Stingray Sandbar on jestski

lemstar

How far is Stingray sandbar via jetski? Is it a long way? If we arrive at 10am, depart at 6pm, and want to do a 1pm stingray-jetski tour, what might be a good way to start out our day on GC?

Thanks a million!

We did an excursion (non-ship excursion) last year which offered jet skis to Stingray City and then some time at Rum Point. From where we started, which was a hotel, it was 4 miles out to the sandbar with the stingrays. We did our excursion kind of late in the day and we were all pretty nervous about getting back on time, but the excursion people knew where we needed to be and when and we made it, though I don't think we spent nearly as much time at Rum Point as we thought we would.

Two weeks ago we did this excursion when CCL Magic was in the Cayman Islands. It was fantastic and they were completely aware of our schedule that allowed us to depart and return to the ship with no issues.

We used http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/StingrayCityWaveRunner.htm they were fantastic. The entire group loved this excursion.

Have a great time!

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I did the excursion back in March. It was really fun but the waves were pretty heavy that day and it was a beating getting out to the sandbar. I workout a few times a week, am in decent shape, and have tons of experience on a waverunner and it really wore me out. We only got to spend enough time at Rum Point for a quick drink because it took a good while to get to the sandbar due to the rough waters. We spent a good amount of time at the sandbar and had a great time with the rays.

It was a very fun excursion though, just be aware that if the seas are a little rough, you will get a workout!

We took the Fat Fish Adventure Tour (check tripadvisor reviews), one of our best days ever. Mangroves, reef, Sandbar, Rum Point, Kaibo, Starfish Point, and lots of fun in between. The last tour is 4 hrs long and covers all of these, you'd need to take the 2 hr tour earlier which covers all of the ocean stops (reef, sandbar, and another spot).

someone said its about 4 miles out to the sandbar (!!). how long does it take to get out there? also, someone said it was a rough ride on rough seas...anyone else? i dont like the kaboom-kaboom-kaboom of going on a jetski with big waves, but my 18 yr old son loves it. i would love to hear more from people who have done it....

Where are you starting from?

Yes it's a rough ride in rough seas, that makes sense. On a great day the waves are 1 ft, we were out on a great day but we still hit rougher spots. We were out for 4.5 hrs and covered alot of area and it was a very enjoyable day.

On a typical day you'll see 2 - 4 ft waves and it's a bit rougher, but staying in another jet ski's wake helps smooth it out.

Archived