NCL specialty restaurants with a toddler

cruisegirl06

I realize I could post this on the NCL board, but figured I would try here first, since its a family question and this board seems to be very helpful!

Our one-year-old daughter is used to eating out with us for meals at sit-down restaurants and usually does pretty, we plan to eat in the MDRs most nights, and don't foresee major issues (but realize our plans may need adjustments as we go).

We are sailing over our anniversary and I'd like to do a specialty restaurant one night to celebrate. Would Le Bistro and/or Cagney's be okay to bring her to? I assume so, since they are not "adults only" (for the sake of comparison, we recently did Palo on DCL, and even if it were not adults only, that would have been too much for her; while, I think she would have been fine in the main dining rooms). Is there a certain time that would be better in terms of other kids in the specialty restaurants? (I am primarily anticipating her babbling a lot and food winding up on the floor).

Another option is to go later once she is asleep, with her in the stroller. She is a very sound sleeper, and this may be the way to go. Has anyone done this in these restaurants? Is there enough space to navigate with an umbrella stroller?

She is more than welcome - I believe I read somewhere that kids have to be seated before 7:00 in specialty restaurants. So why don't you make an early reservation at 5 or 6 and she'll be up and hungry and you can enjoy a nice meal.

You'll get the "toddlers shouldn't be there" argument, but they are certainly welcome. As with anywhere, you should take her out if she gets fussy, but I'm sure as a parent you already realize that. Enjoy and have fun!

LeBistro is a little quieter and more romantic, so while that sounds nice for you, maybe her happy babbles would be better in Cagney's (or even Moderno - if you like meat - YUMMMM - not sure what ship you're on)

Enjoy your anniversary!

LeBistro isn't conducive to kids as it's really a more adult restaurant and dining there can take a long time--something an infant might not do well with---it's really not comparable to at home sit down places. Any of the other venues would be OK, but be prepared for comments about an infant being there. Best to book an early reservation so as to avoid any hassles.

My son is about to go on his third cruise and at age 3 has eaten at all of the NCL restaurants except LeBistro. We eat out often in real life and he does really well, so he does the same thing on cruises. We did have one night in Cagney's where he got antsy so I took him out and five minutes later we were good. Enjoy:D

Thanks all. We definitely take her out of restaurants if she starts to be noisy/has potential to interfere with other diners' meals. I was thinking about Moderno too, as it looks fun and a bit more casual/likely to have a bit more ambient noise.

Sounds like we will for sure wait on Le Bistro until she's old enough for the kids clubs and we can do a proper date night:)

You can also put in a request to your waiters to speed up your meal. They should be able to accommodate the request provided they are not too busy, though obviously it is only a request.

We plan on taking our 2 year old daughter to either Cagney's or Le Bistro (she usually does very well when being out at nice restaurants). I figure we'll dine around 5 or 5:30 so that there's less of a chance of bothering other diners, and of course we'll bring some crayons and snacks to keep her occupied. Worse comes to worse, she gets antsy and we have to leave early. Such is life with a toddler.

We did NCL EPIC earlier this year and saw plenty of babies and toddlers in the specialty restaurants. They are not charged a fee if they order from the kids menu. They are half price if they order from the "adult" menu. We took our kids to Moderno, La Cucina and the regular dining rooms. We didnt take them to Cagney's or the Cirque show dinner since we thought that was a more adult oriented setting. You will see babies and kids in each dining establishment just as you do at home. Enjoy your cruise!!

Thanks all. We definitely take her out of restaurants if she starts to be noisy/has potential to interfere with other diners' meals. I was thinking about Moderno too, as it looks fun and a bit more casual/likely to have a bit more ambient noise.

Sounds like we will for sure wait on Le Bistro until she's old enough for the kids clubs and we can do a proper date night:)

On our first cruise, we went to the Bistro to celebrate my mum's 70th birthday - with 4 kids in tow, including our youngest, who was just 13 months old at the time. He had a ball - he was surrounded by the waitresses all evening in his highchair (I still have the photos somewhere), and we had a lovely dinner! On some of the other nights, we went to eat eg in Cagney's late, and took him along sleeping in his stroller - no problem. NCL really is family-friendly. Have a nice trip! Yours, Tanja

Archived