What to expect on Christmas day in St Kitts

dln929

We're sailing on Celebrity Equinox, docking in Basseterre, St. Kitts on Christmas Day. Neither my husband nor I have ever been before. Will anything be open or should we plan for a beach day? We were thinking, too, that it might be nice to go to Christmas Mass (we get in at 7 am). Any recommendations? Thanks everyone.

My guess is that most things will be closed on Christmas Day and you might find a beach day will work best. I imagine there will be taxis that could take you to a church for Mass if you would like and then on to the beach. We have been to Friars Beach and enjoyed it. You should also ask your driver to take you to the mountain top where you have sweeping views of both the Caribbean Sea and Atlantic Ocean! The city of Basseterre is right outside the cruiseship terminal so you would not have a long distance to travel for Mass. I would definitely take a taxi....While I did not feel unsafe in Basseterre, I was not exactly comfortable either.

I hope this helps and enjoy!

Soleil

We were on St Kitts for Xmas day a few years ago. We ended up doing a ship excursion to some of the plantation homes and to the small church on the other side of the island. It was a memorable day! As we drove through the island in open air safari type trucks, people would be lined the streets celebrating the holiday. Everyone would wave and yell Merry Christmas. It was nice to see people having a day off and waving to us as we toured the island.

Archived