Skype Calls on Regatta

SpiritRiver

Has anyone made Skype calls - either on iPad or laptop - on Regatta? I found a thread from 2009 from a very disappointed cruiser, but maybe the situation has changed. We'll be cruising over the holidays and would like to call the kids on Christmas Day and visual contact would be nice. Thanks!

Has anyone made Skype calls - either on iPad or laptop - on Regatta? I found a thread from 2009 from a very disappointed cruiser, but maybe the situation has changed. We'll be cruising over the holidays and would like to call the kids on Christmas Day and visual contact would be nice. Thanks!

Skype doesn't seem to work on most cruise lines . Skype is bandwidth hog (especially with a video usage) . Most cruise lines block access to Skype on their ships.

Skype doesn't seem to work on most cruise lines . Skype is bandwidth hog (especially with a video usage) . Most cruise lines block access to Skype on their ships.

I can't speak for most cruise lines (or for Oceania), but

last year, on Regent, I used Skype (audio only) every day for 50 days

from Dubai to New Zealand. I think there were two

occasions in which internet connections were temporarily

interrupted.

Les

FaceTime on an iPad uses much less bandwidth. DD bought two iPads for us to use when she was home this summer from DRC. Her Internet there is not reliable and things such as FB and Skype won't load, never mind function.

We've been using the FaceTime regularly and it has only dropped once. Sometimes her picture is static or jerky, but it is so nice to actually see her. And, we face timed her into her sister's wedding which was really cool. She will be here in person next year for the big one.

Mo

Archived