NOLA Port Tips?

Havinsnest

Well, I haven't sailed from NOLA since 2003, but I had such a great time in and around the pier. Take the streetcar to the garden district. Dance through Boubon Street.

I stayed at the Hilton and watched the ship come in Saturday morning. NOLA is an interesting city. I hope you have time to explore and enjoy it. Have a benyas at Cafe DuMond.

Enjoy your freestyle cruising.

Laissez les bons temps rouler.

Super easy port. If you're driving, the parking garage is literally next to the ship. Friendly staff inside the terminal and quick embarkation. We've tried to be at the pier around 10 a.m. and have been among the first to board. The sail down the Mississippi is awesome. Tons to see in the first hour or so. Try to stay awake to see how the water changes as you enter the gulf from the mouth of the river.

NOLA itself is great. Let yourself go and get into the vibe of the city and you'll be hooked.

More questions, just ask.

Well, I haven't sailed from NOLA since 2003, but I had such a great time in and around the pier. Take the streetcar to the garden district. Dance through Boubon Street.

I stayed at the Hilton and watched the ship come in Saturday morning. NOLA is an interesting city. I hope you have time to explore and enjoy it. Have a benyas at Cafe DuMond.

Enjoy your freestyle cruising.

Laissez les bons temps rouler.

I agree. Not only are the beignets at Cafe du Monde out-of-this-world delicious, but the chicory coffee is mmmm too.

It's about a 10 - 15 minute walk from the pier, and well worth it.

There are usually line-ups, so try to leave some extra time.

Take jackets, as the ride down the Mississippi will likely be a cool one (we will be on the Star the week after you), but it's one not to be missed as it is very unique. It takes many hours to hit the gulf and it's pretty cool to watch the lights go by of the little towns along the river. There are some pretty sharp curves when you first leave the pier! We were on a river boat and watched a Carnival ship leave and it was an amazing view from the water!

When we sailed from NOLA in 2009, they only had one ship per day departing, but now they have 2 so I'm expecting much more congestion. I have no idea how they will have it set up for the Star and Carnival Conquest on the same day - that will be new to us as well.

Take jackets, as the ride down the Mississippi will likely be a cool one (we will be on the Star the week after you), but it's one not to be missed as it is very unique. It takes many hours to hit the gulf and it's pretty cool to watch the lights go by of the little towns along the river. There are some pretty sharp curves when you first leave the pier! We were on a river boat and watched a Carnival ship leave and it was an amazing view from the water!

When we sailed from NOLA in 2009, they only had one ship per day departing, but now they have 2 so I'm expecting much more congestion. I have no idea how they will have it set up for the Star and Carnival Conquest on the same day - that will be new to us as well.

Jackets are already on the list. I have a page of things to look for/at as we leave NOLA and head down the Mississippi.

Three of our cruises have been on Conquest out of Galveston. RCI has a ship that leaves an hour later so we are used to that sort of congestion.

We love NOLA and are looking forward to spending a little time there before and after the cruise.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Beignets at Cafe Du Monde. Get powdered sugar all over yourself!!!;)

Since Star is at the other pier now, parking is not right beside the ship, but still a short walk. There is no congestion with the two ships leaving. Carnival leaves earlier and you will never see her again on the river, unless she's very slow. You will pass a lot of cargo ships, river traffic and some small towns along the way. A couple of times the river turns so much you will be looking back toward NO.

Weather can be anything from nice and warm to very cold. We have done the December cruise now for 5 years and have had everything from fog so thick you couldn't see the bow, to upper 70's and mid 30's. By morning it is always warm and pool weather.

Within about 45 minutes of leaving port it will be to dark to see much of anything. Sometimes it will wake you up when you reach the Gulf and you will feel the motion change.

There is so much to see and do in NO, it depends on how long you are going to be in town before/after your cruise.

Three of our cruises have been on Conquest out of Galveston. RCI has a ship that leaves an hour later so we are used to that sort of congestion.

We've sailed out of Galveston several (4) times as well, in March we were on Mariner sailing out with Carnival Magic. The area at the port in NOLA is much more compact than the Galveston port. Galveston has been handling 2 ships at a time in port for several years (granted, really those years have only been half years since RCCL abandons Galveston from mid-April until November). The footprint of the NOLA cruise port terminal is very small compared to Galveston.

Also, there is a Cafe Du Monde in the Riverwalk Marketplace, which is a mall right next to the Julia Street terminal (NCL). It's walkable if you don't have mobility issues. The beignets are wonderful and messy! We picked some up on our way out of town - and should have gotten more napkins.

Archived