St. Tropez- worth a visit

jermaine1509

Looking for some general advice and other people's experiences- Visiting Toulon (la seyne sur mer) on the Indy next summer, considering RCI excursion to Saint Tropez, ship excursion is £95 p/person...

- has anybody done this excursion in particular? If so how was it..

- also more generally, is St Tropez worth visiting?

Having visited Monaco, in my minds eye I expect it to be similar but on a smaller scale...

All feedback would be greatly appreciated :D

St Tropez is very very small and not particularly worth seeing. The harbour area is pretty and you can goggle at the yachts there but there is nothing much else. I would go west instead and visit Cassis. It is beautiful with a superb Provencale market. You could also go on a boat trip for an hour or two to see the Calanques. Just my opinion! St Tropez is nothing at all like Monaco and is extremely small.

When we were going to St. Tropez I emailed a guide we had used previously - she had a nice itienrary set up which basically avoided St. Tropez:rolleyes: Lots of nice areas to visit - there is not much in St. Tropez.

I'd do a private tour rather than a ship's tour but that's JMO:)

Word of warning - if you are going there in the summer it will be very busy and you might be caught in traffic trying to get out.

Thanks for the feedback guys, albeit I am slightly disappointed in reading how lite St Tropez has to offer, however I am grateful for the honest feedback, and will turn my attention elsewhere i think, i will certainly further research Cassis (thanks Margbem) looks lovely from what I've seen so far..:)

Thanks all

• 1 month later...

We actually enjoyed our day there. Regent includes tours so in the morning we took a trip to a place right outside St. Tropez (I can't remember name) - it was a community manmade set around canals - we took a little boat trip - we then returned to St. Tropez - walked through old city and harbor area and had a delightful lunch. There aren't major sites but it was still a very pleasant day.

St Tropez is more of an evening spectacle. We love sitting in one of the harbour bars and watching all the big yachts and the beautiful people. Shopping is quite good though daytime.

Port Grimaud and in fact Grimaud village up in the hills behind the port are really worth a visit. There is a little land train which goes from the Prairies de la mer campsite at the port up to the hilltop village which is cobbled narrow streets, traditional village square, lots of art shops and such. A water taxi could take you from st tropez to port Grimaud but I would really heed the previous posters warning about the traffic - that risk would make me inclined to do a ship tour if I was to go there on a cruise stop.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived