even have to think about it or don't even realize it. Try to imagine being part of the minority every day and everywhere and then getting the opportunity to be, for once, part of the majority. That is quite a powerful experience

this is what hooked me, i can't begin to express how powerful an experience it was for me onboard Liberty Of the Seas in 2010.

Archived