Best time of year to see whales?

lesharona

I think late January and February, don't know about March. We have gone in December and didn't see much, also no whale watching tours were offered then. This year we went in late January and saw many whales, and did a great whale watching tour in Cabo on the Zodiac.

The whales summer in Alaska and winter in Mexico. You might think of them as the world's biggest snowbirds. They feed in Alaskan waters all summer then migrate to calving grounds for winter. We here in southern California see them going southpast us starting in October normally and going north in March or so.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about the Zodiac. I kind of wanted to do this

but am prone to sea sickness. What was your experience? How long

was the tour and how large was the boat? Was it really wavy?

Thanks

It was pretty calm last March when we went whale watching in Cabo. We took the bigger boat with open bar, snacks and a restroom. We saw several whales and learned some things by the ships narrator. You also get to cruise by the Arches and see some sea lions up close. It was a nice excursion. One thing that was neat was we saw schools of Manta Rays. They would jump out of the water and flap their "wings" like a bird. I had never seen this before and it was funny. Too bad I couldn't get a good picture of it happening.

The Zodiac boats were much faster and smaller but the water was nice and they didn't seem to have a problem. Either one you choose should be fun.

Rick

In P. Vallarta we had a great Zodiac Tour with "Open air expeditions."

The tour lasted abt. 4 hrs I think. No bathroom on board, so take precautions like going to them in the harbour, donot drink too much at breakfast or lunch.

We really loved it. It can only have 12 persons in the Zodiac, can sail real fast and often is the 1st near the whales.

Check them on: http://www.vallartawhales.com

In winter in P. Vallarta it is the real big Humpbackwhales.

They seem to be even bigger if you are in the Zodiac.

Of course you will also see dolphins, turtles etc.

I really donot remember, I just booked on-line and joined other people at the harbor.. I am sure their website will give more deatils about it.

www.vallartawhales.com or you can send them an e-mail.

They are very nice people.

Archived