Asia Or Med?

High C's

Million dollar question. If you were to choose between a cruise to Asia (looking at Bangkok to Beijing) or Grand Med (Venice to Barcelona), what would you choose? We are currently booked for the Grand Med, but because we saw a majority of the ports already on our cruise last year (RCCL), I am now considering Asia in October instead. This is for our 25th, so I want it to be "out of this world" All opinions most welcome!!!

Thanks in advance

I personally prefer Asia, which usually have more sea days between ports.

Highly recommend the Bangkok - Beijing itinerary. We did a variation of that couple years back, Singaport to Beijing, and had a grand time.

Med cruises are like the Baltic - very port-intensive, and not as relaxing as cruises with sea days.

We loved the ports in Asia, so much to see. I think if it were me I would look at both of these cruises closely. For us, it would definitely be Asia over the Med anyday. Just to push you over the edge a bit, your dollar will go a lot further in Asia than what you will get with the Euro too. :D

That's an easy one for me---Asia.

In fact we will be booking the Sapphire Princess for the Beijing to Bangkok cruise on October 26, 2006 as soon as bookings open in mid June. We'll also be taking the Beijing pre cruise option--same with Bangkok post cruise option. I'm not sure if we'll also do the Yangtze Riverboat or the Terra Cotta Warriors in Xian because of the 44 pound luggage limit, strictly enforced, in China.

The 16 night cruise portion is awsome, a once in a lifetime trip.

We've been all over Europe, both at sea and on land. In fact, we leave for Bucherest Romania on July 4th for a 4 day tour followed by a 10 night Riverboat cruise ending in Budapest where we'll spend some additional time.

Also, we will be on a 14 night Baltic-Russia cruise July 1, 2006.

There are plenty of trips offered for Europe, but so few for China and Asia.

We tried to get on the October Diamond Princess China/Far East cruise for this October but it was fully booked many months in advance. If you can, go for it.

Ellis

If I'd never done either, I'd probably opt for the Med...because I love the region...

BUT, like you, we have done the Med before...actually done a LOT of Europe by both cruise and air/land trips...and it is ALSO OUR 25th Anniversary next year...

SO, we are opting for Asia...because this one should be special...not that Europe isn't Special...but, when you've cruised Europe 3 times in the previous 5 years, it's not quite as special as breaking new ground and seeing something completely new and different...

...Which is why, faced with that same question, we are looking at cruising Asia...

I'm on the 10/23 Beijing to Bangkok cruise this year--and VERY excited about it. Among other reasons, we choose Asia because the dollar goes much further there right now then in Europe. Besides, like you, we've done major european capitols on cruises and land tours before and this is our first opportunity to visit Asia. If you are considering Asia for this year, be advised that the Princess cruises are heavily sold. Indeed, I believe our trip is sold out--and has been almost since the first of the year. The reverse itinerary, Bangkok to Beijing still has rooms available, but the prices of the rooms have risen significantly!

Whatever you decide, happy anniversary...and have a great time!

Congratulations ;)

I loved the Med & look forward to doing it again. Have not yet cruised Asia, but, from reading the posts hard choice.

I will say that Venice (to me) is one of THE most romantic places in the world.

Good Luck with your choice & keep us posted.

My vote is Med - we did a 14 day Mediterranean cruise last June and we're booked to go again in Oct/06. The place is fantastic:D, yes, port intensive, but you can make it as active or as relaxed as you like. We love the Greek history and wonderful ruins (DH is a history major) and are looking forward to returning next year.

Asia? Not high on our list of priorities - if we go, we'd likely just fly to Tokyo and visit with our son who lives there. We would use him as our tour guide.

Smooth Sailing and Happy Anniversary! :) :) :)

That would be a no brainer for me, since you did the Med last year, it would be Asia for me without a question. It is a big world out there and Asia is much more foreign than the Med. It is fascinating. Took the 30 day Bangkok to Venice last year. And as Druke I and Toto2Kansas have pointed out there are more sea days and the dollar goes further in Asia.

We did both within 2 months!!! In March we were on the Sapphire Princess 19 night Sydney- Bangkok and in April we were on the 16 night Grand Princess Galveston-Rome.

Although we enjoyed the ports in the Med... Lisbon, Barcelona, Cannes, Livorno, and Rome, we enjoyed the Asia cruise much more.

Archived