Ferry Building in San Francisco

tarheelmjfan

We have a reservation at Slanted Door on a Wednesday night. Is there anything to do in that area at night? I hate to go there just for dinner. We have a 13 yo. boy & are looking for family entertainment. Also, we're staying at Fisherman's Wharf, if it makes a difference. TIA :)

We have a reservation at Slanted Door on a Wednesday night. Is there anything to do in that area at night? I hate to go there just for dinner. We have a 13 yo. boy & are looking for family entertainment. Also, we're staying at Fisherman's Wharf, if it makes a difference. TIA :)
Hi tarheelmjfan -

[i just answered your post on the Alcatraz Night Tour.]

The Ferry Building is a pleasant walk back to Pier 39, north on the Embarcadero (1/2 hour fast, 45 to 1 hour stroll) -- especially if it's a relatively warm night.

If the Giants are playing a home game and if any of you are baseball fans, I highly recommend you walk the other direction on the Embarcadero (south) to SBC Park, about 7 blocks. This is even if you don't have tickets, even if you're not going to watch the game -- it's a beautiful facility, and standing-room-only outside of the gate [just behind right field where Barry Bonds hits his famous splash shots] is FREE. In fact, SBC Park is the place that people are going even if they're not baseball fans; it's a truly class act.

(Of course if it's at night you'll be eating first. If there's a day game you can make a day of it and walk to the Slanted Door afterwards.)

Either direction on the Embarcadero, you can take easy public transit.

Between the Ferry Building and Fisherman's Wharf is the historic Market Street trolleys (streetcars, not the same as the cable cars).

From the Ferry Building to SBC Park there's the Metro (Light Rail Vehicle) -- but I prefer walking that distance.

Both the Metro and Trolleys are on the same price structure, and you can transfer free between these (or any MUNI [Municipal Railway] bus.)

Another option after dinner is to walk across the Embarcadero to the start of Market Street (where the Hyatt Regency is). Walk 1 block on Market to Drumm (where the vehicle exit of the Hyatt is) to the California Street Cable Car Line. You can catch the Cable Car here to Powell Street, and transfer to a Cable Car headed to Fisherman's Wharf. Two blocks before Powell is Grant Avenue, where lots of people get off to walk around Chinatown. Then they walk up to Powell to catch the cable car or they continue walking north on Grant to North Beach to check out the Italian neighborhood and cafe scene (then make a left on Columbus to walk to Fisherman's Wharf.)

Wow, what a great reply. :D I'm copying it now to take with me. The transportation info. will really come in handy. Thanks :)

You're welcome! Two more things that should be helpful as far as public transit:

If you take the San Francisco city transit, MUNI/Municipal Railway (buses, light rail, streetcars):

Just remember to take a transfer (and try to remember where you put it [grin]) because it's proof of payment. Plus, the free transfer is good for at least 90 minutes -- which can pretty much get you anywhere in the city within 2 or 3 blocks. [Even to the top of Twin Peaks for the view!]

Here's the central website for all public transit in the Bay Area, just in case you want more info for maps and schedules, etc. The site not only include (a) MUNI (which includes the Cable Cars), but also (b) BART (if you're thinking of taking the subway to/from the airport, or especially if you're thinking of visiting Berkeley [perhaps to visit Alice Waters' Chez Panisse* or the Chez Panisse cafe? walking distance from the Berkeley station], as well as © any of the Ferry lines from SF:

* I thought of Chez Panisse, because I figured you're already into food because you're going to the Slanted Door :) icon14.gif.

Archived