Celebrity Reflection - Nov 1, 2013

Schplinky

Randy, YES! The roll call has it's own website, with all sorts of good info, from pax photos to ride sharing to maps of the ports to on board activities. I post interactive deck plans that shows everyone's cabins. It's a good resource. You are on the deck plans now, but it won't be posted online until Wednesday. Two more cabin changes came in this morning. The main roll call is approaching 5000 posts!

okay... sorry to be so dumb, but guess I should have been more specific...are you talking about the general roll call here on cruise critic that's titled Celebrity Reflection November 1, 2013 TransAtlantic, or a totally separate website, and if so, what's the address of the website?

okay... sorry to be so dumb, but guess I should have been more specific...are you talking about the general roll call here on cruise critic that's titled Celebrity Reflection November 1, 2013 TransAtlantic, or a totally separate website, and if so, what's the address of the website?

You're not dumb; it's a totally separate website where we can mention sites we can't on CC and have lots of info, photos, email addresses, links to ports, etc. We try to mention it frequently, but I guess you missed it (easy to do when you have to try to wade through thousands of posts). Sorry I didn't make that clearer. Here you go: http://cruises4us.webs.com/

Hi Craig...Randy here. Walter mentioned you are traveling solo, as am I.

I was wondering if you have arranged for your transfer from Rome to the Ship...I have yet to arrange mine and thought it might be appropriate to ask if you were interested in sharing a private transfer (I know a very good service in Rome)...

Please let me know if you are interested..

Thanks!

Randy :D

Hi Randy,

I'm staying near the Coliseum metro stop and since I travel very lightly am planning on taking the train. It's only about five Euros for a regional and about ten Euros for an Intercity plus the opportunity to hang with the locals for a bit! I've heard the stories about pickpockets on the train but so far have managed to evade them. I'll be doing the reverse journey the previous week from the port when my Jade cruise arrives so hope to have it ironed out. If you're interested or able to train it, let me know.

Craig

I'm getting seriously excited about this trip!

Enquiring minds want to know—are you packed yet? :D Just talked to our house sitter and confirmed. Have confirmed our rides to and from SAN (you learn who your real friends are when you ask for a 4:00 am ride to the airport!) and have all but last minute essentials packed. Just received a text from the owner of our rental apartment in Rome; she'll be waiting for us at 10:00 am on the 26th. Want to ask if I'm excited?

Enquiring minds want to know—are you packed yet? :D Just talked to our house sitter and confirmed. Have confirmed our rides to and from SAN (you learn who your real friends are when you ask for a 4:00 am ride to the airport!) and have all but last minute essentials packed. Just received a text from the owner of our rental apartment in Rome; she'll be waiting for us at 10:00 am on the 26th. Want to ask if I'm excited?

I used to be an early packer but then I found myself ransacking my own luggage the days before the trip! :eek: We put card tables out a week or two before and start throwing stuff onto them before we actually pack. It works rather well.

We had one of those "dark o'clock" flights where we had to be to the airport at 5 in the morning last year. I don't trust cabs to come in the middle of the night so we rented a car the night before at the airport before through Priceline or hotwire for something like $15. It was a great plan because our drive to the airport was on our terms and it was actually about half what a cab would be. Whenever we have had a cab, they tend to arrive 20 minutes early and are honking their horns in the driveway in the middle of the night. Ottawa airport is small enough (maybe 30 gates?) so there is not a lot of schlepping from the car rental return to check in.

This time, we leave in the evening but have yet to make plans to get to the airport. We're leaving our car with a friend who will come and visit our house occasionally so the place doesn't look too abandoned.

I used to be an early packer but then I found myself ransacking my own luggage the days before the trip! :eek: We put card tables out a week or two before and start throwing stuff onto them before we actually pack. It works rather well.

We had one of those "dark o'clock" flights where we had to be to the airport at 5 in the morning last year. I don't trust cabs to come in the middle of the night so we rented a car the night before at the airport before through Priceline or hotwire for something like $15. It was a great plan because our drive to the airport was on our terms and it was actually about half what a cab would be. Whenever we have had a cab, they tend to arrive 20 minutes early and are honking their horns in the driveway in the middle of the night. Ottawa airport is small enough (maybe 30 gates?) so there is not a lot of schlepping from the car rental return to check in.

This time, we leave in the evening but have yet to make plans to get to the airport. We're leaving our car with a friend who will come and visit our house occasionally so the place doesn't look too abandoned.

You and Mike had other things on your mind (like a wedding!), so you can be excused for not being ready to leave right now. I had to nag Bob to get out the clothes he wanted to take, but I made up for that by laundering and ironing his clothes for him.

I was planning to use a car service to get to the airport, as they are much cheaper than cabs and even less than an airport shuttle, but a friend volunteered to drive us at our wedding. Bob asked if she was serious and she answered in the affirmative. I had never thought to rent a car—good tip!

We had to get a house sitter because of the cats. We'll also have the neighbors watching the house. The worst part of traveling for me is leaving the fur babies; I always feel guilty. One friend told me she misses their dog more than her children when she travels.

The worst part of traveling for me is leaving the fur babies; I always feel guilty. One friend told me she misses their dog more than her children when she travels.

That reminds me of something said after our wedding. We had a friend do a reading and she liked it so much she read to a friend over the phone. The friend said "that is so wonderful! I wish I felt that way about MY husband." Ouch.

That reminds me of something said after our wedding. We had a friend do a reading and she liked it so much she read to a friend over the phone. The friend said "that is so wonderful! I wish I felt that way about MY husband." Ouch.

Sad, but true, for way too many people.

Hi Randy,

I'm staying near the Coliseum metro stop and since I travel very lightly am planning on taking the train. It's only about five Euros for a regional and about ten Euros for an Intercity plus the opportunity to hang with the locals for a bit! I've heard the stories about pickpockets on the train but so far have managed to evade them. I'll be doing the reverse journey the previous week from the port when my Jade cruise arrives so hope to have it ironed out. If you're interested or able to train it, let me know.

Craig

Hi Craig...thanks for the response. Unfortunately I tend NOT to travel very lightly...one would think I would have learned how to by now as I have traveled very extensively, but somehow I always drag around way too much. And I've been told that luggage on that particular train is a problem if you have more than a minimal amount, so I plan on doing a private transfer. I was on this year's April/May Reflection Eastbound TA disembarking in Civitavecchia and joined a group that used Bob's Limos out of Rome which was excellent. I just learned of Paul and Bart's excellent separate website, so will post a notice there and see if anyone is interested in sharing, otherwise I'll just get a transfer for myself only.

Randy

Hi Craig...thanks for the response. Unfortunately I tend NOT to travel very lightly...one would think I would have learned how to by now as I have traveled very extensively, but somehow I always drag around way too much. And I've been told that luggage on that particular train is a problem if you have more than a minimal amount, so I plan on doing a private transfer. I was on this year's April/May Reflection Eastbound TA disembarking in Civitavecchia and joined a group that used Bob's Limos out of Rome which was excellent. I just learned of Paul and Bart's excellent separate website, so will post a notice there and see if anyone is interested in sharing, otherwise I'll just get a transfer for myself only.

Randy

Randy, have you picked a car service yet. I researched them all and know which recommended service has the best rate for solo travelers.

Randy, have you picked a car service yet. I researched them all and know which recommended service has the best rate for solo travelers.

Hey Bart... no, haven't made the reservation yet...was planning to use Bob's Limos because had a good experience with them in May, but am certainly open to suggestions...which one is best for us solos??

Thanks

Randy

Hey Bart... no, haven't made the reservation yet...was planning to use Bob's Limos because had a good experience with them in May, but am certainly open to suggestions...which one is best for us solos??

Thanks

Randy

Randy, it's Bob's Limos! Of the three highest-reviewed car services, we're using two: Rome Shuttle Limousine, which has a shuttle to and from FCO for 25 euro for the first person and 6 euro for each additional pax, door to door. Going from Rome to Civitavecchia, we're using RomeCabs, which is picking each of the four couples at their Rome addresses for hardly any additional money. Bob's Limo was quite a bit cheaper than the other two for a single traveler going to Civitavecchia. Divawright on the main roll call is looking to share a ride (they are a couple, but all the services charge the same amount for 1 to 3 pax).

Sorry I had'nt responded earlier about my E-Docs, but I have been in Vancouver all week and really busy with work.

Finally, the E-Documents arrived today in my email! Hard to believe it took so long, but at least we have them and I ordered the luggage tags online. Should be plenty of time to get them before we depart for Rome.

We actually started to "talk" about packing this past weekend, but havent done anything yet. Maybe thats a good project for next weekend!

Now I am sitting at an airport waiting to board for Lexington KY......Cant wait for my "Fun" Flight and a couple weeks off on vaca......

When I get home next weekend I will put together a list of people that have said they would participate in the trip to Carambola and publish it hear, along with info on finding out more about it...in case others want to join or if someone has changed their mind. I hear from Liz that we are maximum capacity with 14 on the bus she has planned, but that she can easily change the bus to something larger if we need it.

See everyone soon!

Sorry I had'nt responded earlier about my E-Docs, but I have been in Vancouver all week and really busy with work.

Finally, the E-Documents arrived today in my email! Hard to believe it took so long, but at least we have them and I ordered the luggage tags online. Should be plenty of time to get them before we depart for Rome.

We actually started to "talk" about packing this past weekend, but havent done anything yet. Maybe thats a good project for next weekend!

Now I am sitting at an airport waiting to board for Lexington KY......Cant wait for my "Fun" Flight and a couple weeks off on vaca......

When I get home next weekend I will put together a list of people that have said they would participate in the trip to Carambola and publish it hear, along with info on finding out more about it...in case others want to join or if someone has changed their mind. I hear from Liz that we are maximum capacity with 14 on the bus she has planned, but that she can easily change the bus to something larger if we need it.

See everyone soon!

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to keep us posted, Ted. I know that we all really appreciate it. We're taking less luggage in smaller bags this trip, so I figured I had better do a practice packing run. The luggage tags take about five days, so you should be good to go. We'll see you on the ship, if not in Rome!

Thanks

Randy

Randy, someone else posted about ride sharing to the port:

Ride-share to port

A quick rideshare post: We have room for 1 or 2 people as follows:

From: Rome Marriott Gran Flora Hotel (a central rome location)

To: Civi Port -Celebrity Reflection

Date: Nov 1, 2013 (leaving from lobby at 10:00 am)

Cost: Split among 3 to 6 people

Contact Hope at tennisdog@bellsouth.net

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to keep us posted, Ted. I know that we all really appreciate it. We're taking less luggage in smaller bags this trip, so I figured I had better do a practice packing run. The luggage tags take about five days, so you should be good to go. We'll see you on the ship, if not in Rome!

I used to be somebody who would pack long before a trip but I haven't done that in a number of trips. We have no talent for packing light so there's no need for practice here! LOL.

I used to be somebody who would pack long before a trip but I haven't done that in a number of trips. We have no talent for packing light so there's no need for practice here! LOL.

I'm really proud of myself. I got all of Bob's things into one 25" bag weighing 40 lbs. I've got one 25" bag weighing 45 lbs (it's my shoes!) and one 21" bag weighing 34 lbs. All our electronics, meds and other valuables will go into our backpacks. Since we're allowed two free bags weighing 70 lbs apiece, I think we're traveling really light. Guess we just won't have as many wardrobe changes as all you fashion plates. ;)

Randy, someone else posted about ride sharing to the port:

Ride-share to port

A quick rideshare post: We have room for 1 or 2 people as follows:

From: Rome Marriott Gran Flora Hotel (a central rome location)

To: Civi Port -Celebrity Reflection

Date: Nov 1, 2013 (leaving from lobby at 10:00 am)

Cost: Split among 3 to 6 people

Contact Hope at tennisdog@bellsouth.net

Thanks Bart, but I checked and that hotel is about 7.5 km from my hotel, involves toll roads, and frankly I don't want to leave quite that early... I'm not one of those that loves to get on the boat before the cabins are ready...lol

I did post a message on the main cc board to the other party you mentioned to me...I'll see if they respond. If all else fails I'll just do a private transfer for myself only...already booked a private solo from FCO to my hotel with Bob's Limos ...figured after ferry to the mainland, driving up to SeaTac airport, flying to Frankfurt (at least it's business class with a flat bed) then the glorious Lufthansa intra-continental business class with a 30" pitch!!! (can you believe that? Their business seating on the continent is the same 3x3 30" pitch as economy but they just don't fill the middle seats! But they DO give you a hot meal, even on short hops, as if that could make up for cattle car business class) to Rome (2 hrs 10 min I think...and I am 6'6" tall 220 lbs) so by the time I finally arrive at FCO I may be rather cranky.... so I just decided to pony up for a private car for just me, so won't have to deal with rendezvous nor intermediate stops...

Thanks Bart, but I checked and that hotel is about 7.5 km from my hotel, involves toll roads, and frankly I don't want to leave quite that early... I'm not one of those that loves to get on the boat before the cabins are ready...lol

I did post a message on the main cc board to the other party you mentioned to me...I'll see if they respond. If all else fails I'll just do a private transfer for myself only...already booked a private solo from FCO to my hotel with Bob's Limos ...figured after ferry to the mainland, driving up to SeaTac airport, flying to Frankfurt (at least it's business class with a flat bed) then the glorious Lufthansa intra-continental business class with a 30" pitch!!! (can you believe that? Their business seating on the continent is the same 3x3 30" pitch as economy but they just don't fill the middle seats! But they DO give you a hot meal, even on short hops, as if that could make up for cattle car business class) to Rome (2 hrs 10 min I think...and I am 6'6" tall 220 lbs) so by the time I finally arrive at FCO I may be rather cranky.... so I just decided to pony up for a private car for just me, so won't have to deal with rendezvous nor intermediate stops...

I wish I was able to travel like that! :-P

I noticed a few more people that have recently signed up for the cruise on the main thread and have advertised either sharing a ride from Rome to the port on embarkation day or they are looking for a few more travelers to fill a van that is already booked from central Rome to the port. I hope one of those offers will work for you so you don't have such a large expense to get to the port on your own. That money would be better spent to cover the cost of many cocktails or glasses of champagne while on board the ship. :-D

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE network using Tapatalk 4 Pro

Edited by vulcan1971

I noticed a few more people that have recently signed up for the cruise on the main thread and have advertised either sharing a ride from Rome to the port on embarkation day or they are looking for a few more travelers to fill a van that is already booked from central Rome to the port. I hope one of those offers will work for you so you don't have such a large expense to get to the port on your own. That money would be better spent to cover the cost of many cocktails or glasses of champagne while on board the ship. :-D

Hey don't be jealous of me! I'm jealous of your AQ Suite!!! I'm in a lowly CC1. Hope you let me see it! I've done suites but never AQ. And it's hard to justify that kind of accommodation when I always travel solo... :D

Hey don't be jealous of me! I'm jealous of your AQ Suite!!! I'm in a lowly CC1. Hope you let me see it! I've done suites but never AQ. And it's hard to justify that kind of accommodation when I always travel solo... :D

Randy -

This trip is a bit of a splurge for us for reasons yet to be mentioned. Iain and I usually have one large trip per year and several other long weekends together plus family holidays that are split. We have done every type of cruise accommodation ranging from an inside room on our Celebrity Millennium 11 day Caribbean cruise to a 2 bedroom garden villa in the Haven of the Norwegian Pearl. We've stayed in Concierge Class on the Millennium as well; those type of rooms are quite nice. As I have long said... I live to cruise, but I work to pay for it. :-D

You are certainly welcome to see our room as it will be on the cabin crawl for which I believe you said you are attending.

Randy, I didn't realize Lufthansa's seat pitch was so tight. I don't notice so much as I'm 5'8" and 150 lbs, but it still can be uncomfortable. The most uncomfortable seats we've ever had were on a brand new Continental 777-200, IAH to CDG. The leg room was OK and there was no one in the middle seat, but no matter how we contorted our bodies, those seats were painful. A seat on a bus would have been more comfortable. Oh for the good old days, when planes were half full, and you could get a row all to yourself, lift the armrests and stretch out! Good luck on the ride!

You are so right, Walter!

Randy, I didn't realize Lufthansa's seat pitch was so tight. I don't notice so much as I'm 5'8" and 150 lbs, but it still can be uncomfortable. The most uncomfortable seats we've ever had were on a brand new Continental 777-200, IAH to CDG. The leg room was OK and there was no one in the middle seat, but no matter how we contorted our bodies, those seats were painful. A seat on a bus would have been more comfortable. Oh for the good old days, when planes were half full, and you could get a row all to yourself, lift the armrests and stretch out! Good luck on the ride!

Yeah, I have never flown Lufthansa before, but have usually heard good things about them. But when I booked this trip I never DREAMED that the Business Class intra Europe segment would be a 30 inch pitch! Sheesh, even Southwest usually has 31"! And business class 3x3 in a narrow body plane!! UNEFFING BELIEVABLE!! I wept when I checked seat guru after I was already ticketed. (the seat selection diagram on the LH site does not show the center seat that they don't fill so it looks like 2x2) I guess since they leave the 3X3 center seats open in Business I can kinda stretch out into the middle seat's leg space. But after the flight I do plan to express my displeasure to LH if all comes to pass as the internet says. For that to be a business class product is a disgrace. (and there's no 1st on intra-europe) Now on the long haul nonstop from Seattle to Frankfurt I'll have a 6''4" flat bed (actually I got the one seat in business that has even more inches on top of that 6'4, thanks to a tip from a frequent LH traveler.)

When I go to Europe I usually take the wonderful high speed trains intra-europe rather than fly. Live and learn!

Edited by AndersonIslander