Incontinence question

judyfssw

My husband is incontinent and wears depends all of the time (the pull-up kind). We are traveling from Detroit to Aukland which is a total time of 27+ hours. I will have him get up every 2 or 3 hours on the plane and planned to have him wear 2 depends and a pad which I could change. Any other suggestions?

I would suggest just one depends (maximum absorbency) plus a heavy duty disposable pad that you could change easily during the flights. It is very unlikely that you will find a toilet on any plane that would be large enough for the two of you in order to change him.

Why not have him use a "Texas" catheter also called a condom catheter. It is applied the same as a condom but has a drainage port at the end. The urine drains into a bag that is usually secured to a person's leg with straps and can be worn under a pair of pants. The bag can hold quite a bit of urine which can be drained periodically in the rest room.

Can't remember if you need an Rx. for it. Just a suggestion but it might work.

Tom

You do need a rx for Texas Catheters, but they work great. My husband started wearing them a few years ago when we were going to fly from Florida to Hawaii. My dad wears depends and I much prefer the catheters that my husband wears. One might slip off from time to time, but he never gets the leakage that my dad gets with his depends.

Have a friend that is wheelchair bound. Regardless of how long the flight he uses a catheter. Also remember him telling me that the Doctor places him on a RX to help to control the his urge. Also his wife places a disposable absorbency chair pad on the airplane to prevent preven the seat from damage should there be an leakage. She also brings a supply of plastic bags to wrap the items in for secure disposable.

There are a lot of external catheters available for men now days. My husband uses the Liberty3.0 by BioDerm. It is very good. Just do a search for BioDerm, and it should be listed there.

My husband uses them 24/7, and it is so nice to not worry anymore about urinary track infections.

You do not need a prescription to purchase external condom catheters, although you may need a prescription if you expect insurance to cover them.

There are a number of different ones on the market. It would be best to try some out now to find ones that will work for him. These can be connected to a leg bag with an extension tubing on it so it can be strapped around his calf (get the type of bag with velcro straps, not rubber ones). The external condom catheter should be changed daily, and best to use a protective skin wipe on the skin underneath. The self-adhesive ones are the easiest to use and stay on the best.

This can be a long term remedy for using diapers for urinary incontinence for men. Unfortunately there is nothing equal for the use of women.

I am assuming that he is not incontinent of stool as well as urine...that is a more difficult issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived