Price drops after final payment-but before final payment due date

simon stingray

I understand that if there is a price drop BEFORE final payment then a call to X will get our price adjusted without any problem (I have already done this before on 2 previous cruises).

But for our next cruise, the final payment date is the beginning of February as we sail at the end of March. I was thinking of paying the balance now so I can forget about it and concentrate on shore excursions and beverage packages.

So my question is what if there is a price drop after I have paid in full?

Does "before final payment" refer to the final payment due date or before I have actually paid the outstanding balance?

If there is a price drop after I have paid in full but before final payment due date would X refund me the difference/give us onboard credit or would they say sorry, too late as you have already made your final payment:(

I might be wrong but I believe the final payment referred to would be the date the actual final payment is due not the date you paid in full. That way if there are any more adjustments before that final payment date, you would get an adjustment in the form of a credit to the original form of payment or OBC. After the final payment date, you can get an upgrade if a higher category price drops to lower than what you paid for your category. Last year I was booked in a concierge class cabin. After final payment the Sky Suite price fell where I would only have to pay $100. It was a guarantee but the only cabin available was a SS1, and it was one of the best SS1's on the ship. I grabbed the guarantee and got the great cabin. Saved hundreds of dollars I would have had to pay if I had booked that cabin directly. Only bad part of that story is now I am hooked on Sky Suites and paid more up front this year. :D:D

I understand that if there is a price drop BEFORE final payment then a call to X will get our price adjusted without any problem (I have already done this before on 2 previous cruises).

But for our next cruise, the final payment date is the beginning of February as we sail at the end of March. I was thinking of paying the balance now so I can forget about it and concentrate on shore excursions and beverage packages.

So my question is what if there is a price drop after I have paid in full?

Does "before final payment" refer to the final payment due date or before I have actually paid the outstanding balance?

If there is a price drop after I have paid in full but before final payment due date would X refund me the difference/give us onboard credit or would they say sorry, too late as you have already made your final payment:(

I had this happen to me in July. I had made final payment to my travel agent (who asks for it earlier than Celebrity's final date) and then another Residency discount came up on the cabin I had booked.

Thought, heck, what did I have to lose, so I contacted my TA and asked even though I had made final payment to them, could I still get the discount because final wasn't due to Celebrity, and sure enough the discount got put back to my credit card.

Susan :)

Simon I'm not sure Susan's answer applies because her TA may not have processed the payment to Celebrity so she was still eligible for the break.

You may want to ask this ? of Celebrity.

Actually, I just went back to my emails and my credit card statements, and my statement still stands true.

This is how it played out. My TA had a due date of 7/19, where Celebrity's would of been 7/23. I gave permission to my TA on 7/13 to process the payment. The charge on my card from Celebrity (my charges for the cruises through my TA always comes through from the cruise lines) processed on 7/16.

I found the discount and called and left a voice message with my TA on Saturday, 7/21. I had a corrected invoice from my TA with the additional residential discount on it on 7/22 and Celebrity gave me the credit back to my card on 7/26.

So, yes, I had made final payment to Celebrity before their due date and was able to get a residency discount after I made that final payment because the final Celebrity due date had not passed.

Susan :)

If Celebrity works like RCI, then it's the DUE DATE that matters. We had made our final payment early last year about this time on the 1st of 2 B2B's, then found out through our Roll Call that there had been a substantial price drop on our cabin category. Even though it was Thanksgiving weekend, we managed to locate our TA and one phone call got us a huge refund. Hope it works out well for you!

To the OP, take a lot of what is posted here with a grain of salt. U.S. bookings have different rules than in the UK, so what happened to someone from California might not apply.

But, the bigger question is this: Why bother paying ahead of time? I get the "I just want it to be done" mentality. But in the end, it makes no sense. Just put the money in a checking or savings account and pay it closer to the due date. Piece of mind is one thing, but unnecessarily forking over a large sum of money well in advance, well that's just poor money management.

Archived