msc vs carnival??

Virginia21

Okay, I haven't read all this thread as the beginning was a bit heated by the obnoxious serial anti msc poster who shall remain nameless.

I have sailed Carnival many times recently as my daughter has been a dancer for them the last 4 yrs.

Both of my daughters & I just sailed on MSC Divina and so I feel qualified to answer this thread.

Things I preferred on MSC - The ship was beautiful - far more classy than Carnival, although I didn't dislike the Carnival ships.

The entertainment...in some ways. Love the variety of entertainment around the ship but love the production shows on Carnival (these are being phased out though on Carnival). It was wonderful to hear a piano recital and opera tribute on MSC and classical music every day as well as the popular stuff. Sometimes the evening shows were too alike but overall the entertainment on MSC was superior.

While they still annoy you to take photos...it's far less than Carnival.

While sitting on pool deck, it's not the hard sell on drinks. Probably because most take the Allegrissimo package.

Things I prefer on Carnival - Variety in the buffet restaurant. Nothing changes in the breakfast offerings on MSC. At least a few things alter on Carnival.

Dinner on the one night we chose to eat in the buffet on MSC was truly woeful. Virtually no choice.

Daytime entertainment - I think this is limited on MSC because of the language issue and so it's not such a big deal to me - I loved other parts of this cultural divide.

At the end of the day...each cruise line has it's merits and it's nice to sample them all and experience the differences!!

I would most likely go with itinerary...more likely than not NCL (Houston!) Royal Caribbean and Carnival in Caribbean, and MSC in the Europe (Black Sea, Holy Land and even Longyearbyen).

Edited by sthelder

Russ,

You obviously understood that meant the decor was NOT to my taste on Carnival, though I missed the not in my post :). I will try to give you my thoughts when we come back. Won't be back until late April as heading off back home on Indy after the Poesia cruise. WE have done 2 transatlantics on Liberty and all loved the ship.

WE were very tempted to do Celebrity reflection the week we are doing Poesia, but the ports were all the same as we are doing the following week on the Transatlantic, so opted for a complete change and trying MSC. I am really looking forward to it now.

I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on MSC after you return. We will try Celebrity this New Year's for the first time. I am really looking forward to trying them. I have preferences for some lines over other lines, but I love trying different cruise lines too. I think I may enjoy the MSC brand. There ships look absolutely gorgeous.

Hi there,

I just started looking into some msc cruises as the rates seem quite reasonable, which is great! Ive only cruised carnival, so if any of you have cruised both, what is the diffeerence in terms of food, cabins, kids clubs etc? Do they have water slides as well as pools.

my son is 7 he really loved the carnival camps.

thanks so much, any info would be appreciated!

trish

I have cruised on both. They are very far apart on the cruise scale in my opinion.

Carnival - The Fun Ship, American

MSC - Classy, Elegant, Italian

• 6 months later...

So I'm a novice cruiser. To date I have only been on two cruises and both Carnival. Having not been on any other cruise line I dont have the experience to compare. I did find both Carnival boats to be Las Vegas/gaudy-like. Not to say I didnt enjoy the experiences. Heck, aside from an extreme example most of life is what you make of it right?

So, we decided to take our third cruise and we're taking our daughter and my mother-in-law who has never been on a cruise before. I'll be honest, if money was no object we would have gone on one of the RC Oasis class boats and I've heard so much about them but we are on a budget so that experience will have to wait a couple of years.

We spent a month looking and looking(6 months ago) and stumbled on the Thanksgiving cruise on the MSC Divina this year(2013). For the holiday cruise we found the rate to be exceptional so we read review after review. Both good and bad. We watched every video we could find and decided to throw caution to the wind and book it. The boat is so young and I really like the elegant approach to decor I figured, how bad could it be?

We will visit St. Maarten, San Juan and Great Stirrup Cay. St. Maarten is a destination I am most looking forward to. The others not as much but this trip was an affordable option to expose both my daughter and mother-in-law to cruising. If they like it we'll plan a southern Caribbean cruise for 2014.

It is my understanding this "Thanksgiving" week cruise is the first Caribbean run for the Divina as its been cruising the Med since new. I think the only reservation I have is if there takes an adaptation from European cruise system to one serving a more American market.

Craig

MSC ships have much more beautiful interiors and better enterainment Italian style. Entertainment was more interesting than on oue last RCI's cruises, especially live musi. I am not sure about Divina, but Poesia in march during spring break had many less kids onboard than other major lines ships. It is probably expensive to fly large families overseas.

Enjoy.

. The boat is so young and I really like the elegant approach to decor I figured, how bad could it be?

We will visit St. Maarten, San Juan and Great Stirrup Cay. St. Maarten is a destination I am most looking forward to. The others not as much but this trip was an affordable option to expose both my daughter and mother-in-law to cruising. If they like it we'll plan a southern Caribbean cruise for 2014.

It is my understanding this "Thanksgiving" week cruise is the first Caribbean run for the Divina as its been cruising the Med since new. I think the only reservation I have is if there takes an adaptation from European cruise system to one serving a more American market.

Craig

Welcome to MSC! Go with an open mind. Remember how much cheaper it is than most of the competitors and have a fantastic cruise.

There are way too many people whining about MSC and forgetting what a good deal they got.

Good price is a weak consolation for a bad cruise as vacation time is scarce.

I do not believe that the only advantage of MSC is a good price. Not in our experience. :)

Edited by Tatka

So I'm a novice cruiser. To date I have only been on two cruises and both Carnival. Having not been on any other cruise line I dont have the experience to compare. I did find both Carnival boats to be Las Vegas/gaudy-like. Not to say I didnt enjoy the experiences. Heck, aside from an extreme example most of life is what you make of it right?

So, we decided to take our third cruise and we're taking our daughter and my mother-in-law who has never been on a cruise before. I'll be honest, if money was no object we would have gone on one of the RC Oasis class boats and I've heard so much about them but we are on a budget so that experience will have to wait a couple of years.

We spent a month looking and looking(6 months ago) and stumbled on the Thanksgiving cruise on the MSC Divina this year(2013). For the holiday cruise we found the rate to be exceptional so we read review after review. Both good and bad. We watched every video we could find and decided to throw caution to the wind and book it. The boat is so young and I really like the elegant approach to decor I figured, how bad could it be?

Craig

What Carnival ships?

Comparisons make sense only if you compare ships.

The Carnival Miracle is not Carnival Breeze. Neither of them is Carnival Ecstasy.

It's much more productive to ask questions on CC before one books a cruise, not after.:)

"European cruise system" does not exist.

Cruising industry standards do.

Enjoy your cruise.

Welcome to MSC! Go with an open mind. Remember how much cheaper it is than most of the competitors and have a fantastic cruise.

There are way too many people whining about MSC and forgetting what a good deal they got.

Generally speaking, yes.

But prices vary.

We were preparing for the Divina (due to the price) but found a better price for a better cabin on a better ship and better itinerary.

What Carnival ships?

Comparisons make sense only if you compare ships.

I've only been on the once Carnival Destiny(its since been renamed I'm told) and the Carnival Inspiration. My wife and Mom are currently on board the Breeze and return this Sunday.

Craig

I've only been on the once Carnival Destiny(its since been renamed I'm told) and the Carnival Inspiration. My wife and Mom are currently on board the Breeze and return this Sunday.

Craig

The Destiny and Inspiration are the older Carnival ships - actually ships of the past.

The Destiny is a remarkable ship in cruise industry history. Destiny class is a big family of cruise ships operated by c

Carnival and Costa.

Most of them are improved Destiny derivatives, especially new Costa ships.

The Breeze is a way better ship than the original Destiny.

So you've done all Carnival fleet except the Spirit class (considered by many as the niciest).

Yes, it's time to try somethig different.

The Breeze can be compared with the Divina - variations of the same class.

Public rooms - comparable in size (decor is a matter of taste).

Major difference - open decks.

More nickel and diming on the Divina.

Happy cruising!

Edited by cruisetrail

Just so you know, last poster have not sailed with either of companies and cannot provide details other than from pieces of information read.

Atmosphere, passenger mix, approach to different things on the ships of these two companies are completely different.

For example you will hear less public announcements, you will experience less questions about drinks (they will still happen, but after No drink menu on your table will be turned down and no more questions). MSC has more live entertainnent going on every night in various lounges and bars.

Shows in the main theater will be mainly production shows with singing and dancing, due to international pax.

In April we sailed on the MSC Poesia and the Carnival Breeze back-to-back and enjoyed both of our cruises with maybe a slight preference to the Poesia. Before that we had only sailed on Royal Caribbean. We met the most wonderful people on the Poesia which I think made all the difference, despite loving certain aspects of the Breeze.

I think you should go with an open mind. All cruise lines have their pluses and minuses and we are sailing on another Carnival ship and planning on two more MSC cruises for 2014. :D

In April we sailed on the MSC Poesia and the Carnival Breeze back-to-back and enjoyed both of our cruises with maybe a slight preference to the Poesia. Before that we had only sailed on Royal Caribbean. We met the most wonderful people on the Poesia which I think made all the difference, despite loving certain aspects of the Breeze.

I think you should go with an open mind. All cruise lines have their pluses and minuses and we are sailing on another Carnival ship and planning on two more MSC cruises for 2014. :D

There are so many positive people on this forum. I wish you guys were dining at my table!!!

Craig

The Breeze can be compared with the Divina - variations of the same class - I mean the quality of the product (not the same class of ships from engineering point of view).

Public rooms - comparable in size (decor is a matter of taste).

Major difference - open decks.

More nickel and diming on the Divina.

Speaking of open decks, new Carnival ships are more open to the sea while MCS fantasia class is more closed in.

Front observation decks on the new Carnival ships (non available on MCS Fantasia-Splendida-Divina):

2mxpgmq.jpg

Carnival managed to feature a part of promenade wrapping the stern:

24yoff9.jpg

2qbaqts.jpg

Premium areas of upper deck on MSC Divina are reserved for Yacht Club guests (forward part) or available for extra charge (midships part).

There are no restrictions like that on the large Carnivals.

It will be interesting competition between three cruise lines (Carnival, NCL and MSC) that offer similar quality product for the same market segment (unless they have an agreement...:))

Enjoy your cruise!

Could you please explain this statement?

Unbelievable

"Quiet sun deck" for extra charge - should be free.

Minor but annoying

Piazza Del Doge (an equivalent of "atrium cafe") - food for extra charge.

Food in venues like this is free on cruise ships.

I've not been on carnival or msc (yet!) but from what I have seen and heard so far about carnival is that it is like a floating Blackpool ( Fellow Brits will know where I mean)

I say each to their own. It doesn't matter really who you sail with, it's what you make it. I just count myself lucky that I can go on cruises. A lot of people around the world can't afford a holiday (vacation) of any description.

Happy cruising one and all! :)

Absolutely. :)

But why this question or list?

- I believe we should start with a sport's court. Why should we included there on the modern ship?

- What should entertainment include, and how much of it should be provided?

- How kid's club should look like, and what activities? What activities should be provided for babies, kids, teenagers?

If it is not clear from my previous analogy:

Is there a strict list of things that should be included in spa on the modern ship?

And what is a modern ship? Does any of the major or luxury lines have antique vessels still in their fleet? :D

Edited by Tatka

• 4 years later...

Well, almost 5 years later... I found this post while reviewing cruises, and I must say I didn't know people could get so upset over cruise line preferences, especially those who practically demand that their point of view is the only point of view.

Folks, everyone cruises for their own reasons. For wife and I, we just love to get on a 'big boat,' travel, and leave our worries behind. We are platinum level Carnival cruisers, but our preference is RCCL. We've sailed on the smallest, oldest CCL ships (Elation, Ecstacy, Paradise, Fascination), and one the largest (CCL Vista, Dream, Breeze, RCCL Freedom of the Seas, RCCL Oasis of the Seas). We've been on great cruises and less than great cruises, but we've come to realize that cruising is what you make it. I suppose if you're independently wealthy you can pay for a cruise where you get perfection and expect to be waited on hand and foot. Most of us haven't reached that level and just enjoy cruising.

Have I had great experiences on the ships we have sailed? Yes. Have we had some poor experiences? Yes. But we've never been on a bad cruise. We've never sailed on MSC, NCL, Princess, or others, but I expect they have good ships and experiences, as well as their share of problems also. Again, satisfaction is based on the perception of the cruiser. For many people one bad experience seems to shape their entire opinion of anything.

If you're looking to try a new ship and/or cruise line, beware those with blatant negative opinions. Me, I don't like strawberries. If you ask me about strawberries, I'll tell you everyone personal reason why you shouldn't like them. However, there are many people who like strawberries, and they'll tell you that. You must try one to see if you like them.

Enough said, cruise on!

Well, almost 5 years later... I found this post while reviewing cruises, and I must say I didn't know people could get so upset over cruise line preferences, especially those who practically demand that their point of view is the only point of view.

Folks, everyone cruises for their own reasons. For wife and I, we just love to get on a 'big boat,' travel, and leave our worries behind. We are platinum level Carnival cruisers, but our preference is RCCL. We've sailed on the smallest, oldest CCL ships (Elation, Ecstacy, Paradise, Fascination), and one the largest (CCL Vista, Dream, Breeze, RCCL Freedom of the Seas, RCCL Oasis of the Seas). We've been on great cruises and less than great cruises, but we've come to realize that cruising is what you make it. I suppose if you're independently wealthy you can pay for a cruise where you get perfection and expect to be waited on hand and foot. Most of us haven't reached that level and just enjoy cruising.

Have I had great experiences on the ships we have sailed? Yes. Have we had some poor experiences? Yes. But we've never been on a bad cruise. We've never sailed on MSC, NCL, Princess, or others, but I expect they have good ships and experiences, as well as their share of problems also. Again, satisfaction is based on the perception of the cruiser. For many people one bad experience seems to shape their entire opinion of anything.

If you're looking to try a new ship and/or cruise line, beware those with blatant negative opinions. Me, I don't like strawberries. If you ask me about strawberries, I'll tell you everyone personal reason why you shouldn't like them. However, there are many people who like strawberries, and they'll tell you that. You must try one to see if you like them.

Enough said, cruise on!

Well said. I do have one point to add. I save so each year we can do a family vacation. I feel that cruising offers a great option. I’ve been on 10 cruises (Carnival, NCL, Disney and MSC). We don’t have a lot to spend so I look for the best deal. We just sailed on the MSC Seaside and while it was a new ship and cruise line for us, I was not happy with many parts of this cruise line and cruise ship. We were able to make the best of our cruise as you are right...it’s what you make it. You know how you have that favorite meal you get at a restaurant and you try something different only to be disappointed and saying I wish I would have just ordered my usual. That’s how we felt. If you don’t cruise much or not that often I would say - unless you feel you have to try something different I would just stay with what you like best. Don’t get me wrong it’s good to try new things as you will never know what will surprise you or disappoint you. We have already booked our next cruise on RCCL Harmony of the Sea...hope we are surprised not disappointed but either way we will have a new experience. Maybe in the future we will try MSC again but not for some time or until we see more good than bad on reviews as most of the reviews we felt were spot on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well said. I do have one point to add. I save so each year we can do a family vacation. I feel that cruising offers a great option. I’ve been on 10 cruises (Carnival, NCL, Disney and MSC). We don’t have a lot to spend so I look for the best deal. We just sailed on the MSC Seaside and while it was a new ship and cruise line for us, I was not happy with many parts of this cruise line and cruise ship. We were able to make the best of our cruise as you are right...it’s what you make it. You know how you have that favorite meal you get at a restaurant and you try something different only to be disappointed and saying I wish I would have just ordered my usual. That’s how we felt. If you don’t cruise much or not that often I would say - unless you feel you have to try something different I would just stay with what you like best. Don’t get me wrong it’s good to try new things as you will never know what will surprise you or disappoint you. We have already booked our next cruise on RCCL Harmony of the Sea...hope we are surprised not disappointed but either way we will have a new experience. Maybe in the future we will try MSC again but not for some time or until we see more good than bad on reviews as most of the reviews we felt were spot on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Mericker... Well stated. Everyone has choices and certain tolerance levels. Like you, we enjoy cruising and try to save to ensure atleast an annual cruise. We really have never had a bad cruise...just some are better than others. We are pretty laid back and things need to be real bad to gain our attention. We have cruised numerous lines but have cruised more heavily on Carnival due to our children.... But as you stated above.... we became accustomed to the Carnival way of things and are very comfortable with the consistency of their brand, product and service. This being said...we are going outside our comfort zone the end of the month and will be on the Seaside. I am looking forward to the experience and making my observations. We are fortunate to be in Yacht Club which I am very much looking forward to.... as well as enjoying what the ship has to offer. I am encouraged about the more positive feedback coming on this board from recent cruises. I plan on sharing my observations as well.

Edited by lcpagejr