Day in Key West?

milanojosh

We will be in Key West from 8-5 on a Wednesday in late November. Anything we absolutely must do or see? It's our first time there, and we have opted not to do an excursion, as we are under the impression that there is plenty to do (museums, sightseeing, a massage, or an afternoon at a spa or Island House?) At 32 and 28, we are open to being active and/or low-key. Easy-going folks here. :)

Any and all thoughts appreciated!

I'd get a map, rent two bicycles and explore the town by bike. Key West is an interesting place to cycle around (with a lot of nice places to stop).

IMHO, the only true "must sees" are the "southern-most point" marker and the Hemingway house, both heavily touristed. You can tour the town quite thoroughly in a single morning. I think you can still cycle to the end of the White St pier. There are some charming streets with a tropical ambiance.There is an old fort at Fort Zachary park (but it's nothing much).

There are no nude areas or gay beaches per se (as far as I know). The Atlantic Shores closed 5 years ago. The pool there would have been an obvious place to head.

Then go to a waterfront restaurant for lunch. It's hard to know which one to recommend. Many of them are too touristy, but there are a few nice ones.

In the afternoon, you could drop by Island House to see what's happening, but it would probably be dead. If there's no one interesting, you could just relax around the pool. I don't think I would do this personally though during a visit for a single day.

We really enjoyed some of the shops on Duval St, eg Peter Lik Gallery, Mel Fisher's Treasures and so on. I'd also be sure to stop by La Ti Da, but I have fond memories of that place. If you do go, bring a towel and bathing suit and take a dip (if they'll let you).

I'd get a map, rent two bicycles and explore the town by bike. Key West is an interesting place to cycle around (with a lot of nice places to stop).

IMHO, the only true "must sees" are the "southern-most point" marker and the Hemingway house, both heavily touristed. You can tour the town quite thoroughly in a single morning. I think you can still cycle to the end of the White St pier. There are some charming streets with a tropical ambiance.There is an old fort at Fort Zachary park (but it's nothing much).

There are no nude areas or gay beaches per se (as far as I know). The Atlantic Shores closed 5 years ago. The pool there would have been an obvious place to head.

Then go to a waterfront restaurant for lunch. It's hard to know which one to recommend. Many of them are too touristy, but there are a few nice ones.

In the afternoon, you could drop by Island House to see what's happening, but it would probably be dead. If there's no one interesting, you could just relax around the pool. I don't think I would do this personally though during a visit for a single day.

We really enjoyed some of the shops on Duval St, eg Peter Lik Gallery, Mel Fisher's Treasures and so on. I'd also be sure to stop by La Ti Da, but I have fond memories of that place. If you do go, bring a towel and bathing suit and take a dip (if they'll let you).

That is a fantastic starting point! Thank you so much!

It's been a loooong time since I did the Conch Tour Train and touristy as it was, it was a lot of fun! It gives you a nice overview of the island and you can decide where you would want to go back to.

Aquatic excursions are always good in Key West, it that's your thing.

We will be in Key West from 8-5 on a Wednesday in late November. Anything we absolutely must do or see? It's our first time there, and we have opted not to do an excursion, as we are under the impression that there is plenty to do (museums, sightseeing, a massage, or an afternoon at a spa or Island House?) At 32 and 28, we are open to being active and/or low-key. Easy-going folks here. :)

Any and all thoughts appreciated!

Just walk around Duval street & take in all the sites(oh,yeah, there's chickens everywhere!)There plenty of great food & drink to be had. Sorry to hear about Atlantic Shores. We stayed there about 10 years ago. So trashy & lowbrow! But what a blast!

• 2 weeks later...

Was just there a couple weeks ago. We stayed at Island House and it was a blast. We were there midweek. They said they were sold out thru the holidays so there will be guys there.

We went out on the 'Fury' catamaran. It was a lot of fun. 10:30-4 and we got to jet ski, snorkel, parasail, and have fun in the water. It was $119/pp and well, well, worth it. Also got to swim with dolphins that happened to be out where we stopped to snorkel.

Hi, living here in Key West, my recommendation would be to rent either bicyces or scooters and spend the day exploring.

If you really want to get a feel for the unique charm of Key West, get off touristy Duval Street and enjoy discovering the little side streets with typical conch homes and gardens.

A few unique and interesting sights I would recommend are - the cemetery (honestly), East Martello Fort Museum, the Key West lighthouse. The Museum of Art and History is actually also worth checking out and it's right near Mallory Square. Here is a link that you can find out more about these sights.

http://www.kwahs.com/

If you want to just hang out at the Island House and use the facilities, you can buy a day pass for $25.00. However, if you want to stop in for a drink or lunch at the poolside bar/cafe, you don't need to buy a pass. If you want to sample local specialties, they serve great conch chowder, conch fritters, black bean soup, and their Cuban mix sandwich is one of the best around.

Feel free to contact me if you want any further info or have any questions.

I hope you guys enjoy your time here.

I grew up in Key West and still have our house there. Rent bicycles, NOT scooters. Too many folks get hurt on the scooters. Take the bike and GET OFF DUVAL STREET! While the Island House has good food, if you want to do it like a local, go to Five Brothers Grocery and get a Cuban Mix "all the way". Or, a roast pork or steak sandwich. And, get a half dozen "bollos", pronounced "boy-ohs". They are kind of like hush puppies except much better. The bike ride to Five Brothers will take you into the Old Town neighborhoods and you'll get a great feel for the real Key West. Island House is only a few blocks from there so you can go there and have cocktails and lay by the pool... nekkid if you so desire.

If any of you are into history, checkout the Little White House... great guides and history.

Have fun...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived