Review of Nieuw Amsterdam, Mediterranean Glamor

We_like_to_cruise

Back in Las Ramblas we decide to have a late lunch/early dinner and stumble upon a 15 prix fixe that includes a primar, segund, dessert and a carafe of wine.

We catch the evening bus back to the hotel and pull out our luggage to play the 50 Pound Shuffle.

I pack my suitcase and hold it up to be weighed. DW packs her suitcase and holds it up to be weighed. We transfer items back and forth from suitcase to carry-on to meet the magic number.

Our wakeup call comes too early for a short bus ride to the airport.

Delta check-in is a breeze, although there is a bit of a line at security and then immigration. I am ashamed to admit that we went to McDonalds for coffee and a croissant – only because there were limited choices available.:(

After an uneventful flight home (more free wine and beer) we reflect on what an awesome vacation we had.

ShipoftheYear_zpsf7ddb1b7.jpg

Well, we hope you enjoyed reading about our adventure as much as we enjoyed experiencing it. :D

Thank you to EVERYONE for all of your kind comments!

We wish you calm seas and safe travels.

wake_zps2f950ac1.jpg

I thoroughly enjoyed your review - we embarked the Nieuw Amsterdam on Oct 5th in Venice and stayed on for 37 days - disembarked in FLL on Nov 12th - Dave Shea was the CD - and VIncent Smit the captain - Im still working on my photos but here is my shutterfly link - Im just starting on the 2nd 12 day http://2012nieuwamsterdam.shutterfly.com/

We also enjoyed every minute of our cruise

• 9 months later...
And, yes, we did have some problems. Nothing is perfect! But, we are a glass half-full kind of couple determined not to let minor things interfere with our vacation.

We will offer our thoughts on the food, service, shipboard life, itinerary, etc., as we go along, if that is ok with you.

One thing we learned from previous cruises – arrive at least the day before. So for this trip we would have one day pre and post cruise in Barcelona, a city we really enjoyed visiting.

We flew Delta and were impressed with the service and friendliness of all of the flight crew, although the plane was pretty beat up. (My brother who flies internationally for business says that Delta “is the domestic airline I hate the least” haha). As our “dinner” was being served there was an announcement that there would be no charge for beer or wine during the entire flight! We did not over-indulge, but appreciated the offer. Question – What wine goes with mystery meat covered with an unidentifiable sauce and a side of funky colored rice?

The plane was full, so not much room to stretch out. But, we managed to catch a few hours of shut-eye. We REALLY appreciated those HAL beds after 4 hours of “sleep” squished upright in an airplane seat. (No business class or first class seats for us – please see “children in college” note above).

Next thing we knew we were in Barcelona!!!

After immigration and claiming our bags we headed outside for a taxi.

Now, I read on CC that it is a good idea to have a piece of paper with your destination printed on it to hand to the cab driver, many of whom do not speak much English. Also, to keep the cab drivers honest it is a good idea to ask for a receipt. So we did both, and were off to our pre-cruise hotel, the Renaissance Barcelona which is right off the Paseo de Gracia in the Eixample district.

It was a good 30 minutes or more to the hotel. The driver did not speak much, but we did manage a little back-and-forth conversation. At one point he turned on the radio and … Jason Mraz singing his hit song “I’m Yours” in English. We looked at each other and laughed. So much for immersion into a new culture!

At the hotel, I noticed the meter reading and then the driver added the supplements for the airport pickup and the luggage. Our total was €34.00.

I handed him two 20 notes, and he said “Gracias, Senor,” and jumped into the cab.

Hold on buddy!

I asked for my change, and all of a sudden he didn’t understand any English.

I repeated my request.

“Ah” he said as if he understood my query and gave me a hand written receipt for 40.

“No, my change” I insisted.

“Ah,” he said again and gave me a new receipt for 34.

“I WANT MY CHANGE”

Then, he reached in his pocket and handed me 6.

(Now I am starting to think it is the cab drivers, not the pick-pockets I have to worry about in Barcelona.)

Again, from CC I learned that many Europeans, if they tip at all, will round up to the next Euro. And certainly, no more than 10% for good service. Sorry, buddy, but you tried to rip me off. I am usually a good tipper, but don’t try to take advantage of me. No tip for you.

We were able to check in to our hotel at 9:30 a.m. (!) and dropped our luggage off in the room. It was a beautiful large room with a huge marble bathroom with bathtub and bidet. Very nice accommodations and we would gladly recommend this hotel. Keep that in mind if you are want use Marriott points. :)

Enjoying your review, thanks for sharing. We are leaving on a TA on the N Amsterdam in April. We will get off in Barcelona. Have cruised in and out of Barcelona about 6 times and have spent as much as a week there on a land trip. One of my favorite sites. Scanning your review you have some amazing pictures.

I am surprised you felt the taxi driver was ripping you off keeping 6E, that basically a reasonable tip regardless of local customs. Tipping is a personal decision obviously - rounding the next euro seems appropriate for trips without luggage.