Zuiderdam in general

We just got back from the Zuiderdam May21-28 cruise and can honestly tell you that I don't think I could have found as many things wrong with the ship as KK did even if I was looking for them. We had a great time. There's some wear on the ship but good grief, she has thousands of passengers on her every week!! There was not a moment of the day that I did not see a crew member polishing, waxing, or squeegying (sp?) something. Whenever you passed a crew member in the hallway you'd always get a cheerful "good morning, how are you?"

My favorite "secret" place on the ship was the outside starboard promenade deck. Loved to sit there in the warm breeze and watch Cuba go by or listen to some CD's and try to read a book.. too easy to snooze off.

I think if you want to have a good time you will. If you go in looking for what's wrong that's all you'll see. I can't imagine paying good money to do that.

It reminds me of the woman in line behind me at the Lido. Hunky Dory said to her, "Have I met you yet? What is your name?" To which the woman replied in her nastiest tone, "its not important". Fortunately, Hunky Dory, being able to rise above her wonderful demeanor said, cheerfully I might add, "of course not, have a nice day". Why do these people bother going on vacation? You can be just as miserable at home?

..................Why do these people bother going on vacation? You can be just as miserable at home?

This is so wonderful and so true. You have put into just a few words what I've tried to say so many times in hundreds of posts. But you've said it so much better.

So many people should just stay home. When you pack your bags, you pack your "stuff" ... if we're miserable at home, we'll probably be miserable at sea.

That said, there is nothing wrong with constructive criticism and I welcome it.

will be on the Zuiderdam this Saturday, you people are depressing me.

I'm taking her THIS Saturday (6-4) for a quicky 7 day cruise. I'm not as concerned about those problems as I am about the weather. We've been having some weird weather here lately and I checked out Grand Cayman and it looks the same there. I'll have to make sure to take some extra Dramamine and a few good books and some good movies to watch. I've not been on the Zui before, but I just wanted to take a cruise to get away and the Zui was the only one going when and where I wanted to go.:eek:

We sail on June 4th and I am now getting a sick-to-my-stomach feeling. I hate we have spent all of that money on a crappy ship. I feel terrible :(

Don't worry, it will be fine. We're not going to inspect the ship, we're going on a cruise. So what if a door is broken or the smoking room smells like smoke?

You'll have a great time. If it's raining just find a nice cozy spot and relax and enjoy it. Don't pay any attention to the man behind the curtain.;)

• 3 months later...

Myself and my wife were on the Zuiderdam Eastern Caribbean cruise from 11/6 to 18/6 (British date format!). I could probably write several pages about the Zuiderdam's inperfections...slow service in the restaurant one night, not getting an invite to the Captain's reception even though we were in an 'S' stateroom, the engine vibration... but on the grand scale of things, none of these made a ha'pennies difference to the great time we had!

So when we got home, we talked about the time we'd spent on the Zuiderdam, and very quickly decided to go on a Western Caribbean cruise on the Zuiderdam as soon as we could.

Nothing is perfect... the Zuiderdam and her crew certainly aren't... but wouldn't perfection be boring? :D

James

(my username is due to owning a real Vampire Parrot... strong sunlight would kill her due to a medical condition, and she will draw blood from the fingers of strangers who tease her! :) )

I went on my second Zuiderdam cruise this past April, and the three of us had a wonderful time! In fact, right now I can't think of a single complaint. I'm sad to hear that the Windstar Cafe will now be a wine bar! We made it a point to stop there every day for our favorite latte', and this was one of the highlights of the end of each day. I don't have another Zuiderdam cruise booked now, but will be on the 10-7 Zaandam (my first HAL ship several years ago!) next year to Hawaii.

My wife and I are sailing on the Zuiderdam in October for the first time. I have read bad reviews and great reviews. I have noticed that people sail on the Zuiderdam over and over again and that is good enough for me.:)

Hey Brewbaker, when are you sailing on Zuiderdam in Oct.? If you are on the Oct. 1st sailing, be sure to attend the Cruise Critic get-togethers we have planned.

Richard

Archived