No wonder there are problems on cruises.

catmommy

When I was growing up nobody would think of wearing a baseball cap indoors, much less in a restaurant. My son who is in his 40's would not wear one inside and my son-in-law wore one in my house ONCE! Never a second time. What is happening? Where are the parental guidelines as to what is appropriate and what is not? There is a definite lack of respect, and I personally don't like it. People (and not everyone, thank God) have a thumb-your-nose attitude. Sure, this is a more casual era than when I grew up, but there is no excuse for sloppiness, and to me, baseball caps inside ANYWHERE are sloppy and not acceptable. So, you can see where my thinking lies as far as the restaurant/cruise dressing posts. And no matter what you may think, you are definitely judged by your appearance--not $$$$$. You are what you wear, in my humble opinion.

Esther

I'm sorry to see that dressing up for anything seems to be going out of fashion, at least in my part of the country. I went to the ballet recently, an evening performance, not matinee, and felt glaringly out of place in black cocktail dress and heels. It made me angry at everyone else, since I was the one dressed appropriately. I'm afraid that is the trend everywhere. I love to dress up, and there seem to be fewer and fewer occasions for it. :(

I'm sorry to see that dressing up for anything seems to be going out of fashion, at least in my part of the country. I went to the ballet recently, an evening performance, not matinee, and felt glaringly out of place in black cocktail dress and heels. It made me angry at everyone else, since I was the one dressed appropriately. I'm afraid that is the trend everywhere. I love to dress up, and there seem to be fewer and fewer occasions for it. :(

Interesting observation Suzanne,

I live in NYC and if you go to the Broadway shows, you often see tourists attending performances wearing warm up suits, sneakers and all kinds of clothing that's better suited for a backyard BBQ. We're regulars (12X a year) at the ballet where it's mostly locals and foreign toursts and most people are dressed nicely.....not black tie...but women in dressy pant outfits and men, often in jackets, many in suits. I'm sure there are some tourists from other parts of the US, but they don't stick out like sore thumbs due to sloppy attire the way they do at a Broadway show.

Jane

I live in NYC and if you go to the Broadway shows, you often see tourists attending performances wearing warm up suits, sneakers and all kinds of clothing that's better suited for a backyard BBQ. We're regulars (12X a year) at the ballet where it's mostly locals and foreign toursts and most people are dressed nicely.....not black tie...but women in dressy pant outfits and men, often in jackets, many in suits. I'm sure there are some tourists from other parts of the US, but they don't stick out like sore thumbs due to sloppy attire the way they do at a Broadway show.

Jane

I grew up 10 minutes outside of NYC and perhaps this is why I continue to dress up when I dine out or go out in general, despite living in FL. I, too, can spot the tourists at Broadway shows and I think they look ridiculous. For me, spending 100 bucks on a theater ticket makes it a special evening out and I dress accordingly.

Jane

I'm sadden to hear about attire at Broadway shows

I'm attending my first Broadway show next month, and was looking forward to dressing up with the whole experience. (Jane, btw, thanks for help on dress suggestion, I'm going with the black one.) I told DH that he has to wear his suit; luckily he likes to dress up.

Of course a nice dinner will precede the show, again, thanks Jane for zagat suggestion; I now have a current copy. The hardest part is choosing which restaurant, you gave some excellent suggestions.

Oh well, this is one tourist couple who will be dressed appropriately and not stick out like sore thumbs.

Your right caviargal, with the price of tix, it does make it a special evening, not something I could do often, but this will be fun and I'm looking forward to spending time in NYC.

I have been on 10 cruises going back to when men had to do ties and jackets for dinner EVERY nite and women nice dresses. I am very upset when people believe they can wear/do anything that suits them. If they want to wear jeans and shorts 24/7 they need to go to a dude ranch or all-inclusive resort where that is the norm or "dine" in an alternative (buffet) venue especially on formal nights. Lost luggage is a different/separate issue. However, if that happened to me I would try to borrow/purchase some appropriate clothing ASAP. A mid-calf black skirt and a couple blouses would not even cost $100.

I married off 1 DD in 2003 at a fancy Sunday brunch reception. All bridesmaids wore long dresses as did I. Almost all guests were properly dressed, men in shirts/ties and women in Sunday best. DD2 is getting married 9/4/05 having an expensive prime rib dinner at a really elegant local resturant. I am just enough of the"daughter of a female dog" to ask anyone not appropriatly dressed if their only suit/nice dress is at the dry clean.

I'm sadden to hear about attire at Broadway shows

I'm attending my first Broadway show next month, and was looking forward to dressing up with the whole experience. (Jane, btw, thanks for help on dress suggestion, I'm going with the black one.) I told DH that he has to wear his suit; luckily he likes to dress up.

Of course a nice dinner will precede the show, again, thanks Jane for zagat suggestion; I now have a current copy. The hardest part is choosing which restaurant, you gave some excellent suggestions.

Oh well, this is one tourist couple who will be dressed appropriately and not stick out like sore thumbs.

Your right caviargal, with the price of tix, it does make it a special evening, not something I could do often, but this will be fun and I'm looking forward to spending time in NYC.

SilverAnniv,

If you narrow down some restaurant choices and can't decide between a few of them, feel free to ask - either here or on the "pre-cruise" section. I'd be happy to give you some input if you'd like.

The weather is starting to *finally* get nice here - summer is on the way. I don't recall exactly when you'll be here, but if we get one of those sticky, hot humid nights, don't feel that DH will be underdressed without a tie. You're already going to look better than most theatre goers in your beautiful black dress even if DH just wears a sportscoat and nice shirt/pants.

We went to the ballet last night, which was a very special evening because one of the dancers, Peter Boal, was dancing his final performance after 25+ years w/ the NYC ballet before heading to another dance compnay in Seattle. (those of you there, look for him - he's wonderful!) The house was packed and tickets were hard to get and everyone looked elegant......with the exception of about 4 sneaker clad american tourists. They looked horrible and out of place. Ugh! But stll better than the B'way theatre.

I agree w/ caviargirl. At $100. a ticket + dinner, the evening warrants nicer clothes than when you're washing the car! :)

I know you'll have a great time here and on your cruise.

Enjoy!

Jane

Archived