booked a jr suite - what do I get?

5012nk

If you can tell me one single instance of a JS passenger who requested admittance to the CL and were permitted in, I will eat my words (assuming, of course, they were not D+ or above). How can it hurt? It would really embarrass the poor person following your advice and asking. I know I would be humiliated.

Wow...humiliated...you must humiliate easily.

Some perspective on my next sailing:

E1 balcony cabin is $815 pp = $1630 for a couple.

JS on the same sailing = $1399 pp = $2798 for a couple.

Assuming cost is a factor (it is for me :D), 3 cruises in an E1 is less expensive than 2 cruises in a JS.

Meaning, I can cruise more often by sticking with a D or E Cat balcony. And with just 2 of us in a cabin, I find it has plenty of room.

I just can't wrap my head around the double points thing. It gets you to D or D+ faster, but if it costs $1200 more per couple per sailing, I'm not sure it's worth it.

On paper, the suites just don't make sense to me :) but, I'm kind of a numbers guy, and I know opinions are subjective. Some people sail in inside cabins, and will cruise more often than I do with their savings, but I just love balconies, and would have a hard time cruising without one. I suppose there are some who feel the same way about suites vs normal balcony cabins.

We generally book either an E-1 or D-1, depending on the cruise, cost etc. We really don't concern ourselves with all the extras, because our enjoyment comes from the people we meet and places we are seeing. Our Australia cruise worked out better for us bringing our daughter, to book in a JS. By having our daughter with us in a JS as a 3rd passenger was a $4,000 savings over booking her in her own room adjoining ours. Granted when booking, I could have placed her in an ocean view, but preferred to have her close to us. This will be her first cruise.

Another reason we like the JS is that DH is extremely claustrophobic and just can't stand the showers. Of course, the clinging shower curtain is another story(I brought plastic clips to help weigh it down). :) Ten days in a D1 on Explorer is going to be pretty interesting.

We were on a consecutive cruise when we went from gold to platinum. I had contacted the C&A office before the cruise because I at least wanted the platinum coupon book. We got the new books in our cabin and an envelope with "platinum member" stickers to put on our new seapass cards.

And because there weren't many D and D+ members on our Oasis sailings, we were invited to the champagne sailaways on the helipad from Labadee and Nassau. Now that was a good reason to get those points up there!

Assuming cost is a factor (it is for me :D), 3 cruises in an E1 is less expensive than 2 cruises in a JS.

Meaning, I can cruise more often by sticking with a D or E Cat balcony. And with just 2 of us in a cabin, I find it has plenty of room.

I just can't wrap my head around the double points thing. It gets you to D or D+ faster, but if it costs $1200 more per couple per sailing, I'm not sure it's worth it.

On paper, the suites just don't make sense to me :) but, I'm kind of a numbers guy, and I know opinions are subjective. Some people sail in inside cabins, and will cruise more often than I do with their savings, but I just love balconies, and would have a hard time cruising without one. I suppose there are some who feel the same way about suites vs normal balcony cabins.

But if you include flights, hotels and other expenses with getting to a cruise, it saves that money by going to a JS if getting to the next level in C&A is important to you. That is why we booked our B2B in a JS as it saved us for flights to Florida for 3 more cruises if we did them individually in a regular balcony. For our Indy B2B, a JS was only $200pp more than a balcony for this cruise, so it worked out cheaper to go this way to move up from platinum to Diamond after this B2B cruise.:D

Keith

I really wouldn't encourage anyone to ask for access to the CL when they aren't entitled to it. It just sets them up for a disappointment. JS is not considered "suite" enough to get into the CL, and I don't know of any Concierge that I've met that will let a JS passenger in the CL.

Really Pcur? I have see your posts where you say you ask the Concierge to allow you to bring your guests into the lounge:confused::confused::confused: You have said it is never a problem. Wow! Why now the change??? I guess what is good for the Goose is not really good for the Gander huh?

on my Memorial Day cruise on EN we did a slight cabin crawl.

I must say the aft JS balcony was droooooool worthy and my husband spent a fair few minutes out there(probably reminiscing about his sea duty days)

We did a B2B in Sept/October on the Explorer & had cabin 1394 - it came in handy as dad was along for the 1st portion to Bermuda (he said it was actually the 1st time out on the ocean) and the balcony was a nice place to plop dad if me & my sister wanted to do something. We just said once you leave you can't get in w/o a key card. His inside cabin was just around the corner.

The only thing is that we didn't have the true walk-in closet - it seemed liked a duck-in closet to get to the back shelves:)

Pat

My numbers change but these days I feel that having a balcony is worth about $40/day. With the diamond discount we usually come in under that and get the balcony, though on Alaska cruises balcony prices go through the roof. I would value a JS at another $50/day. That doesn't usually happen. I guess that means that for me JSs are usually overpriced.

Archived