Review: Jewel 10/21 | Garden Villa | Chefs Table | Bridge Tour | 100+ Pictures

brian99

Brian, One more question for you...my husband isn't a wine drinker would he be able to order beer? Thank you for all the info!

Everyone at out table had wine so I'm can't say for sure but I think they would be able to accommodate your husband. We were told they could adjust the menu for people with specific dietary needs, like vegetarians or people with allergies, so serving beer instead of wine shouldn't be a problem but you would have to ask when there to be sure.

Here's a picture I should have posted in day 3, it's the Cocoa Beach Pier.

If you're stopping in Port Canaveral I recommend taking a taxi to the pier instead of the shuttle to Cocoa Beach/Ron Jon Surf Shop. The pier is about a mile north of Ron Jon's and has stores at the beginning, a restaurant in the middle and a bar at the end.

The pier is a busy area since there's a lot of parking. If you want a quiet area you can start at the pier and walk 5-10 minutes in either direction.

20121023-PA230640.jpg

Bar Area:

There were plenty of glasses and dishes. Many different type of soda, bottled water, a selection of coffee and teas. Everything was included in the cost of the room.

20121026-EOS_06826.jpg

20121026-EOS_06768.jpg

The coffee maker used Lavazza coffee pods. At first there were 6-8 varieties of coffee but we asked our butler to just bring us a bunch of the regular coffee (purple tops).

20121026-EOS_06766.jpg

We're not tea drinkers but there was a variety of tea as well. I'm guessing the coffee maker could make hot water for tea.

20121028-S95_1086.jpg

Living Room:

20121026-EOS_06789.jpg

20121026-EOS_06779.jpg

Player Piano:

20121026-EOS_06775.jpg

Bose 5.1 surround sound DVD/CD/MP3 player. We brought a CD full of MP3's to play, it only came out of 3 speakers but sounded good anywhere. The laptop is locked down so it can only be used for internet access, I brought my own netbook to use. The small black cordless phone on the right is great, there were about 5 of them in the suite. They worked anywhere on the ship and each had their own phone number. You could call the butler or concierge, call a specific phone or call any suite on the ship. I suppose you could also use it to call ship to shore but we never tried that.

20121026-EOS_06783.jpg

The villa looks awesome. Wish I can afford to stay in one.

The DVD selection, however, is horrible. I know NCL wants you to go out and spend your money, but seriously, can't they even provide some new releases for their suite guests?

Only way DW and I could afford to stay in a villa like this, is to bring 3 other couples with us and all share the cost.

Great pictures.

The garden villa is really set up for a large group of people. The living room has seating for 8-10, the indoor and outdoor dining rooms each seat 8 and the upstairs sundeck had two tables, 8 chairs and about 10 lounge chairs (and a hammock).

I would never book the room for two people (it was an upgrade) but it costs about the same for 6 people in a garden villa as it does for 6 people in three haven suites.

The garden villa is really set up for a large group of people. The living room has seating for 8-10, the indoor and outdoor dining rooms each seat 8 and the upstairs sundeck had two tables, 8 chairs and about 10 lounge chairs (and a hammock).

I would never book the room for two people (it was an upgrade) but it costs about the same for 6 people in a garden villa as it does for 6 people in three haven suites.

DW and I have an Aft Penthouse Suite (SF) for Pearl next November. Here's hoping it will be all we want it to be.:cool:

You're really making me miss my GV on the Jewel! We were in 14000 and, being as there were only the two of us, we pretty much opened the suite to everyone on our Roll Call! We had 48 people on the top deck for sail-away and there was still room for more! We had roll call cocktail parties every night (only a 5 day cruise) and finished off the 6 bottles of liquor! :eek:

I'll probably never be able to afford another GV again!!:(

I should have kept a log of what we did each day because days 5 and 6 are a little foggy. I think we drank a lot and spent quite a bit of time in the hot tub. Here’s what I remember:

Day 5 – Sea Day

We tried our luck at bingo. I thought it was very expensive, $49 for 6 boards, and they only played three games. Then we did Deal or no Deal, we got two boards ($20 each) but didn’t win anything. We had dinner scheduled with the Staff Captain at Azura. I’m not sure if this was arranged by our concierge or because we attended the meet and greet. It was a good meal and there was plenty of free wine. After dinner we saw the comedian/magician who we enjoyed during the welcome aboard show. It was a good show; he does a lot of card tricks, some larger illusions and was very funny.

Day 6 – Norfolk, VA

We thought about going to Norfolk and wandering around but since it was overcast and looked like rain we decided to stay on board. My wife got a massage at the spa which she said was average at best.

Our concierge offered us a free dinner at any restaurant with a bottle of wine so we chose Moderno, this was my favorite meal (other than the chefs table). They start you off with a great salad bar, I didn’t take much knowing how much meat was coming. You get a card that’s red on one side and green on the other. As long as you keep the card on green servers come by every few minutes and offer you meat. I think there’s 9 different items on the menu; I made it through 7 of them before turning my card to red. One of the chicken items was bland; the other 6 were all great. At night we saw the Cirque Dreams show which was very good. It’s nothing compared to a Cirque show in Vegas but given the size of the stage they have to work with it was enjoyable.

Stay tuned for day 7, my favorite day of the cruise. Galley tour, bridge tour, martini tasting, cabin crawl, Le Bistro

Archived