Back from 5/11 Wind - any questions?

Marshmelo

Hello. I just returned from the 5/11 Wind to Hawaii/Fanning Island. I would be glad to answer any questions I can.

We were pretty disappointed in some aspects of the cruise. In our opinion, the food was poor. It was very bland most of the time. We did have maybe two meals that were satisfactory. The servers were not very nice either. Very few even introduced themselves. They would just come stand at your table and wait for you to place your order. They did not seem very happy at all to be there. Some even seemed downright rude. Not the quality we received from Royal Caribbean or Disney at all. We did find one server team in Four Seasons that we liked very well. Made and Donald were very nice. Made is the best server on that ship for sure. He was very courteous and friendly and always had a smile on his face. We started dining at one of his tables every dinner once we met him. The activities on the ship were okay. I did go to a few of the craft classes and enjoyed them. We also played Bingo a few times. My husband did the wine tasting and enjoyed it. I had a Facial at the Spa and he had a Massage. We both enjoyed those treatments. The only thing I didn't like was the tremendous pressure to purchase the products.

The shore excursions we did were:

Fanning: Napali Beach

Hilo: Nani Mau & Akaka Falls

Kona: Captain Zodiac Raft & Snorkel

Maui: Maui Tropical Plantation & Iao Valley

Hoku Nui Luau

Kauai: Waimea Canyon, Wailua River & Fern Grotto

We enjoyed all of the excursions very much. The only bummer was that the Luau had to be inside because it had rained earlier in the day.

If you have any questions about anything, bring them on!

I also meant to mention the stateroom. I was quite happy with it. It was pretty spacious. Plenty of room for clothes and a vanity area for getting ready while someone else is in the shower. There was also a love seat and a chair with a coffee table and a footstool. We had the ocean view room with the picture window. The only complaint I have about the room is the bed. It was very uncomfortable. Our stewards kept our room very clean. We did only get three towel animals which was kind of disappointing. Also, the restaurants had wonderful views of the ocean.

Sorry to hear about your diappointments. We leave in about 4 weeks.

What time did you get on the ship?

What Category was your stateroom?

How was the spa in comparison to Disney's--anything like a sauna or the rainforest room?

Did you try any of the specialty restaurants?

In order to get Made as a waiter, did you make a reservation, or just request him when you went in? How did you like freestyle cruising? Did you dress up for formal night? Did alot of others dress up? Was there only 1 formal night?

Did you notice if there was a picture package deal? Did it include the posed/formal pics, or just the candids?

Sorry for peppering you with questions, but I have these on my mind. Thanks for any help.

can you please describe the luau, trying to decide if it's worth it. what time did you return from the luau?

did you arrive and leave at the times that are posted on itinerary, and did you have to back an hour before that time?

what islands gave you a "wow" or were disappointing?

any other insight appreciated!

NCmom: We had a Category D Stateroom, Oceanview on the Promenade deck. Don't get me wrong, we did enjoy the trip and made the best of it but found out that NCL just is probably not for us. Hawaii is great, no matter what cruiseline you use. And there were good times on the ship as well. You will enjoy yourselves.

We got on the ship late, as our flight did not arrive until about 4:00. The drive from the airport is about 20 min. in the bus (if you use the ship transportation). The good thing about arriving late was that we didn't have to stand in a line to check in. But, they were out of flower leis and I only got a shell lei the same as my husband, but that's ok. We made beautiful orchid leis one afternoon at one of the craft activities, with real flowers which was nice.

The spa was not like Disney I don't think. If they have such a 'rainforest room' I'm not aware of it at all. You can access the list of services offered by the spa on ncl.com:

http://www.ncl.com/more/spa_intro.htm

The Wind only has one restaurant that you pay $10 cover charge for - LeBistro. We did go there. We got the Filet Mignon. We weren't very impressed. It was kind of tough, but alright. They also have an Italian restaurant - LaTrattoria which was ok. You don't have to pay extra for this one. The other restaurants are Four Seasons and Terraces which are the main dining rooms and have the same menu each night.

In order to get Made (pronounced 'Mah-day'), we went to Four Seasons and asked for a table for two in Made and Donald's section (there are two Made's there). We only had to wait once for about 10 min. We usually ate around 7:30 or 8:00 when it was a little less busy. Freestyle dining was nice. We liked getting a table for two so we could have our own time together at dinner. Also, we liked going when we wanted. Just be careful if you go at busy time (6:00 to 7:30) or you will wait probably.

There were three optional Formal nights. We dressed up for two of them. Not a lot of people got really formal. I only remember seeing one man in a tuxedo and only a few ladies in 'gowns'.

There was a picture package deal. They had a special that you could get 'all pictures' for $150 I think it was, but don't quote me on that. It was too expensive for us, at any rate. I think you have to sign up for it on the first day. They take pretty good pictures. Have some different pretty backgrounds. One is the backdrop of the Titanic staircase.

FLbeachbaby: The luau was nice, but my husband complained that 'it wasn't a real luau'. I guess because it's staged and 'touristy', but what can you expect. Other than having it indoors, I enjoyed it a lot. We had ours indoors and sat at a table of 12 and they had a stage set up where the hula dancers performed. They dismissed us for the buffet by tables and had fresh pig, teriyaki steaks, mahi mahi I believe it was (some sort of fish), poi, rice, garlic mashed potatoes, salad, fruit, rolls, macaroni potato salad, pasta salad, and I'm sure more, but that's what I remember. The pork was very good, the steak a little tough and pink for my taste. The potatoes were excellent. For dessert, they had coconut cake (only shredded on the outside, which I ate around) which was really good, and a chocolate cake I believe. I think they had jello too. The alcohol was not very good. Very weak and had a bitter taste. They did offer beer, which my husband drank. I stuck with the fruit punch myself. They also had iced tea and coffee. they take your picture when you walk in with a man and woman hula dancer and give you a shell lei. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful. I enjoyed it, not something you get to experience everyday. The tour is offered through ncl, so they get you back in time (8 pm I believe it is).

We did leave and arrive at the times posted for the most part. We did have a delay getting to Fanning because about two hours into the trip we had to turn around for a medical emergency. We still went though, just a little delay. I don't know that I would do the Napali beach excursion again. The water was only thigh-deep even far out. We just lounged on some floating mats for awhile. I would have rather toured the island, it's very interesting seeing the people there and how they live.

All the islands were a 'Wow'. They are just beautiful. Maui was probably our favorite. It is a nice little town you stop in - Nawilliwilli. We walked around and shopped. There is a nice restaurant called 'Kimo's' where we had lunch. Very good food and a wonderful view on the water. It is all open air and right on the ocean.

Honolulu was not as pretty. It is a very big city with a lot of high rise buildings. We didn't tour there, but just from riding the bus to and from the ship it doesn't look like we missed much, except for Pearl Harbor.

When you go to Kona, there is a hole in the wall restaurant called Quinn's near the pier. It is to the left and forward from the ship. VERY good food! A lot of locals were eating there as well, so you know it's good. I had the best Monte Cristo sandwich!

I hope this answers your questions. Let me know if you have more. Have fun!

Becky - The Captain Zodiac tour was very good! Probably my favorite excursion we did and the best snorkeling I've ever done. Someone who saw the pictures we took said they looked like her pictures of the Great Barrier Reef. As for the price, I'm not sure. We had originally reserved the Kona Historical tour and Snorkel, but there was a problem and they had to cancel it, so we did the Captain Zodiac instead and they gave it to us for the price of the other ($75 I think), so I'm not sure how much the Zodiac is. Whatever it is though, I'm sure it's worth it. However, it is a rough ride. It is a speed boat/raft. You have to sit on the 'air pontoon' and hang on to a rope that lines it. It was a lot of fun though, something I probably would have never booked because of that, but once I did it I enjoyed it. We also were able to see some Spinner Dolphins on the ride out to the reef. The tour guide stopped for quite awhile and let us watch them and take pictures.

Another thing I meant to say about the ship that was good was that they are

very careful about germs. There are Antibacterial dispensers at the entrance to every restaurant, and they make sure you use it. Also, they spray it on you from a spray bottle every time you get back on the ship from a port.

Sorry to hear that the food was the pits, but really enjoyed your detail on the excursions.

I have just booked our 14 day Honeymoon to Hawaii, including the 10 days on the NCL Wind. Wondering if you could answer a few questions?

1. What is the mix of people on the cruise? Young couples to Middle age with kids to retiries? My future wife and I get along with almost everyone, but are concerned that their may be too many kids and retired couples...

2. Was it difficult getting a chair around the pool on the days at sea?

3. I hear of many medical emergencies on the boat. What is happening to make the ship constantly turn around?

4. I want to see an active volcano and hear that Kona is the perfect opportunity to walk to one. I know that you did not go on that excursion, but did you hear of anyone taking that adventure...

5. You indicated that you would have rather toured the Fanning Island. Is that something that needed to be booked or can you tour it yourself?

6. You stated that the drinks seemed watered down. Did they have a good mix of rye, vodka and gin or was it all generic brands. Also, what were the costs? & very important....What kind of beer did they serve??? I am Canadian and work in the Beer Industry and definately like a good beer...

Thanks for your help with the above inquiries. I may have more questions as time gets closer.

Beercap:) :D ;)

Thanks for the good info. We'll going on Wind in Aug. for our first cruise, 10-days.

We are concerned about the schedule time at port vs the actual time you set foot on the pier, because we plan to book excursions on our own. Do you remember what times you actually set food on pier?

In particularly, in Hilo and Kauai we'd like to take the helicoptor tours first thing after arrival (then drive to volcanos, and Waimea Canyon respectively). In Kona I also like to go to a certified scuba diving trip using nitrox and a scooter. NCL's helicopter trips are in the afternoon, or the dive shop doesn't offer scooter, so they are not ideal. The problem is if there is a long delay getting down on port, it will put the self-booked excursions in jeopardy.

Thanks.:cool:

Hi, Marshmelo, thanks so much for sharing your knowledge with us. I, too, have a few questions.

- Did you float past the volcano at night & could you see it? (Were you on the 10 night? I don't know if it's a different route for the 11 night, which we are on.)

- When was the muster drill?

- Did you join a cruise critic roll call & did you meet up with them? Where & when would you suggest for our roll call's meet & greet? (We were thinking about after the muster drill, in the card room [sounds like the "Clue" game - Col. Mustard in the library])

Thanks, Karen

BeerCap when we were on in March we found the best deal was to get the extra large cans of Fosters they were 4 dollars US I think the bottled was about 3.25 to 3.75 depending on the brand there was nothing nicer than drinking a cold Fosters at the swim-up bar on a nice hot day out to sea

BeerCap: To be honest, there really wasn't much of a mix of people on the cruise. The majority were much older, retired couples. We only saw a few kids (of course, they could have still been in school when we went). There were some middle age couples, but not a lot. It is sometimes more fun to talk to the older couples anyway because they have so many stories to share from their lives.

There seemed to be enough beach chairs on at sea days. We actually didn't use the pools. Even if you don't get one right in front of the pool, there are plenty on the deck right above that also goes around the pool, and they were all usually pretty empty.

As for the medical emergencies you always hear about, my guess is that it has something to do with the majority of passengers being older. The ship can get pretty rocky, so maybe falls occur. Also, statistically, older people have more medical problems.

I really am not sure about the Volcano tour on Kona. Did you check the ports of call message board? The only comment I heard was about the Helicopter tour. Apparently some people were disappointed because they didn't get to fly over the volcanoes.

There is a tour excursion of Fanning offered through the photo shop on the ship. Apparently they take you around the island and point out great photo ops. I think it was only around $20 also, not bad. You can also tour it yourself. You can walk around or rent bicycles.

The drinks that were watered down were the ones at the Luau. The drinks on the ship were good. They have one in an actual pineapple that is called 'Cool Runnings'. I'm not sure what all is in it, but it's good! As for the beer, I don't drink it. My husband drinks Coors Light and I asked him if they had it at the Luau and he said no. I'm sure they have different varieties on the ship though. At the Luau, the drinks were 'free'. But, on the ship, they ran around $5 - $6 for mixed drinks. However, they did have a Happy Hour every evening around 6:00 in the Observatory Lounge where drinks except for frozen ones were only $3.95.

Cavegirl: You should be very careful with booking your own excursions. I avoided that because I didn't want to have to stress about it. We did arrive a little late at a couple places (maybe 30 min.), but also a little early one. It depends on if there are any medical situations or if the wind is with you or against you. You do have to tender at all the ports except for Hilo. They let the people with tours booked through them get off first. Others have to get tender tickets, which they call by color and number, and that's the order you get to tender in. They usually had an early bird call where they would let those ready to get off go to the Shore Excursion Desk to get their tender tickets and get off first. So, you may want to appoint someone to go stand in line first thing when you arrive at an island, before they even make the announcement and it gets packed.

Karen: Yes, we did float past the flowing volcano at night. We were able to run out to the deck and see it right in front of us. You could see the glowing lava and smoke. Pictures won't come out though, but if you do attempt, use a tripod or steady the camera somehow, don't use a flash and use high speed film. They will put it in the Freestyle Daily the day you will go past it and will give an approximate time. Yes, we were on the 10 day, but I'm sure you will still pass it. The Muster Drill was early. It was over by the time we got on (around 5:00). So, we had to do the make-up one the next late morning. I did join the roll call, but there were only about three of us who ever posted, so a meet was never arranged. As for a good place to meet, it depends on when you plan to do it. You may want to just do it at the Sailaway party. Just designate a deck (I thing right above, overlooking the action is good which would be deck 12 I believe) and side of the ship. Maybe someone could hold a florescent sign up to make it easier to find. I don't know that there is a specific 'card room' on the ship. When my husband played poker, they just met in the LaTrattoria Restaurant to play.

Just another thought which reminded me if you are a latitudes member the drinks in the observatory lounge were 20% off but you had to remind them everytime you ordered one but not at happy hour and only in this lounge which in any case was our favourite the duo was really good. One night they had the Shipendales which was a laugh especially when the waiter served dinner the next night in the dining room!

We were on this cruise too and we found the food to be OK but not great. The waitpersonell in the diningrooms were friendly in the beginning but toward the end of the cruise they acted like they were just doing their jobs. I think that the automatic tipping policy has something to do with that. I feel that they don't have to please the guests to get better tips so they don't bother.

Marshmello was right about the beds they were hard. A thin mattress on the top of a hard plastic base. Actually hurt my bum one time when I fell back onto the bed when the ship bumped on a big wave.

We had a cabin on the Prom. Deck too, catagory E which was pretty far forward. It seemed pretty small in comparison to others that we have had in our 28 other cruises. The closets were fairly good sized with shelves inside but there were hardly any drawers so be prepared to put your folded clothing in the shelves in the closet. Our cabin steward was slow, sometimes we didn't get our cabins made up until afternoon. I don't know what the problem was there but they seemed to only be on duty between 8am and 11am and 1pm to 3pm and then 7pm till 9. When we first started cruising in the 1980's the cabin strewards were on dury from 6am till 10pm or they were finished with the work.

The activities on the ship were OK but we mostly attended the lectures and the craft classes. We arent much for country dancing or music and there seemed to be a lot of that.

The islands were great but then I always enjoy Hawaii. We didn't do any shore excursions because we had been there several times before on fly drives and cruises. You know, the been there done that situation.

I hope that you have a great Hawaiian experience. ;)

Do you have any info sheets or price lists for the excursions?? we, my hubby and I are booked for 10nt Hawaiian on 11/16/05. I donwloaded a list of excursions offered through NCL, but no price list.....

thanks

There is a tour excursion of Fanning offered through the photo shop on the ship. Apparently they take you around the island and point out great photo ops. I think it was only around $20.

I visited Fanning Island a few years ago on the Star, which had no such 'tour excursion' of the island, so this must be a recent addition -- or available only on the Wind. If this Fanning Island tour is offered through the ship's photo shop, I assume it is separate from anything sold at the Shore Excursion Desk and not part of NCL's Shore Excursion program. (?)

betslil: Unfortunately, I threw away the price sheet. I wish I still had it because I was wanting to find out the cost of the Captain Zodiac so that we could find out how much we saved by them giving it to us for the price of the one we had originally booked. But, they will send you the price list with your documents. If you want to know the prices of any of the ones I took, I could give you those. Maybe someone else out there still has the price list?

Professor: If the Fanning tour is part of the regular shore excursions, I don't remember it in the list. I first heard about it when I attended the photography seminar on the first at sea day. It is still a program offered by the ship, so you may still be able to book it at the excursions desk. I'm not sure though.

Do you have any info sheets or price lists for the excursions?? we, my hubby and I are booked for 10nt Hawaiian on 11/16/05. I donwloaded a list of excursions offered through NCL, but no price list.....

thanks

Click on the date of your cruise - that is the price list

betslil: Unfortunately, I threw away the price sheet. I wish I still had it because I was wanting to find out the cost of the Captain Zodiac so that we could find out how much we saved by them giving it to us for the price of the one we had originally booked.

The price for Captain Zodiac was $85, easily the best money we spent on the trip. :) Our guide did not have any other trips booked for the day, so let us spend as much time snorkelling as we wanted. Got see the Spinner Dolphins, but no Green Turtles. The water was fairly calm the day we went out.

We were on the 11 day cruise just before you (April 30). Never saw a drop of rain the whole trip. While the food was OK, I found all the NCL staff to be very friendly and we met lots of wonderful people aboard ship. We had the time of our lives & we are going again next year - at the same time. :)

One very happy Canadian couple!

Aloha

gamblor33: The shows were at 7:15 and 9:15, except one night they were 7:45 and 9:45. We only went to one of the shows and went to the 9:15 and it was completely filled. I would think that the earlier show would be more crowded because the cruisers on this ship seemed to eat early. Here are the shows that were on our cruise:

Thursday: Welcome Aboard Showtime - starring the Matagi Polynesian Cast in "Drums of the Islands"

Friday: Jump, Jive & Wail - The Jean Ann Ryan Company in a production show featuring song, dance and acrobatics.

Saturday: Comedy Showtime - Comedy of Joe Yannetty

Sunday: Spotlight Showtime - Comedy and Juggling of Alfred and Seymour

Monday: Cabaret Showtime - Hawaiian Cowboy Wes Epae

Tuesday: Country Gold - The Jean Ann Ryan Company in their high-energy production show Country Gold

Wednesday - Beat of Polynesia - The Matagi Polynesian Cast returns to the stage in their second spectacular show.

Thursday - Sea Legs Circus At Sea - The Jean Ann Ryan Company in another spectacular4 production show.

Friday - 7:15 - Star Seeker Showcase - Cheer for your fellow guests as they showcase their talents in their quest to be NCL's newest Star.

- 9:15 - Farewell Variety Showtime - Comedy of Alfred & Seymour and the Vocal Impressions of Wes Epae

The only show we went to was the Beat of Polynesia. I would have gone to the "Drums of the Islands" show, but we were busy doing something else. I thought the show was just okay. None of the other shows really interested us.

Another question for recent cruisers: in the ports where you docked, what time did you have to be back on board? For example, in Hilo departure time is listed as 5pm. Was that the time you had to be back by or how much earlier? Thanks! Karen

Pengu1n: At Hilo, we had to be back no later than 4:30; Fanning Island, last tender returned at 3:30; Kauai, by 6:00; Maui, last tender returned at 8:30; Kona, last tender returned at 4:30.

Archived