San Jaun Airport

ptite

The Valor arrive at 7:AM and the flight leaves at 9:45AM. Do I have enough time to make the flight?:)

The San Juan Airport is crazy on Sundays. I would not recommend a flight before 1:00 PM. The security lines are very long as well as an Agricultural Inspection before checking into your airline.

We just got off the Victory in Puerto Rico Sunday and our flight left at 1135. We were in a taxi by 0730, and were at the airport and checked in by 0830. I think you will be fine as long as you use self debarkation (obviously we did), but it also has a lot to do with how fast Customs clears the ship.

I've said this somewhere previously.... but here is our experience....

Companions of ours flew out flew out right after disembarking the Victory in April 2011. They arrived at the airport almost 4 hours early, and still nearly missed their flight. They said it was absolute chaos, and the only thing that saved them was hiring a porter to handle their bags, etc. - he knew exactly where to go & some tricks to move them along as quickly as possible. I think there were 3 ships in that day, and from everything I heard the airport experience was horrendous.

A lot of people are not familiar with the agricultural inspection at SJU, so they would wait in line to check in with their airline – only to be turned around if they didn’t have the proper stickers on their bags…

Luckily, hubby and I had decided to spend a few extra days in San Juan so we didn’t fly out until Tuesday. By then we had talked to our friends and sort of knew what to expect, so we arrived extra early and got through the agricultural inspection okay. Even so, the process was S-L-O-W. It was easily the slowest security line I’ve ever gone through. Absolutely the slowest - by far. And no one seemed to be the slightest bit concerned that the lines were backing up.... people were getting upset.... There were 2 employees working the pre-screening before security (where they look at your passport, etc.), and between every few passengers they would stop to chat a bit before motioning for the next people in line.... I actually said to hubby that unless some airport improvements were made, I would probably never cruise out of San Juan again.

I haven’t researched it lately but I understand there haven't been alot of improvements to the process, and the AG inspection is still required. From my personal experience, if I were to ever cruise from San Juan (and I might.... time has a way of softening things.... ;) ) - I wouldn't even consider flying out the same day as disembarking.

Some people have posted that they've had a perfectly fine experience at SJU, but that certainly wasn’t the case for us or our friends.

The Valor arrive at 7:AM and the flight leaves at 9:45AM. Do I have enough time to make the flight?:)
The answer to this question will always be a resounding "maybe".

Why does no one ever ask it before booking their flights? :rolleyes:

I'm from Puerto Rico. My reply to your question is that a 9:45am flight is absolutely CRAZY! I would NEVER, EVER, EVER book a flight that early out of San Juan. Chances are against you. Yes there are some people that may have been lucky (like the person who posted their experience above), but things normally don't flow efficiently in San Juan (you're still in "island" time down here). Customs, traffic, USDA checkpoint, airline check in, security checkpoint from hell...

If you already purchased your flight, have a backup plan in the very likely case that you miss your flight. Chances are that the afternoon flights will be completely sold out on a Sunday afternoon and you may find yourself stuck without a backup...

We just got off the Victory in Puerto Rico Sunday and our flight left at 1135. We were in a taxi by 0730, and were at the airport and checked in by 0830. I think you will be fine as long as you use self debarkation (obviously we did), but it also has a lot to do with how fast Customs clears the ship.

We made this same 11:35 a.m. flight on Sept. 30 (with Zone 2 tags) but it took us over an hour to get through Customs at the terminal (not chaotic, just very, very slow). We weren't in a cab much before 9:00 a.m. and although the airport didn't take us too long (Agricultural screen, check in and security) we didn't have much time to spare. And, BIG and, this was in low season when only one ship disembarked that day. They say this gets much, much more hectic in the winter when there are several ships in at one time. I wouldn't try for 9:45 a.m. at all.

I posted this elsewhere, but it bears repeating...

Let's say you are able to get off the boat right away, 7:15

you still have to go through port customs

find your ride

wrangle luggage

get to the airport

wrangle luggage again

go through ag inspection at the airport - which has universally been stated is SLOW by cc members

wrangle luggage again

check in at the airport

go through security

get to your plane

....120 minutes doesn't seem like enough time for all of that... :eek:

My flight isn't until 12:35. I assume we'll be fine. We are using some points that we have been saving to upgrade to first class. Are there shorter lines for first class like in most airports?

Perhaps for checking in with your airline, but there are no separate lines at the agricultural inspection or at security.

....120 minutes doesn't seem like enough time for all of that... :eek:

Although a 9:45am is absolutely insane, there ARE some ways to breeze through the SJU airport, BUT they require a certain level of familiarization and previous experience to get accomplished.

As I previously mentioned, I am from Puerto Rico, so needless to say, I fly through the San Juan airport very often. Some things that will expedite the check in process include:

• Get a porter! Yes, they cost a few extra bucks, but they are money well spent! They will grab your bags from the moment you step out of your taxi/bus/shuttle, take them through the USDA checkpoint, and then take them to the airlne check-in counter. No need to "wrangle" bags (NOTE: a generous tip in advance will also ensure that the porter talks to his buddy at the ticket counter so that you can bypass the line and go straight to the front! Believe me, THIS WORKS! :D)

• If you can avoid checking luggage, that will mean bypassing the USDA checkpoint and the ticket counter altogether! This is one airport where it does pay to pack lightly.

• All the concourses are interconnected, so if the designated checkpoint for your airline is backed up, walk to the next security checkpoint! This is one of the best kept secrets in San Juan! Usually one checkpoint will be completely gridlocked while the next one over is so dead that the TSA agents are falling asleep.

• If you're still planning on checking bags: The night before the ship returns to San Juan, suck it up, pay for the internet connection, check-in for your flight online and pay for your bags. This will save you precious time the following day.

• If you have a late flight, get a day room at the Best Western Hotel located inside the airport. No shuttles required, you literally walk a few steps to the hotel. Having a day room is MUCH more relaxing than spending countless hours inside the gate area with the other couple thousand passengers waiting for their late flight departure.

Hope this information is helpful, not only for the OP, but also for everyone flying through San Juan! :)

Does everyone have go through the AG line?
All the luggage has to go through. It has been suggested that you leave someone standing in the airline check-in line while someone else goes through the ag inspection with the bags. I'd be afraid of getting growled at for line-jumping, though.

We had to put our carry-on bags through the ag screening as well, so avoiding checked luggage would not have helped.

Does everyone have go through the AG line?

Contrary to some erroneous reports, ONLY people with CHECKED luggage need to go to the USDA point. If you ONLY have carry-on luggage, you do NOT need to go to the USDA checkpoint.

Once again, I fly through San Juan very often. NO need to put your carry ons through the USDA checkpoint.

Some people may have erroneously been asked to put carry-ons on the USDA belt, but believe me, if you get to the security checkpoint without the USDA sticker, they won't stop you.

Contrary to some erroneous reports, ONLY people with CHECKED luggage need to go to the USDA point. If you ONLY have carry-on luggage, you do NOT need to go to the USDA checkpoint.

From everything I've read, I believe you are correct - however, the day we flew out of San Juan in April 2011 they insisted everything go through the scanner & get a sticker - - even my purse. I do understand this isn't the norm, but it seems like you just never know what to expect....

I also agree with you regarding hiring a porter - as I said above, that's what saved our friends from missing their flight.

the day we flew out of San Juan in April 2011 they insisted everything go through the scanner & get a sticker - - even my purse. I do understand this isn't the norm, but it seems like you just never know what to expect....

I think it's like TSA regulations- they tend to vary by who is enforcing them on any given day.

Although a 9:45am is absolutely insane, there ARE some ways to breeze through the SJU airport, BUT they require a certain level of familiarization and previous experience to get accomplished.

As I previously mentioned, I am from Puerto Rico, so needless to say, I fly through the San Juan airport very often. Some things that will expedite the check in process include:

• Get a porter! Yes, they cost a few extra bucks, but they are money well spent! They will grab your bags from the moment you step out of your taxi/bus/shuttle, take them through the USDA checkpoint, and then take them to the airlne check-in counter. No need to "wrangle" bags (NOTE: a generous tip in advance will also ensure that the porter talks to his buddy at the ticket counter so that you can bypass the line and go straight to the front! Believe me, THIS WORKS! :D)

• If you can avoid checking luggage, that will mean bypassing the USDA checkpoint and the ticket counter altogether! This is one airport where it does pay to pack lightly.

• All the concourses are interconnected, so if the designated checkpoint for your airline is backed up, walk to the next security checkpoint! This is one of the best kept secrets in San Juan! Usually one checkpoint will be completely gridlocked while the next one over is so dead that the TSA agents are falling asleep.

• If you're still planning on checking bags: The night before the ship returns to San Juan, suck it up, pay for the internet connection, check-in for your flight online and pay for your bags. This will save you precious time the following day.

• If you have a late flight, get a day room at the Best Western Hotel located inside the airport. No shuttles required, you literally walk a few steps to the hotel. Having a day room is MUCH more relaxing than spending countless hours inside the gate area with the other couple thousand passengers waiting for their late flight departure.

Hope this information is helpful, not only for the OP, but also for everyone flying through San Juan! :)

Excellent advice. I'm taking notes!

Archived