Never Been on Carnival, please advise

bertram182

Family and I have been on 4 past RCL cruises and while they have been very nice and had a great time, I think we would like to try something different. We are in our early 30's and would like some suggestions on which Carnival ship may suite us best. After being on the Voyager class, I can tell you we do not want the old/small ships that Carnival still run. We also are not overly concerend about the ports of call, as long as it is warm and sunny. I am not here to compare one cruise line to another, just would like some suggestions from past Carnival cruisers. We are not wild party animals, but do enjoy the bars, meeting new people and generally having a nice relaxing time.

Thanks,

I have not sailed on RCI's Voyager class...did a long weekend on Sovereign on the Seas several years ago when we lived in Florida. However, we recently returned from a very nice cruise on the Carnival Miracle. I would suggest that you take a look at the Miracle or one of the Conquest class ships (Conquest, Glory, Valor, (NEW) Liberty).

You will probably be happiest on either a conquest (Conquest, Glory, Valor, Liberty **Newest) or a spirit (Spirt, Legend, Miracle, Pride) class ships.

Most seem to like the Spirit class best even though they are little older then the Conquest class ships.

Both classes have enough activities and locations aboard that will allow you to find the level of "Excitement" that is right for you.

If you are going to try to compare anything to the Voyager class, you had best book yourself on one of the Carnival Conquest class ships. They are the biggest. However, even so, you will not find some of the features that you find on Voyager class. If it's important to you to have things like the ice rink, rock climbing wall, and interior royal promenade, then you would have to stick with RC.

Like I said, I have been on Voyager Class ship past 4 cruises, so nothing is really new or exciting aymore. Don't care much for the ice rink(ice shows are good) or rock climbing, promenade is nice, but not worth going out of my way to walk through it. Thanks for all the advice, keep it coming, it is much appreciated

Have Been On Both The Conquest And Spirit And Agree With Poster Above. You Will Enjoy...we Are Also A Family Of 4 Who Enjoy Going Out But Not Full Out Party Scene. Give The Conquesta Try First Would Be My Recommendation. We Really Enjoyed It And Plan To Sail Her Again Next Year.

We sailed CCL in 02 and 03 and RCL in 04. The average age on Carnival is younger in general but there are people of all ages. The average age was younger by 5 to 10 years. More kids on CCL and much wilder in general but not we are not big partiers and seemed to have a good time on both. There are definately more people per square foot on Carnival but not that problem. Recommend a balcony no matter what. Gives you a nice relaxing area for privacy when you want it! Would sail with out a balcony again. We are sailing on Carnival because we are taking the kids 15, 21, and 23. We thought they would like the party atmosphere of Carnival better. I hope this helps.

Roxane13

Aventure of the Seas this past March--very nice ship, food not really good, and entertainment lacking, though good for the most part.

CCL--much better entertainment, larger cabins, better food--quality and variety--especially on the Lido for lunch. Grill has fresh hamburgers, not precooked ones stacked in a pan, pizza tremendously better on CCL.

The overall "fun" feeling and atmosphere are the most important things for me when going on CCL.

I agree, the Conquest ships would be your best bet, even though the Destiny class ships are still very nice.

We were on the Carnival Conquest 040305. Ages 8-57. All had a wonderful time. My teenage boys, especially the senior in high school, said it was his best trip ever. The boys met alot of other high school students and they said everybody was great. I think you will experience this for every age group. This was our first cruise so I have nothing to compare it to but I loved having the option of doing nothing or participating in numerous activities. Would highly recommend a Carnival cruise to anybody. Was treated like royalty!

We're sailing Glory in October. Always had a balcony on RCCL. We will be booking the upper/lower on CCL (promotional cruise), but hoping to get an upgrade to at least an interior w/queen bed. I hear the rooms on CCL are much larger than other lines. Will we be disappointed in either of these rooms other than the fact there is no balcony? DH will love the darkness for sleeping later, but I'm addicted to the balconies. Not a must, but if it's at least roomy, I'll take it. As long as I'm cruising and not working, I'm happy.

Mu husband and I sailed on the Conquest in March. We are both 30 and enjoy meeting people on our trips. We spent a lot of time in the bars, even though we are not "heavy" drinkers and had a blast! The ship is so large and there is so much to do. I highly recommend this ship.

Man I must be missing something somewhere. I keep hearing about all this wild partying that is supposed to be going on on Carnival ships but I sure have not seen a lot of it - at least nothing I would consider out of the norm. Either my party meter is different than a lot of folks or I have been on the wrong ships at the wrong time ???? Can't compare activities to other cruise lines as we have not been there yet but based on what I see on the boards and the people I talk to about the different crusie lines - with a couple of exceptions - most of the crusie lines/activities/food etc etc seem to be pretty much the same. Granted decors are different and such but age groups, excursions, shows and the basics don' t seem to vary much. True there are no ice skating rinks or rock climbing walls on Carnival, just as not all the ships have alternative dining operations and some use free dining vs scheduled - but best I can determine a cruise is a cruise and you will have a good time (assuming you allow yourself the priviledge) regardless of which ship or line you choose. Have cruised 3 different levels of Carnival ships and yes there is a big difference between the big new ones and the little old ones - but we have enjoyed them all. And oh by the way - our last cruise was on the Celebration out of Jacksonville and I am here to tell ya - the majority of the folks on that boat were well past high school and college. Including us ha ha.

Other than possibly the three new Vista Class Ships, Holland America is pretty much a floating Mortuary. Pretty quiet on board after 8:30-9:00 pm.

Ships are nice, but very sedate. I'm almost 60 and felt like a kid on Holland America, I guess a person is only as old as they allow their self to be. I'll stick with Carnival, nice mix of all age groups. :cool:

I think the time of year you cruise has a lot to do with the atmosphere.We went this May.Lots of high school and college age kids,young adults.The clubs were hoping until the wee hours.they also had a mardi gras party on the lido one night.We sailed on the conquest out of NO.

CC

Man I must be missing something somewhere. I keep hearing about all this wild partying that is supposed to be going on on Carnival ships but I sure have not seen a lot of it - at least nothing I would consider out of the norm. Either my party meter is different than a lot of folks or I have been on the wrong ships at the wrong time ???? Can't compare activities to other cruise lines as we have not been there yet but based on what I see on the boards and the people I talk to about the different crusie lines - with a couple of exceptions - most of the crusie lines/activities/food etc etc seem to be pretty much the same. Granted decors are different and such but age groups, excursions, shows and the basics don' t seem to vary much. True there are no ice skating rinks or rock climbing walls on Carnival, just as not all the ships have alternative dining operations and some use free dining vs scheduled - but best I can determine a cruise is a cruise and you will have a good time (assuming you allow yourself the priviledge) regardless of which ship or line you choose. Have cruised 3 different levels of Carnival ships and yes there is a big difference between the big new ones and the little old ones - but we have enjoyed them all. And oh by the way - our last cruise was on the Celebration out of Jacksonville and I am here to tell ya - the majority of the folks on that boat were well past high school and college. Including us ha ha.

It really depends on the makeup of the passengers on any given week. I have been on Carnival ships that were dead and others that were rockin.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Legend and am booked on the Pride so my experience is limited the the Spirit Class. I was completely satisfied with Carnival. So far we have done the Norway, Zenith, Horizon, Galaxy, Disney Magic and AOS aaside from the Legend. Carnival compares favorably with the top. We are not "party animals" but enjoy fine dining and nice bars and entertainment. Liked Carnival more than Norway and RCCL.

Man I must be missing something somewhere. I keep hearing about all this wild partying that is supposed to be going on on Carnival ships but I sure have not seen a lot of it - at least nothing I would consider out of the norm. Either my party meter is different than a lot of folks or I have been on the wrong ships at the wrong time ????

Timing is everything I suppose...

My first cruise, while not a wild party, it was definitely a party on board. A few people who, if they had to drive afterwards, would have had their keys taken from them.

Second cruise, a lot of families, but still a small party here and there. No one falling down drunk though, except for the one who was sitting at my table for dinner. Embarrassing his wife and friends to no end....

Third cruise, not dead, but not a party.

Hi Bertram. I thought I'd add my two cents to the above. The ones who say there are more kids are probably crusing when school is out for summer or for spring breaks or around holidays. I cruise in September so there won't be so many kids, I see very few.:)

As far as the partying, I've seen a moderate amount on every cruise, including Princess and NCL....so I don't agree with the party-hardy atmosphere. (I've never seen anybody roaring drunk.) I'm just over 60, female, solo-cruiser, and I've enjoyed my fellow passengers on every cruise, especially at dinner, and I have all three meals a day in the dining room...I'm not much on buffet-type food. I cruise mainly for relaxation, but enjoy talking to folks over a nightcap before going to my cabin. There's usually a nice mix of ages. Enjoy Carnival, whichever ship y'all decide on.:)

We sailed CCL in 02 and 03 and RCL in 04. The average age on Carnival is younger in general but there are people of all ages. The average age was younger by 5 to 10 years. More kids on CCL and much wilder in general but not we are not big partiers and seemed to have a good time on both. There are definately more people per square foot on Carnival but not that problem. Recommend a balcony no matter what.

Roxane13

Glory (Conquest class) felt really crowded on my cruise last week and was packed with kids. I am an RCI cruiser and really felt closed in. Although Voyager and her sisters are huge, I never had to wait in lines and on Glory, it was a common occurence. Sea days were a pain. I felt like a salmon swimming upstream. I was very grateful for my balcony and spent a lot more time in my room than usual.

The pools were really small as well for the number of people aboard and always packed.

I have heard Spirit class has more space and is not as crowded.

For my taste and lifestyle, RCI offers a much more diverse sports and fitness program and better nightlife choices.

Just my personal experience.

I have seen hard partiers on both RCI and Carnival but never completly out of control. You will like the Conquest and similar with Carnival if you like Voyager class RCI, at least I am assuming because I have not sailed the largest RCI ships (catch me in October).

Archived