Yet another Canada / criminal record question

Hi... I've read through several threads here regarding entry to Canada with a criminal record but none of them exactly apply to my situation or I can't quite understand what I'm reading.

This past September, I enjoyed a wonderful Alaska cruise which departed from Seattle, with the stop in Victoria. I had no problems entering (and then leaving) Victoria.

Simple question is... Based on the above, is iit safe to say that I'd have no problems entering Vancouver via airline? Was my name checked then, or is it random, or??

The offense was 12 years ago, and minor. I am going to obtain a copy of my record just so I know exactly what's on it and will go from there.

Thanks.

In the case of Victoria it is quite likely that Canadian customs ever saw a passenger manifest as Canada does not have legislation requiring a ship to provide same. If it is done at all it is done on a voluntary basis and generally not on a timely basis.

That said any person having committed an offense more that 10 years ago is deemed to have been rehabilitated and admissible into Canada. However admission into Canada is at the discretion of the CBSA officer so there is always the risk of being turned away. You have represented that the offense was minor and accrued some 12 years ago and given that information I would be extremely surprised if you were not admitted. When passing thru customs there is no onus on you to provide information but having a copy of your record would be a good idea if the matter does come up.

With all due respect to Langley Cruisers it is highly unlikely that a California attorney is going to be much help with a Canadian immigration matter. If you want a 100% answer you need to contact the closest Canadian consulate office and start the process for "Deemed Rehabilitation" but the consulate is hard to reach by phone and the process can take many months.

If you want to contact me by email I can put you in touch with attorneys in Bellingham, WA who do deal with this kind of matter.

That said any person having committed an offense more that 10 years ago is deemed to have been rehabilitated and admissible into Canada...

I have recently been watching a new TV show on Canadian Border Services - very interesting. They deal with the passengers at both Vancouver and Victoria International Airports, and at the Douglas Border crossing. It looks like offenders from other countries, no matter how long ago the offense was committed, are not being admitted to Canada. I mean, no one here on these boards is an authority on this. I think OP needs to research this for him/herself, contacting the necessary people. The attorney suggeastion was just that - a suggested place to start; I really don't know what OP should do or if s/he will be admitted into Canada at YVR.

Karen, I have also watched some of those shows, but it is kind of reality TV. Here is a very current CBC report on the matter of inadmissibility which is an interesting read.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/10/12/f-entering-denied-entry-canada.html

As well here is a current CBSA document on admissablity, inadmissability and deemed rehabilitation. There was a change to the regualtions concerning this in March of this year making it easier for people with minor convictions to enter Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/inadmissibility/index.asp

• 3 weeks later...

This is definitely the wrong place to post this question as some of the information offered is frankly...wrong.

Your criminal record stays with you forever and don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise. There are ways to travel with this factor and from what you say in your post, you should not have any problems. The key to travelling is to be HONEST. Have a copy of your record so if you are asked you can show them. Border guards have an interesting way of vetting information from you such as:

Have you ever been fingerprinted?

Have you ever been in a courtroom?

Have you ever testified in a criminal proceeding?

Have you ever been charged with a crime?

It's not for you to offer information but if asked be honest and have your record. It's then discretionary whether you get through.

Go see a lawyer who deals with "Pardons" and do your due diligence and check them out on line first to make sure they are legit. That's the piece of paper that you need.

good luck.

This is definitely the wrong place to post this question as some of the information offered is frankly...wrong.

Your criminal record stays with you forever and don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise. There are ways to travel with this factor and from what you say in your post, you should not have any problems. The key to travelling is to be HONEST. Have a copy of your record so if you are asked you can show them. Border guards have an interesting way of vetting information from you such as:

Have you ever been fingerprinted?

Have you ever been in a courtroom?

Have you ever testified in a criminal proceeding?

Have you ever been charged with a crime?

It's not for you to offer information but if asked be honest and have your record. It's then discretionary whether you get through.

Go see a lawyer who deals with "Pardons" and do your due diligence and check them out on line first to make sure they are legit. That's the piece of paper that you need.

good luck.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I appreciate your time.

I moved the cruise to Seattle. I cannot afford to essentially gamble the cruise based on the mood and discretion of a border agent.

Seattle/Alaska 9/2013 - here we come...

While I am certain that many of us Vancouverites are sorry to learn of your decision we also understand your concern. It may be of interest to you that the matter of inadmissibility is reciprocal for Canadians attempting to enter the US under similar circumstances. While quite unlikely, you do have the same risk on a ship leaving from Seattle and not being able to leave the ship in Victoria, however that would only be the case in Victoria.

While I am certain that many of us Vancouverites are sorry to learn of your decision we also understand your concern. It may be of interest to you that the matter of inadmissibility is reciprocal for Canadians attempting to enter the US under similar circumstances. While quite unlikely, you do have the same risk on a ship leaving from Seattle and not being able to leave the ship in Victoria, however that would only be the case in Victoria.

I couldn't agree more. I'm disappointed that I won't be visiting Vancouver this time. Your countrymen in Victoria, though, are worth a return. Beautiful city that I'm sure speaks of the best Canada has to offer its visitors. There is something intriguing about retracing one's steps, and I look forward to visiting Victoria again, and perhaps Vancouver one day... when $4k isn't on the line! Thanks... and cheers!

Edit to add: During my research on the matter, I absolutely did learn of the imbalance present regarding Canadian citizens visiting the US. It's more than reciprocal. The US is far worse...nearly to the point of hypocrisy. :)

Archived