Just got home... Cruising with Hurricane Sandy on Carnival Miracle...

dimppy70

Glad to hear that CArnival gave you a 50% credit because of how rough. We did Carnival about 5 years ago with tropical storm Ida and they gave us nothing. Only saw barf bags all over the boat. But we made the best of it. Glad you made it home safely. You will always remember this storm..

Was cruisin with Hurricane Sandy on the Carnival Miracle.. Missed two ports and just got home today. Still feel like we are rocking on de boat!! :o) Glad to be home safely.

We were on the Miracle years ago out of Tampa when hurricane Wilma went through the gulf and followed us to Tampa. That was quit a ride out of Cozumel and back to Tampa. Lot's of barf bags to. I don't get seasick so had a great meal by myself that night since everybody else was sick. Glad all went well in the end and the 50% credit will come in handy. Happy Cruisen!:)

Luckily we had a friend pick us up and it was only a three hour drive home. I can't imagine anyone who had to fly home. Flights are all messed up.

my sister got an email from my brother, carnival put them up in a hotel for the night, but now they are stuck in Manhattan in an evacuation zone..... ok what the hell do Canadians from southern Ontario know about evacuations?? :eek: for now they are safe no idea when they will get home.

Probably won't be walking straight for a few days. LOL

I have to say I was disappointed in a lot of people. Very disrespectful to crew members. I know everyone was upset, but no reason to take it out on crew. It's mother nature.. not their fault. I'd rather miss ports and come home early safe then see any of us injured.

Carnival was nice enough to give us 50% off a future cruise, reimbursed port fees for the two ports we missed, missed excursions through carnival were reimbursed and we will be credited for th day that we missed returning early.

Agree that people should not take their disappointment & stress out on the crew!

The 50% off future cruise - that was just offered by Carnival upfront or only after people complained? My son & family were on the Dream, kept at sea an extra day, missed their flight & Delta was not one of the 3 offering no change fee at that point so basically they lost those 3 tickets. Came into port on Sunday...that flight canceled & now they're still in Orlando until Wed. night.

They were not offered any future cruise discount for coming in a day late. Again, the decision by Carnival is based on safety but I'm sure many people were angry cause other ships continued on & made it to Port Canaveral on schedule. Was wondering if on the Dream if those people who complained, whether nicely or not - lol, got something & nothing to those that took it in stride.

Thanks! Me too!! I hope the next group of cruisers makes it out okay today. They are going out a day early and I think their itinerary has changed.

Was watching Good Morning America And George was talking to Captain Vito from the Miracle and he was saying they were in some rough seas .

Sounds to me like Carnival did everything and more that they were contractually obligated to do. I would've been happy with this cruise +50% off my next one. What an adventure!

Would've had issue with folks being rude to crew over something that was completley out of their control.

What?! Carnival gave out 50% credit? We were on a storm cruise with half of the ports were missed. It was not even a hurricane, but the mist reached Lido deck! Our captain decided to battle the high seas instead of staying in the port like other cruise ships did. Most passengers as well as crew members were sick. But we did not get anything!

Agree that people should not take their disappointment & stress out on the crew!

The 50% off future cruise - that was just offered by Carnival upfront or only after people complained? My son & family were on the Dream, kept at sea an extra day, missed their flight & Delta was not one of the 3 offering no change fee at that point so basically they lost those 3 tickets. Came into port on Sunday...that flight canceled & now they're still in Orlando until Wed. night.

They were not offered any future cruise discount for coming in a day late. Again, the decision by Carnival is based on safety but I'm sure many people were angry cause other ships continued on & made it to Port Canaveral on schedule. Was wondering if on the Dream if those people who complained, whether nicely or not - lol, got something & nothing to those that took it in stride.

While I'm not unsympathetic to your son's travel nightmare, you have to understand that the people who were given a 50% discount missed two ports and had their cruise ended a day early after outrunning a hurricane. Your son's cruise, on the other hand, lasted an extra day while CCL did the prudent thing and waited out the storm. As for other ships who made it back to Port Canaveral, I suggest you go check out DISboards and read the angry/horrified accounts of the passengers who were on the Disney Fantasy. I really don't think there's a winning hand for a cruise line in this type of situation; someone is going to be upset.

As to the travel problems, your son's travel insurance should pick up the tab for the airfare and extra hotel rooms. And FYI - Delta is the WORST!

Watching news about New York and the weather now. Can't imagine what the people who are on the Miracle now are going to come back to. Wow!

As for the 50% off credit on a future cruise, that was announced when they told us we would be missing two ports. I don't think it was due to people complaining. I know the Pride got the same deal because they also missed two ports.

Very hard to keep my mouth shut when I heard all the complaining. We always try to have a good attitude. It is what it is. I think Carnival did the best could and had our safety in mind. We lost a day at sea, but I'm glad to be home and prepared for the storm to hit here.

I saw there is a woman posting from on board the Miracle now. Will be interesting to hear how they are making out. She already stated that the captain has them staying along the coast instead of going out more east. Hope that keeps them safe!!

my sister got an email from my brother, carnival put them up in a hotel for the night, but now they are stuck in Manhattan in an evacuation zone..... ok what the hell do Canadians from southern Ontario know about evacuations?? :eek: for now they are safe no idea when they will get home.

Oh my!!! I do hope they stay safe!! We will definitely be thinking of them.

While I'm not unsympathetic to your son's travel nightmare, you have to understand that the people who were given a 50% discount missed two ports and had their cruise ended a day early after outrunning a hurricane. Your son's cruise, on the other hand, lasted an extra day while CCL did the prudent thing and waited out the storm. As for other ships who made it back to Port Canaveral, I suggest you go check out DISboards and read the angry/horrified accounts of the passengers who were on the Disney Fantasy. I really don't think there's a winning hand for a cruise line in this type of situation; someone is going to be upset.

As to the travel problems, your son's travel insurance should pick up the tab for the airfare and extra hotel rooms. And FYI - Delta is the WORST!

I was on the same Carnival Dream cruise and I agree with you. We did make all of our ports and got the extra day at sea (although a rough day at sea....LOL). I was just very glad to return to dry land safe and sound!!!

After reading all the horror stories from some of the other cruiselines I am VERY glad we had the Captain that we did. He did an excellent job in keeping us safe and I for one never once thought Carnival owed us anything.

It was just Mother Nature......and I don't think she gives out "future cruise credits".......LOL

Amazing that the Carnival Miracle went back out to sea Sunday night. I think

the captain got ahead of himself. My husband heard that the seas were so

bad this time (rogue 30 foot waves) and people getting sick all over the ship...

he decided to head for England. Boy, am I glad we got off so much more gently. I also just submitted a review of our cruise and the ship to the Cruise

Review section. Hope you will too!

I saw there is a woman posting from on board the Miracle now. Will be interesting to hear how they are making out. She already stated that the captain has them staying along the coast instead of going out more east. Hope that keeps them safe!!

Glad you had a positive trip. We were on the Miracle the week before you and had a great time with just 2 rocky days and 3 great port visits.

We do know some people who were on the ship with you, so we were concerned.

I am following the Neptune Goddess thread, 9 days!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1729609

Here in NYC, Manhattan has major flood issues, wind is still intense. Our company is closed for at least 2 days, in fact there is no power where our office is, and transportation has yet to resume.

ok what the hell do Canadians from southern Ontario know about evacuations?? :eek: for now they are safe no idea when they will get home.

I am a Canadian from Toronto, we're lucky we drove from Toronto to the port so we got off that boat as quickly as we could and made a mad dash inland, I feel for your family. Had I known I'd have taken them home with me!! I hope it works out ok, keep us posted when you can.

While I'm not unsympathetic to your son's travel nightmare, you have to understand that the people who were given a 50% discount missed two ports and had their cruise ended a day early after outrunning a hurricane.

Thank you! This is how I feel. I would rather get 100% of a cruise than 50% off one because I only received 37% of it. The storm displaced a lot of us but your son got what he payed for. I've learned the value of travel insurance. If someone gave me the choice I wouldn't have wanted to stay on that boat knowing we would be at sea for 4 days and loose 2 ports of call, but there was nothing in my power I could do to make that happen. But Carnival, the largest cruise line in the world, does have the power to reimburse us for the 4 days, but they have made the choice not to.

We were in cabin #6172.. Midship... They had the barf bags out Thursday. Thursday was extremely rocky and you could tell the dining room wasn't as fool. I don't get seasick. My husband does, but took ginger the whole time and felt half decent. We had a pretty good mist of water splashing on our balcony Thursday evening, so you know we were rocking pretty good. Bummed we missed two ports, but glad we came back a day early and safely.

We cruised in November, 2009 out of Tampa on the Legend. I can't remember what hurricane it was but we caught the tail end of it. We had to go down the coast around Cuba instead of into the gulf. The first 2 days were There were 20-30 foot waves and 50-70mph winds. All outside decks were closed with water coming over on the upper decks. Luckily we had an inside midship cabin on the lower level. At least we couldn't feel much there. Both of our girls got seasick when they went to campcarnival for 10 minutes. We spent alot of time in our room that day! We did try to go up top to get some fresh air and got yelled at since it was closed! Once we got around Cuba, the weater was beautiful! We thught we would be at the end of hurricane season and thought we would take a chance...I am not sure I will travel during hurricane season again! Glad you made it back safe!

Archived