OPT Sydney Query

brad_p

We are cruising on Radiance in Dec. We are flying in from Auckland and arrive at 10am. By the time we get through the airport and get a taxi to OPT I assume we will be there at 11am.

I would like to buy some coke to have in our cabin (and maybe to mix with our secret stash in our Rum Runners! :eek: )

I was thinking about getting an 18pk then placing it in a back pack which we would check-in so I don't have to lug it around until we get access to our cabin.

I have a few questions so I know if this would work:

1) Can I drop our suitcases from our flight, go away, and then drop another bag?

2) Where is the closest supermarket to the OPT that I can buy a slab of cokes? How long would it take to walk to/from?

3) A bit off-topic but will RCI have a problem with taking cans of coke on board? There will be nothing else in the back pack except the coke - it will be zipped but not locked.

Thanks in advance!

1- As far as I'm aware you can check as many bags as you like, you just might get a funny look from the baggage handler if you drop off too many to the same one! haha

2- Closest 'supermarket' is Coles Central on George St opposite the Apple store. There are convenience stores that are scattered around closer but you would pay a premium there and I don't know if they stock cases of Coke.

3- I don't think they police it or anything but I'm sure they aren't pleased when people BYO and cut down where they make revenue :P

Unless you are really committed, I don't think there is much better value purchasing Coke off the ship in Sydney and putting in all the effort for getting it there and on, for the small premium you will pay to buy Coke onboard, probably $2.50-3 a can I would say it's easier just to get it on there and not have to worry about lugging it around Sydney. Maybe there is a supermarket nearby one of the ports that will be easier?

Spirits on the other hand are definitely better value and convenient to take on though :)

RCI won't let you take soft drink on board. Both your hand and checked luggage gets scanned and the drinks will be taken off you. Not worth the effort. Either buy the drinks on board individually or get one soft drink package. You can purchase this on-line or on board.

Good question and it looks like some have answered it. I like my coke too and can easily take it on P&O UK ships and do it all the time. Its even cheaper to get the 600ml coke from vendors and walk on with them.

Perhaps as an idea you could step off the ship buy a 600ml bottle and try walking on the ship with one. If challenged all you have to do is drink the whole lot and if allowed to take it on then you know your limits and can work out a plan to smuggle your soft drink on.

Here is a funny story from 2008. I was on Oriana doing a Iceland/Norway cruise and the tour lunch included free soft drinks. I managed to pick up the remaining 300ml bottles of fanta that no one wanted and took back to the ship. When they scanned the bags the fanta appeared a bright colour and instead of pulling me up they get the wrong bag and challenge the man behind me about what the drinks are in his bag. They wanted to know if it was alcohol. He admitted the bag on the screen was his (even though it was mine) and had to submit to a bag check. I walked off as fast as I could trying not to burst into laughter as the poor man was getting his bag checked for alcohol he was bringing on.

RCI won't let you take soft drink on board. Both your hand and checked luggage gets scanned and the drinks will be taken off you. Not worth the effort. Either buy the drinks on board individually or get one soft drink package. You can purchase this on-line or on board.

We have had no problem in the past taking soft drink on. We got off the ship at opt, went to the shop & hopped back on the ship. They could see it was a 12 pack of Pepsi nothing else.:)

We have had no problem in the past taking soft drink on. We got off the ship at opt, went to the shop & hopped back on the ship. They could see it was a 12 pack of Pepsi nothing else.:)

That's reassuring - did you carry it on or placed in checked baggage?

This is on the FAQ pages of RCL website:

< Back to Food & Drink

s.gif

Food & Drink

Q: Can I bring alcohol or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) on board?s.gifA: Guests are not allowed to bring either alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soft drinks bottles, mouthwash, luggage, etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies (over consume, supply alcohol to people aged under 21, demonstrate irresponsible behaviour or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and/or luggage check points or at any other time) may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

Please Note: All guests must comply with TSA guidelines for transporting liquids

Maybe you were lucky or had nice security people. BTW At some embarkations you cannot come off the ship once checked in.

Just last month, I took a 12 pack on a RCI ship, here in the states, no problem, no questions. Should not be any different in your country.

On that note, I'd rather have a can than the cups for the new soda dispensers.

You can also catch the 555 bus (green bus) to go to the shop and come back....it's free and running all the time. :D

Ahh yes I forgot about that green bus! Thanks.

Although the woolworths aussiedisneyfan referred to is only a 10 min walk each way according to google maps.

Just last month, I took a 12 pack on a RCI ship, here in the states, no problem, no questions. Should not be any different in your country.

On that note, I'd rather have a can than the cups for the new soda dispensers.

Should be the same but unfortunately is often not...

I would not guarantee that you are going to be allowed to board with soft drink when the cruise contact seems to specifically disallow it.

Sue

Archived