Our DIY Santorini Report

VirtualRain

• 4 weeks later...

I have become a real fan of your photography and will follow your footsteps in both Santorini and Athens ! Im very grateful for all the Info. Just a couple of questions. Were there hire car depots in the same area as Markos? What time did you leave and return to the ship. Was the Santo Winery worth a visit or would you choose another place if you had a next time round, and if so where or what? I ask this as we are not wine drinkers.

I have become a real fan of your photography and will follow your footsteps in both Santorini and Athens ! Im very grateful for all the Info. Just a couple of questions. Were there hire car depots in the same area as Markos? What time did you leave and return to the ship. Was the Santo Winery worth a visit or would you choose another place if you had a next time round, and if so where or what? I ask this as we are not wine drinkers.

Hi... And thanks.

All the car hire places are in fairly close proximity... This map shows were most of them are, noted with black motorbike or car symbols...

http://mappery.com/map-of/Fira-Tourist-Map

Our ship was in Santorini from 8AM to 7PM and we made the most of it. We were among the first off and the last on. :)

We visited the Santo Winery strictly for the view and photo ops. We didn't try the wine so I can't comment on that. But it seems like a bit of a tourist trap primarily oriented around accommodating large bus loads of tour groups. I would certainly recommend a stop there just for the view. There is plenty of parking and no charge to stop and look around.

. . . At any popular location in Europe during the summer months my biggest challenge is taking a picture free of other people posing for a shot taken by someone else. . . .

Our last cruise with a stop in Santorini, we booked the ship's "OYO" tour -- were on the first bus out with our first stop in Oio -- I have several pictures that I showed my DH and DD and asked them "what is different" about this picture. Their immediate answer was "no people" -- within a half of a hour the place was PACKED (and this was late November), but the first 20-30 minutes was priceless!

Our last cruise with a stop in Santorini, we booked the ship's "OYO" tour -- were on the first bus out with our first stop in Oio -- I have several pictures that I showed my DH and DD and asked them "what is different" about this picture. Their immediate answer was "no people" -- within a half of a hour the place was PACKED (and this was late November), but the first 20-30 minutes was priceless!

That's so true... being the first to arrive or the last to leave is such a huge benefit to capturing nice photos as much for the early/late light as for the lack of tourists. One of the downsides to being a photography enthusiast is that I have to be up earlier to be among the first off the ship in most ports to have a fighting chance of good photos. The non photography side of me would much prefer to sleep in. :o

Another trick to getting shots of monuments or structures without other people in them is to try different angles from where most other people are shooting from... try at the base looking up or a different kind of framing, or zooming in.

Another trick I've used is to utilize an ultra wide angle lens and move right up close.

Last but not least, you can always photoshop people out of your photos. Like this one of the entrance to the field at Olympia... (I tried to wait it out but it was fruitless)

p1222216728-4.jpg

Here's the original...

p1326814730-4.jpg

Edited by VirtualRain

• 1 month later...
That's so true... being the first to arrive or the last to leave is such a huge benefit to capturing nice photos as much for the early/late light as for the lack of tourists. One of the downsides to being a photography enthusiast is that I have to be up earlier to be among the first off the ship in most ports to have a fighting chance of good photos. The non photography side of me would much prefer to sleep in. :o

Another trick to getting shots of monuments or structures without other people in them is to try different angles from where most other people are shooting from... try at the base looking up or a different kind of framing, or zooming in.

Another trick I've used is to utilize an ultra wide angle lens and move right up close.

Last but not least, you can always photoshop people out of your photos. Like this one of the entrance to the field at Olympia... (I tried to wait it out but it was fruitless)

p1222216728-4.jpg

Here's the original...

p1326814730-4.jpg

How do you photoshop a picture...I have no idea.

Doesn't Celebrity offer some decent shore excursions? I'm not one to plan a lot of my own...and I want to see as much as I can when we visit Santorini...I've heard such wonderful things about. Shore excursions are not up yet for our cruise in Sept. and I've just begun researching ports.

How do you photoshop a picture...I have no idea.

Doesn't Celebrity offer some decent shore excursions? I'm not one to plan a lot of my own...and I want to see as much as I can when we visit Santorini...I've heard such wonderful things about. Shore excursions are not up yet for our cruise in Sept. and I've just begun researching ports.

Photoshopping is a broad topic, but in the case above, I used a digital brush to "paint" over the people with other parts of the scene.

I'm afraid I've got no insights into ship tours. That's not our thing.

• 2 weeks later...
We recently visited Santorini as part of our Princess cruise in early October, and I thought I would share some DIY tips and some points-of-interest for photographers wanting to add some of the world-famous Santorini photos to their personal collections.

Santorini was by far, one of the highlights of our trip and one of the most exotic locations I’ve ever visited. It’s unique geology and architecture make for a stunning location that is a photographer’s dream.

Maps:

While there seems to be a lot of hoopla about Apple’s new map app in iOS6, I have to say that Google Maps has nothing on Apple when it comes to Santorini. Not only is there no street view available, but very few businesses are located correctly, if it all, and even the satellite view is terribly over exposed for most of the urban areas of Santorini due to the white buildings.

So, I’ve taken some time to mark some points of interest, and a couple of great restaurant stops on Google maps...

My Google Map of Santorini

If you’d like to take your Google Map with you for offline use on iOS, I highly recommend Cartographer in the app store. It’s a gem for travel. You can plot all your points of interest on Google Maps using your computer and then easily store them for offline use on your iOS device. It’s my essential travel map app.

Getting up the cliff

p1208218410-4.jpg

As most people know, there are only a few ways to get up to Fira from where the tender’s drop you… take the gondola, a donkey, or walk up the same switch-back path as the donkeys.

On the day we were in Santorini, we were the first of only two large ships to anchor in the bay, which means crowds were relatlively light compared to what I heard was a high of eight different ships on some days. :eek: As a result there wasn’t much of a line for either the donkeys or the gondola, but we opted for the donkey ride. :D

Now, while the animals are universally referred to as donkey’s they are almost certainly mules. They are large animals and equipped with saddles/stirrups and appropriate saddle blankets. I didn’t witness any abuse or mistreatment. The cobble-stone path up is at a modest grade and it takes about 15 minutes.

Here’s a pic of my GF on her mule at the base…

p1208219244-4.jpg

The mules pretty much make their own way up the path sometimes doddling and sometimes competing with a fellow mule for lead position in the group.

Overall, I think it’s a memorable way to get up the cliff for 5-Euro while offering a small taste of history. Having said that, I completely understand the viewpoint of those who don’t want to see the continued use of pack animals here so lets please leave that debate for other threads where the subject has already been discussed at length.

Whatever route you take to the top, you’re rewarded with your first of many stunning vistas…

p1208219848-4.jpg

Our plan and itinerary

Our objective was to explore Oia (pronounced "Ia") first, then find the famous church in Firostefani on the way back, followed by a visit to Santo Winery for some pictures of the caldera, and then end up back in Fira where we could spend the rest of the day shopping until it was time to head down and back to the ship.

Transportation

There are basically three ways to get around the island… take a tour, rent an ATV (bike, car, etc.), or take the public bus. Since we wanted the ultimate in flexibility, we opted to rent an ATV from Markos. It cost 20-Euro for the ATV and another 10-Euro in gas. There are several ATV rental options on the main road and just one block west of the main road in Fira. Markos is convenient and affordable. Here’s the website with information on pricing and location…

Link to Markos ATV Rentals

Parking in Oia and at Santos is plentiful and free. The traffic wasn’t bad and the great thing about an ATV is that’s very easy to pull off if you have impatient traffic behind you or aren’t sure where you’re going.

These pictures are just beautiful...esp the mule and your GF!!! I laughed. Are you able to recommend a car rental in Santorini? Thanks!

These pictures are just beautiful...esp the mule and your GF!!! I laughed. Are you able to recommend a car rental in Santorini? Thanks!

No, I'm afraid I don't have any experience with any particular car rental agency, but there are a number of them there. They are marked on this map with a car symbol... http://mappery.com/map-of/Fira-Tourist-Map

DH and I visited Santorini this past fall on a Celebrity cruise. We rented a car from Santorini Holiday Cars. We were on the island most of the day (8A - 4P). The car rental company met us at the top of the cable car at 9A. Very quickly we were off to Oia.

We spent about an hour and a half in Oia. Not too many tourist there at the time. By the time we left Oia, the bus loads were arriving. We then went to the ruins at Akortiri. No one was there. I found it very interesting. No, not as impressive at Delos or Ephesus, but you felt like you were in the middle of an excavation site (which you are!).

On to Santos Winery where we sampled a wine flight and had snacks with it. We live in a California wine appellation and know winery owners, are members of wine clubs, etc. So we try to explore wine areas throughout the world. We then tried to visit a winery/gallery. Unbeknownst to us, it had closed for the season. However, the owner was there doing work. When we told him we had travel a long way to see his winery, he gave us a private tour and tasting. We bought a bottle of sweet wine for our 20 something yr. old son. The we visited a wine museum (history of wine making in Santorini) and tasted their wines. All in all, the wines on Santorini are OK, but not great. However their vineyards are fascinating. They grow the grape vines in circles (like a basket) with the grapes in the middle. It is to protect the grapes and vines from the wind.

We finished up in Fira. We returned the car and walked around the town. We were back on the ship by 4:15P.

We had a blast. We covered quite a bit of the island. We sat on our cabin balcony drinking California wine while watching the sun set as the ship sailed from Santorini.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Virtual Rain,

I can't possibly begin to tell you how helpful your DIY plan was! I've been doing research for a couple of weeks now and a bit hesitant about DIY but it sounds doable. We are on the Jade and as luck would have it will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary in Santorini which is fantastic. The only problem is that we port at 1:30-10:00pm and won't have much sunlight as sun sets at 6:42pm. Do you have any suggestions or alterations to your itinerary or would it still work?

My husband is a major photo enthusiast as well but he only has a Canon 60D (:. Love your photos and tips.

I've just found this port forum and wondered if you posted DIY's for other ports as this one is extremely helpful!!!

Thanks for all your time....

They seat 2 comfortably and include helmets.

Hello VirtualRain,

I just have a quick question that may be a bit off topic. My wife and I are thinking of going there and just staying at a hotel or resort for around 10-14 days. Do you think there is enough to do/see on Santorini? We like to see the sites, take pics but are also comfortable just beaching it as well.

Thanks!

Hi Virtual Rain,

I can't possibly begin to tell you how helpful your DIY plan was! I've been doing research for a couple of weeks now and a bit hesitant about DIY but it sounds doable. We are on the Jade and as luck would have it will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary in Santorini which is fantastic. The only problem is that we port at 1:30-10:00pm and won't have much sunlight as sun sets at 6:42pm. Do you have any suggestions or alterations to your itinerary or would it still work?

My husband is a major photo enthusiast as well but he only has a Canon 60D (:. Love your photos and tips.

I've just found this port forum and wondered if you posted DIY's for other ports as this one is extremely helpful!!!

Thanks for all your time....

Thanks. I'm glad you found this helpful.

I'm actually jealous of your itinerary... I would love to experience a Santorini sunset and evening. The hour just before and following the sunset should make for some spectacular photos, never mind the sunset itself.

If I had the chance to be there at the hours you mention I would spend the early afternoon in Fira and then head to Santorini with a desire to be there for those two hours around sunset taking photos. I would make a dinner reservation upon arrival at one of the restaurants there that strike your fancy in case it gets busy later.

If your husband has a portable tripod, I'd encourage him to take it as the photos of Oia in the dying light would probably be awesome.

After sunset, I'd grab dinner and then head back to Fira and the ship.

Good luck and if you remember, be sure to post back with your own experience and photos. I'd love to see Oia in the evening! :)

Hello VirtualRain,

I just have a quick question that may be a bit off topic. My wife and I are thinking of going there and just staying at a hotel or resort for around 10-14 days. Do you think there is enough to do/see on Santorini? We like to see the sites, take pics but are also comfortable just beaching it as well.

Thanks!

It seems like a great place for a reclusive getaway. Personally, I couldn't see myself there that long as I get bored easily (which is part of the reason I like cruising so much). It really depends on how you want to spend your time. I could see at least three or four afternoons of excursions away from your hotel, but I'm no expert on all the island had to offer. Sorry I can't be more helpful. :(

Hi Virtual Rain,

Thank you so much for your reply! I wasn't sure if you were still monitoring this forum. We're going on the Jade in October, so not too happy with the time as sunset is around 6:45pm. Doesn't leave a lot of daytime hours. My husband plans to rent a lens to take with us. Do you have any suggestions for a versatile lens? His basic lens is a 28-200 f3.5-4.6. We're going to pick up a circular filter today. He's an amateur wrt photography but still learning. (Means nothing to me, but I take the pictures for photo books on our mac.) What kind of device did you load the maps onto to in order to operate offline? We're thinking of an ipad but not sure. I have the iphone, but afraid of "roaming charges."

This is our 1st European cruise and to save costs we're trying to DIY as much as possible (kids in university can "suck" you dry!). There's lots of info out there, but the more I read, the more confused I get. I appreciate your DIY's of Athens and plan to look very carefully at it to see if we can mimic it somewhat. We're stopping in Katakalon, Corfu, Ephesus (private tour), Mykonos,Split, Dubrovnik, Venice (know it well) and a land day trip to Verona. So much research!

If you have any suggestions, I certainly welcome and value your guidance!

Thanks

Edited by sgcc2866

Hi Virtual Rain,

Thank you so much for your reply! I wasn't sure if you were still monitoring this forum. We're going on the Jade in October, so not too happy with the time as sunset is around 6:45pm. Doesn't leave a lot of daytime hours. My husband plans to rent a lens to take with us. Do you have any suggestions for a versatile lens? His basic lens is a 28-200 f3.5-4.6. We're going to pick up a circular filter today. He's an amateur wrt photography but still learning. (Means nothing to me, but I take the pictures for photo books on our mac.) What kind of device did you load the maps onto to in order to operate offline? We're thinking of an ipad but not sure. I have the iphone, but afraid of "roaming charges."

This is our 1st European cruise and to save costs we're trying to DIY as much as possible (kids in university can "suck" you dry!). There's lots of info out there, but the more I read, the more confused I get. I appreciate your DIY's of Athens and plan to look very carefully at it to see if we can mimic it somewhat. We're stopping in Katakalon, Corfu, Ephesus (private tour), Mykonos,Split, Dubrovnik, Venice (know it well) and a land day trip to Verona. So much research!

If you have any suggestions, I certainly welcome and value your guidance!

Thanks

No problem, I use an app called Tapatalk to monitor the CC threads I'm active in... it's a great tool.

Im afraid I can't make a lens recommendation unless I know what camera he has. And bags are very specific to your needs, so I can't really recommend anything there either. I like to travel light in port so I use a Sun Sniper Pro strap on my camera and usually just use that with my camera and 24-105 lens on most shore days. If I know I'm going to need a second lens, I have a compact bag that will do the trick. So in my case, I have a backpack camera bag for all my gear that stays in my room, a small bag for occasional use (holds the camera, one attached lens, and one extra lens), and then my Sunsniper for the ultimate in travelling light on port days.

For offline maps... I use an App on my iPhone called Cartographer, but I understand, it's no longer available. Another app I often use for offline maps on my iPad is CityMaps2Go. If you take your iPhone just turn off "data roaming" in the cellular network settings to avoid nasty charges. The location awareness (GPS) will continue to work and won't cost you anything. But you do need to have the maps downloaded somehow ahead of time.

As you may have seen, I have similar DIY reports on Katakolon, Mykonos, and Corfu (if you haven't seen them, try a search) and Athens (as you already know). I haven't been to Ephesus, but Split, Dubrovnik, and Venice are all just walking towns so I didn't have much in the way of useful info on those ports and thus never bothered with a report on them.

Thanks so much! That's very helpful! My husband has the 50D Canon, but we just went to see if we could rent a L series lens, but no such luck. A bit to expensive to buy at this moment. Just purchased an ipad today, so in the process of downloading some apps that might work and using icloud to store documents. Still lots of time. I will search for your other DIY tips for the other ports. Sounds like I may need to check out your sunsniper. We don't want to be too bogged down with devices. Yes, definitely need to turn of the data roaming for sure!!

So many things to learn...tapatalk. Need to check that out!

Thanks again and have a great day!

How far away is Oia to Firostefani (and Mama Thira restaurant). Can one walk or does one have to take the bus or car?Thanks.

Oia is about 12km from Fira (Fitostefani) or at least a 2hr walk. See the map in the original post. Firastefani is just a short walk north of Fira however.