First Time Cruiser....Balcony with children!

Diskodiva

Hi, this is my first cruise onboard Ventura on 7th December (N229A). We are a couple getting married & we have 2 of our children sharing our cabin so have opted for a superior deluxe cabin for the extra space. My concern is the balcony & my youngest child who is almost 3yrs old.

My partner smokes so will be using the balcony to have the odd cigarette, and if my youngster is in the cabin at the time, rather than the kids club, he'll most likely follow my partner out there. Also, at night, we'd planned on the 2 children top/tailing in the sofa/bed which is right next to the balcony door, which ive heard, doesnt have a lock! Would it be more safer to give the children the double bed & we sleep on the sofa bed, so they cant get past without waking us?

Will it also be more safer to remove all furniture from the balcony, so they cant climb? Also, I've heard P&O supply some kind of safety net if requested, how does this work? I know, its common sense, but it's just a bit of reasurance i'm after, and if anyone has been in a similar situation, it would be great to read your experiences. Hopefully, I'm just getting over-worried about nothing, but it's because I've never cruised before!!!!

Hi, this is my first cruise onboard Ventura on 7th December (N229A). We are a couple getting married & we have 2 of our children sharing our cabin so have opted for a superior deluxe cabin for the extra space. My concern is the balcony & my youngest child who is almost 3yrs old.

My partner smokes so will be using the balcony to have the odd cigarette, and if my youngster is in the cabin at the time, rather than the kids club, he'll most likely follow my partner out there. Also, at night, we'd planned on the 2 children top/tailing in the sofa/bed which is right next to the balcony door, which ive heard, doesnt have a lock! Would it be more safer to give the children the double bed & we sleep on the sofa bed, so they cant get past without waking us?

Will it also be more safer to remove all furniture from the balcony, so they cant climb? Also, I've heard P&O supply some kind of safety net if requested, how does this work? I know, its common sense, but it's just a bit of reasurance i'm after, and if anyone has been in a similar situation, it would be great to read your experiences. Hopefully, I'm just getting over-worried about nothing, but it's because I've never cruised before!!!!

Hi - we have always had a balcony since our first cruise with our daughter who at the time was aged 2 (she is now 6). Your children will be fine on the sofa bed - whilst there isn't a proper lock on the patio door there is a small sliding bolt right at the top of the door. There is no way a small child could reach or open it. Also the doors are quite heavy and it would be difficult for a small child to open anyway! With regards to the balcony - what we do is push all the furniture back away from the balcony so there is nothing for them to climb on. As long as they are with someone then it isn't really an issue - the rail is very high and the balcony made of glass and there is nothing really apart from the furniture that they could climb on. I've never heard of a safety net so I can't comment on that.

I also always explain to my daughter about the dangers of balcony and what could happen and she ( touch wood) has never tried to climb.

Anyway hope this helps you to chill out a bit. You and your kids will have a great time - we think Ventura is the best ship for kids in the P and O fleet - the kids clubs are amazing.

Enjoy

Sue

It won't be an issue. Small children can't open the doors as they are pulled into the frame like an aircraft door to ensure the aircon works effectively. Once the sofa bed is in place this blocks access to the door too.

You won't let children on the balcony alone as you will be concious of the issue.

The 'net' is actually a bed guard and is designed for the pullman berths.

You may also be fortunate and have in effect a 5 berth cabin. Our superior deluxe cabin also had a pullman berth. If this is the case the children wouldn't have to share as the eldest could use the pullman.

On Ventura the balcony doors have a small bolt at the top corner which can be used to lock the door in a closed postion. Being at the top of the door it will not be accesible to a small child who, indeed, may not even know what it is or notice you using it.

Archived