May miss the ship - hotel reco's in Cozumel?

papayagirl

Ugh … this has been a very rough week. We're in NJ, still without power, and we're supposed to be flying out of Laguardia in NY super-early Saturday morning (Nov 3) to catch the Liberty in Miami that afternoon. But Laguardia is still partially flooded, and I'm not confident that our flight will actually take off. I’m calling Delta daily, but they can’t tell me much. I’ve already tried switching to a Friday flight or a different Saturday flight out of another airport and everything is booked up.

If we can’t get to Miami in time, the only other option for us may be to change our flight so we go directly to Cozumel and catch up with the ship on Monday morning. If this happens, I need to find a hotel in Cozumel for Sat/Sun night, preferably near the port. (Carnival said there are two and doesn’t know which one they’ll come into.) Does anyone have any recommendations? I’m guessing I should post this in the Ports of Call section as well. There are many options on TripAdvisor, but my head is spinning with everything else going on.

If it helps, we’ll be with a 5 & 8 year-old, and we’re supposed to spend Monday with the dolphins at Chankanaab.

Thanks in advance!!

can you drive to the Miami? or at least maybe an airport a few hours away?

You could try this second option. I've heard of travelers driving from NYC to Pittsburgh and catching flights. Might be a bit long (22+ hours?), but cheaper if you could drive all the way to Miami. But you'll need to check road conditions on I-95 south to at least VA /NC border.

If you do decide to catch the ship in Cozumel, first, be sure to call the Carnival 800 number and let them know. Given your plans there are a number of places that might work for you in Coz. I suggest you try El Cid la Ceiba. They usually have good rates and the property is decent. Rigth at the south edge of downtown, but only a $7 taxi ride to the port. There are places closer to Chank though, but many of these are all-inclusive longer stay. Check Trip Advisor for rec.

If you have a car and don't need to be home tonight or tomorrow, honestly I would just start driving. We've made drives that far with the kids and will again. It's easier if you stop in a hotel overnight, but we have relatives that have driven straight through. Edited to add: I don't live on the east coast, however, so I know little about the current road conditions.

I think Carnival usually docks at Puerta Maya, and the Liberty is on the Puerta Maya schedule for Monday. I haven't been there to recommend a hotel, but I think there are many near the port or a short cab ride away.

After the week you must have had, you all really need this cruise. I will pray you find a way to make it there.

Personally I would not want to leave my house unattended at least until power is restored. If you have trip insurance you can reschedule for later.

If leaving now doesn't bother you, you could be in Miami on time if you start driving tonight.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the replies. My neighbor last night said he's driven to Miami in under 24 hours, but that was when he was much younger and drove 100+ the whole way. Not sure I could handle being trapped in a minivan for that long with two kids on a regular week, let alone now. We're all pretty much running on fumes. Plus the fact that virtually no gas stations are open because there's no power to pump gas. People are breaking into fights at the stations that have any supply, siphoning what gas they have in their cars to power generators, etc. And roads are closed everywhere in my immediate area due to flooding and downed trees. Getting all the way to Miami might not even be possible.

Our insurance will cover the full cost of our trip if the airlines can't fly us out within 24 hours of the scheduled departure time. So if LGA can get us out Sat night instead of morning, we'll miss the ship but won't be able to get our money back. That's why flying into Cozumel is looking like a possibility. (Sounds like Delta will cover one flight change like this at no charge due to the hurricane.)

Thanks for the replies. My neighbor last night said he's driven to Miami in under 24 hours, but that was when he was much younger and drove 100+ the whole way. Not sure I could handle being trapped in a minivan for that long with two kids on a regular week, let alone now. We're all pretty much running on fumes. Plus the fact that virtually no gas stations are open because there's no power to pump gas. People are breaking into fights at the stations that have any supply, siphoning what gas they have in their cars to power generators, etc. And roads are closed everywhere in my immediate area due to flooding and downed trees. Getting all the way to Miami might not even be possible.

Our insurance will cover the full cost of our trip if the airlines can't fly us out within 24 hours of the scheduled departure time. So if LGA can get us out Sat night instead of morning, we'll miss the ship but won't be able to get our money back. That's why flying into Cozumel is looking like a possibility. (Sounds like Delta will cover one flight change like this at no charge due to the hurricane.)

What about driving to Washington if you are able to get gas? It's a closer target at least-------

OP, I am so sorry and feel so badly for you, and all those impacted by that terrible storm. As some have suggested, I would see where the closest Delta flight to MIA or FLL might be from where you are, and drive to that airport to catch your flight if possible. I'll bet you can be there for your sailaway. Good luck!

Ed Cid is quite visible and probably walkable to the cruise port if you park at Puerta Maya pier, which is most likely where you will dock.....

Miami is a LONG drive in a minivan with kids! We did it from MA to Cocoa when our girls were younger..left at like 4 in the afternoon and drove straight thru.. while line fever at 3:30 in the morning was NO fun..but at least the kids slept thru the bulk of the ride. Can't say after doing it twice, I would do it again with under 10's.. least now I don't HAVE to!! :)

Good luck in your decision.. I can totally understand your desire to get the helloutta dodge after the last week...

I-95 is fine once you get out of the tri state area. If you can get enough gas to get yourself out a little way you should have clear roads and gas stations. I understand not being sure of driving with two kids though.

We do this drive all the time (well we are a bit south of you) with kids although we can finally say we only have one that is still actually a kid. Our next trip starts on the 15th we will be in Miami by late Friday afternoon. Stopping overnight is my best suggestion and knowing that you are headed to the ship and warmer weather may be the adreline surge everyone needs to survive the trip.

Hope it works out for you. We went with out power for about 18 hours but that is nothing like what you are dealing with. Good Luck!

What about getting a flight out of Philly? My parents are flying on Saturday morning from Philly for our cruise and the airport is open. Not sure if you could get a seat on those flights, but it's not too far of a drive. Also, eastern Pennsylvania is not as bad off as NJ and NY, so if you did drive, try to get into PA sooner because there's power meaning gas and the essentials. Good luck!

Ugh … this has been a very rough week. We're in NJ, still without power, and we're supposed to be flying out of Laguardia in NY super-early Saturday morning (Nov 3) to catch the Liberty in Miami that afternoon. But Laguardia is still partially flooded, and I'm not confident that our flight will actually take off. I’m calling Delta daily, but they can’t tell me much. I’ve already tried switching to a Friday flight or a different Saturday flight out of another airport and everything is booked up.

If we can’t get to Miami in time, the only other option for us may be to change our flight so we go directly to Cozumel and catch up with the ship on Monday morning. If this happens, I need to find a hotel in Cozumel for Sat/Sun night, preferably near the port. (Carnival said there are two and doesn’t know which one they’ll come into.) Does anyone have any recommendations? I’m guessing I should post this in the Ports of Call section as well. There are many options on TripAdvisor, but my head is spinning with everything else going on.

If it helps, we’ll be with a 5 & 8 year-old, and we’re supposed to spend Monday with the dolphins at Chankanaab.

Thanks in advance!!

you may want to check spirit airlines out of Atlantic City (not actually AC its Egg Harbor township ) its about 15 minutes from me and everything seems fine with the storm, I didnt look but i wouldnt think too many delays

http://www.spiritair.com

What about getting a flight out of Philly? My parents are flying on Saturday morning from Philly for our cruise and the airport is open. Not sure if you could get a seat on those flights, but it's not too far of a drive. Also, eastern Pennsylvania is not as bad off as NJ and NY, so if you did drive, try to get into PA sooner because there's power meaning gas and the essentials. Good luck!

Agree with this! I live in NJ outside of Philly and we were lucky enough to not lose power. Plenty of gas, schools open. PHL is open. Try to get a flight from there. Best wishes - we are on the Liberty in June.

Also, there are a lot of airports between NY/NJ and Miami - Philly, Baltimore, DC and Dulles, even Richmond VA. Se if Delta can fly you out of one of those cities. Be flexible! Fly Friday if necessary and sleep over in Miami, instead of looking for Saturday morning.

Atlantic city to Miami is about 1250 miles. If he drove 100 miles the whole way, it would only take 13 hours.

Ok...am I the only one who thinks this travel insurance is being unreasonable in making them jump through all these hoops...

the OP did the responsible thing and bought travel insurance....

they should be able to just cancel and get a refund....

Archived