Review of NCL Star Oct14-21 Bermuda

luv2cruise53

So wait, I'm confused...

You paid the $7.50 to get in to this place and it was where the dolphins are right? Do you know how much it is to do the dolphin swim? Is the lady in the picture one of the friends you were with and she did the swim? (That's why I thought maybe you would know the cost if so). What is the name of the place? Any details?

We have done the dolphin swim in Cozumel (and it was quite expensive) plus there was a height requirement (which I know you qualified...) but wondering if you had any more info? :)

Not a freind swimming, Think it was a dolphin trainer or it could have been the lone dolphin swimming girl.

Its called Dolphin Quest Bermuda.

here is the link: http://www.dolphinquest.com/index.php/133

They are part of a Dolphin Chain that is famous in Hawai as well as Costa Rica..

As you will see if you visit the link, it is not only so expensive as to be almost cost prohibitive, but it also has very little availability because all the spaces are given to the Cruise Ships themselves. This is one tour you should consider going with the NCL excursion department if the Quest itself sells out as NCL is only slightly higher..

I did a mock booking for the time I will be in Bermuda Next June 9-16....There were 6 spaces left on wednesday, 4 on thursday and 2 on Friday. The Cost for 2 was $510.00...

NCL =

Bermuda Dolphin Quest Experience

King's Wharf

Reach out to touch the dolphins! As you sit in waist-high water, experience the thrill of a dolphin swimming right up to your lap. Then, ...Reach out to touch the dolphins! As you sit in waist-high water, experience the thrill of a dolphin swimming right up to your lap. Then, put on your mask and swim into to deeper water to see the how the dolphins interact underneath you.

• ADULT FROM$229
  • CHILD FROM$199

DURATION 2 hours

ACTIVITY LEVEL 2 Tours with this activity level involve a considerable amount of physical activity such as substantial walking over cobblestone streets, uneven or steep terrain, climbing stairs, or extended periods of standing. Not recommended for guests with physical limitations. Comfortable, sturdy shoes are recommended.

Kev:cool:

Not a freind swimming, Think it was a dolphin trainer or it could have been the lone dolphin swimming girl.

Its called Dolphin Quest Bermuda.

They are part of a Dolphin Chain that is famous in Hawai as well as Costa Rica..

As you will see if you visit the link, it is not only so expensive as to be almost cost prohibitive, but it also has very little availability because all the spaces are given to the Cruise Ships themselves. This is one tour you should consider going with the NCL excursion department if the Quest itself sells out as NCL is only slightly higher..

I did a mock booking for the time I will be in Bermuda Next June 9-16....There were 6 spaces left on wednesday, 4 on thursday and 2 on Friday. The Cost for 2 was $510.00...

NCL =

King's Wharf

Reach out to touch the dolphins! As you sit in waist-high water, experience the thrill of a dolphin swimming right up to your lap. Then, ...Reach out to touch the dolphins! As you sit in waist-high water, experience the thrill of a dolphin swimming right up to your lap. Then, put on your mask and swim into to deeper water to see the how the dolphins interact underneath you.

• ADULT FROM$229
  • CHILD FROM$199

DURATION 2 hours

ACTIVITY LEVEL 2 Tours with this activity level involve a considerable amount of physical activity such as substantial walking over cobblestone streets, uneven or steep terrain, climbing stairs, or extended periods of standing. Not recommended for guests with physical limitations. Comfortable, sturdy shoes are recommended.

Holy Cow those prices are almost in line with the Dolphin Trainer for a Day excursions you can get in the Caribbean.

I just noticed in your signature you have the Breakaway for Jan 2014. Hubby and I were thinking of cruising her in Feb 2014. Might need to change to Jan on your sailing!:D

That would be excellent. Your February is bahamas Florida and is a 7 day, I was gonna do this in March...You will have a total of at least 3 out of 7 in the cold, so I looked at the 12 Day January trip to the Southern caribbean. It was only slightly higher priced,...and I mean only 300.00 more for 5 more days.

It goes

NY

San Juan PR

St Thomas

St Maarten

St Lucia

Barbados

St Kitts

My price for Bermuda w/ tax is $1560.

This trip is:

Total Price: $1,865.43 Price for a solo cabin

Which is great for a 12 Day cruise

Price it out and then we can talk. Wouldn't you rather get all that extra in and sail with Kev as well!!!

NCL =

jawdrop.gif

OH EM GEE! For real? That's crazy!!! Well checking that off my list of things to do there. YIKES!

We could never do any of the dolphin swims with the ship because they have this stupid age restriction on them (I think it's 8 years old and up) so...that's out of the question as well. :(

jawdrop.gif

OH EM GEE! For real? That's crazy!!! Well checking that off my list of things to do there. YIKES!

We could never do any of the dolphin swims with the ship because they have this stupid age restriction on them (I think it's 8 years old and up) so...that's out of the question as well. :(

Yes but, the best thing is you can take hubby and your sweet daughter to the area and get very close. The prices are too high but the experience of being that close was really nice and she will love it, so will you.:rolleyes:

So I decided to get some lunch...It was 3:00 and still 85 degrees and still mostly sunny. No rain ..no pain...

So I went out of the gate, another gate...and headed around the corner to an Italian restaurant I had kept noticing as I scooted by it.

There is a wonderful looking Seafood type place nearby with a ton of outdoor seating, but I opted for the Italian cause I was craving pizza seeing The Star pizza was not up to anything...let alone par.

The Seafood place is also one of the three or four restaurants and the other popular one is the Frog and Onion Pub.

The Italian place was also in a stone building....Who knew?..and had a large patio outside with ...get this....3 tables...yep...3...they could have fit 25....so this little anomaly should have struck me as funny...If I had my wits about me I would have concluded that.

• They did not have enough servers
  • The cooks could handle no more
  • The food taste....see crowd.... didn't allow them the bother to set up more.

So I went in to see what was up and there were a scattering of indoor diners....3 tables..but again...Kev not thinking...and I waited 5 minutes for someone to say...hey Mr. kevin...never happened...but stupid is as stupid does Kev asks if he can still get lunch and as the guy yawned he said yes. I said can I sit at the bar and he said yes..yawn...I went to the bar...sat down and noticed it was a bar with no back wall...no bartender...nada really....but stupid is as stupid does and someone brought me a menu and I ordered.....guess....a Pina Colada.

I looked at the menu and was looking at the pizzas, which seemed to come in one size, so I ordered a pizza with roni.

Long story short...Pizza come...Kev trys...Pizza sucks...Kev has 2 slices and leaves it outside the door...oops on the bar and asks for check....35.00 with tip......Heloooo:eek:

Kev leaves...Not a Pizza Week

Next up:Last look and a pepsi and .....at my harbor supply store.

That would be excellent. Your February is bahamas Florida and is a 7 day, I was gonna do this in March...You will have a total of at least 3 out of 7 in the cold, so I looked at the 12 Day January trip to the Southern caribbean. It was only slightly higher priced,...and I mean only 300.00 more for 5 more days.

It goes

NY

San Juan PR

St Thomas

St Maarten

St Lucia

Barbados

St Kitts

My price for Bermuda w/ tax is $1560.

This trip is:

Total Price: $1,865.43 Price for a solo cabin

Which is great for a 12 Day cruise

Price it out and then we can talk. Wouldn't you rather get all that extra in and sail with Kev as well!!!

That is an excellent deal! Unfortunatly for us it probably won't work. Looks like it will be about $1000.00 extra pp for us (we like mini suites), combine that with the extra time off work it might be out of reach :mad:. WE can't crusie in 2013 since we have 2 children getting married this year :eek:! Add that to one we married off last August and these kids are ruining not only our bank account but our vacation schedule:p. I will have to crunch the numbers and see what I can come up with. Love the 12 day idea and the ports! Oh well if not I'm sure a cruise with Kev is somewhere in our future!

Long story short...Pizza come...Kev trys...Pizza sucks...Kev has 2 slices and leaves it outside the door...oops on the bar and asks for check....35.00 with tip......Heloooo:eek:

Yikes! WARNING: Prior to sailing with NCL or travelling to Bermuda - Passengers should get their pizza fix on land as we have determined these are not PIZZA FRIENDLY DESTINATIONS............ :D

BTW, Kev - I love the "People Movers" term you use throughout your review. :cool:

Edited by camz

Yikes! WARNING: Prior to sailing with NCL or travelling to Bermuda - Passengers should get their pizza fix on land as we have determined these are not PIZZA FRIENDLY DESTINATIONS............ :D

BTW, Kev - I love the "People Movers" term you use throughout your review. :cool:

Eileen,

Pizza is a very subjective food. Most NCL ships I have been on do it passably well. The Spirit and Epic were middlin to good. I can only hope that the Breakaway will do a fine job with pizza when I sail her in June.

The pizza on Bermuda is not to my liking. It seems to be something withthe sauce, but lets not denounce a nation based on Kev.

As far as people movers you also have to remember this is tongue in cheek humor by Kev. I realize there are people with actual handicaps that need these assitance vehicles so that they can participate in a travel adventure.

My tongue in cheek humor is reserved for the hefty patrons who zoom by at 50mph with 6 plates from the buffet,....park at their table, ...get off the mover and proceed...to devour half of deck 12....lather ..rinse...repeat....

Trust me when I tell you, I see this all too frequently and it does not sit that well with my sense of logic.

LOL:D

Edited by luv2cruise53

Eileen,

Pizza is a very subjective food. Most NCL ships I have been on do it passably well. The Spirit and Epic were middlin to good. I can only hope that the Breakaway will do a fine job with pizza when I sail her in June.

The pizza on Bermuda is not to my liking. It seems to be something withthe sauce, but lets not denounce a nation based on Kev.

As far as people movers you also have to remember this is tongue in cheek humor by Kev. I realize there are people with actual handicaps that need these assitance vehicles so that they can participate in a travel adventure.

My tongue in cheek humor is reserved for the hefty patrons who zoom by at 50mph with 6 plates from the buffet,....park at their table, ...get off the mover and proceed...to devour half of deck 12....lather ..rinse...repeat....

Trust me when I tell you, I see this all too frequently and it does not sit that well with my sense of logic.

LOL:D

VERY TRUE on all counts! :D

I take back my PIZZA WARNING! Now it's proceed with caution, subjective topic here...........:eek:

VERY TRUE on all counts! :D

I take back my PIZZA WARNING! Now it's proceed with caution, subjective topic here...........:eek:

My ears are burning.....I have heard a rumor that the size of my pics are being discussed.LOL.:D

This has been a nightmare for me.

At first when I copied from file to cruise critic I got a little box in left corner with an X. then I asked advice and got a small thumbnail.

More advice and i used photobucket which is some 12 year olds amateur program that never works the same way twice...is a nightmare to upload....and gives me a picture like those in this thread and never the same size twice.

The main reason this review is taking so long is this photosucket program. I would love to know the secret of posting large pics all in same format...etc...

Kim Mitsu promises she will teach me for the Spirit review.

Kev - It's all good, no worries, remember! Calm down, take a deep breath and Kim will be on CC sometime today helping you through the photo process. :) Apparently, she has extra time this week and she wants Bermuda information ASAP. I wish I could help you but I am the WORST and I am not kidding, the WORST photo taker ever. I cut heads off and all that good stuff so I have no photobucket experience whatsoever. :( I know she also beat you in finishing her saga first, so your self-esteem is probably very low at the moment . :rolleyes: But its all good. Looking forward to your Spirit review and then you have your Breakaway trip right around the corner. Your review of the Breakaway should be tons of fun. :D

Kev - It's all good, no worries, remember! Calm down, take a deep breath and Kim will be on CC sometime today helping you through the photo process. :) Apparently, she has extra time this week and she wants Bermuda information ASAP. I wish I could help you but I am the WORST and I am not kidding, the WORST photo taker ever. I cut heads off and all that good stuff so I have no photobucket experience whatsoever. :( I know she also beat you in finishing her saga first, so your self-esteem is probably very low at the moment . :rolleyes: But its all good. Looking forward to your Spirit review and then you have your Breakaway trip right around the corner. Your review of the Breakaway should be tons of fun. :D

Thank's Eileen,

Kim beat me but my review is of a different ilk. My pics are a nightmare, but also trying to write in Kev style is also a challenge. I lost most of my loyal followers by my writers block....LOL

But it will be done this week and then I have time to load proper pics with Kim's help and we will zoom through the NOLA western Carib for those who are sailing this spring.

Thank's for all your support.

Thank's Eileen,

Kim beat me but my review is of a different ilk. My pics are a nightmare, but also trying to write in Kev style is also a challenge. I lost most of my loyal followers by my writers block....LOL

But it will be done this week and then I have time to load proper pics with Kim's help and we will zoom through the NOLA western Carib for those who are sailing this spring.

Thank's for all your support.

Everyone loved your review. Your humor kept it on the best-reading list for weeks. :D

I have mentioned a lot in this thread and some pics were not the best. I know people are planning their Bermuda, so I will now recap all the Links of places I visited for any readers convenience.

Kev's Famous Links Page:

Kings Wharf Bermuda: http://www.bermuda.com/visitors/dockyard--cruise-ships.aspx

http://www.bermudaportreviews.com/KingsWharf.htm

Oleander Cycles: (for Scooter Info) http://www.oleandercycles.bm/

Snorkel Park Beach http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_00000f.htm

Dolphin Quest Bermuda http://www.dolphinquest.com/?gclid=CMmQ16iF2bQCFcef4AodkA8Aaw

Bermuda Sun News

http://bermudasun.bm/

Bermuda Royal Gazette News http://www.royalgazette.com/section/news

Bermuda Attractions http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/

Bermuda Bus and Ferry Info

Bermuda Transport Passes Bermuda transportation passes are good for both Buses and Ferries, and have a validity period.

You can hop on and off any number of times within the validity period. For example, a 3-day pass is good for unlimited use for 3 days.

Passes are the cheapest way of travelling in the island if you plan to avail public bus and/or ferry several times a day.

The passes are also very convenient. You won't need to stand on a queue at the ticket counter every time you take a ride.

There are 1day, 2day, 3day, 4day and even weekly passes. You can also get passes for a month or even 3 months.

Adult Pass (valid for both buses & ferries in all routes except the Pink Route Ferry that connects Hamilton with Paget and Warwick docks. This pass is good for most tourists.) Format is funky because it was copied from a table but you can figure it out if you look closely.

Child passes (age 5-16) are half the cost. Children below 5 and Senior Bermuda Citizens are free.

If anyone needs anything else it should be linkable in the above:

Bermuda Attractions http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/

Happy planning,

1-day

2-day

3-day

4-day

7-day

Monthly

3-Months

$12

$20

$28

$35

$45

$55

$135

Edited by luv2cruise53

Hello Kev,

Thanks for all the humor and tips! I started reading your review yesturday (while at work, sshhhhh) and loved it. My family is also booked on the Breakaway to Bermuda but for the July 14th 2013 sailing. I'm so looking forward to it and your review just brought it that much closer, so Thank you.

You mentioned teaching as an option some day after all your studies were done but you've already become a teacher and didn't know it. Having you as a professor would have been a real hoot!

Happy Sailings! :p

So I unsteadily made my way up 2 flights, noticed all the barf bags by the elevators and along the walkway window alcoves, and I bounced to the Spinnaker through the Red Lion. The ship indoors was packed cause there really was no outdoors and it resembled the embarkation with so many cruisers about. I entered the Spinnaker and gravitated to the same prime real estate that I chose earlier, not that there was any benefit but because it was familiar. So I checked my watch and it was 10 to two so I relaxed and read my book which I always carried but rarely read. There were about twenty people here and there and I was primed to score some prizes for my EPIC knowledge skills. More people arrived as I read and it tended toward an older crowd which I thought was strange but figured they had nothing better to do so I waited with everyone. The screen that was pulled down awaiting a video was suddenly lifted and the DJ booth lit up and I figured something was up. A couple of crew members arrived and headed to the stage and asked everyone to join them on the stage, so confusedly I did and they did and the next thing you know, Kev is line dancing with the elderly crowd as it was 3:00 and not 2:00 and I had missed the EPIC seminar.So I lined danced a few minutes and then line danced down the aisle and line danced out the door and line danced to the Red Lion for a much needed cocktail. Can you say Mudslide, I can and I did and I set my watch to ship time and sucked down my mudslide. And thanked the line dance gods for releasing me from that exciting hour.

Next up:

The Casino Royale or how to lose 100 dollars in ten minutes

I have not laughed like this in a long time...I have had one of life's major losses...mom..at 53 ..I was 52 in August when it happened, not to rush me along..and today i just feel well sickish and i just made the executive decision I can not deal with a teeth cleaning and xray today...1 phone call and I can laugh through sickish now I hope and do the latter in Feb..this is the best time you are giving all your readers....only thing better than giggling through the trip oneself is giggling through someone who loves cruising and does so with similar budgets and great humour.

....Looking so forward to trying NCL..and OMG as a solo it will be great the more i read the better it sounds...you my fellow cruiser are a blast and thanks soooo much for some desperately needed laughter, time to try for tea and cereal and more jokes and good times on the high seas...thanks soooo much....Sarah

Edited by sjn911

I have not laughed like this in a long time...I have had one of life's major losses...mom..at 53 ..I was 52 in August when it happened, not to rush me along..and today i just feel well sickish and i just made the executive decision I can not deal with a teeth cleaning and xray today...1 phone call and I can laugh through sickish now I hope and do the latter in Feb..this is the best time you are giving all your readers....only thing better than giggling through the trip oneself is giggling through someone who loves cruising and does so with similar budgets and great humour.

....Looking so forward to trying NCL..and OMG as a solo it will be great the more i read the better it sounds...you my fellow cruiser are a blast and thanks soooo much for some desperately needed laughter, time to try for tea and cereal and more jokes and good times on the high seas...thanks soooo much....Sarah

Sarah, Thank you so much for your kind words. I am sorry for your loss and trust me when I say I understand. I lost my own mother in 2007. She had emphysema, and I took care of her for her last years. It still is a tough loss for me. In April of 2012 I lost my partner of 15 years to cancer. He and I had traveled a lot and in 2006 we discovered cruising and never looked back. After his death about 11 months later I ventured on to the Epic as a solo. The solo cabins, the solo meetings and my own personality made this new mode of travel a huge success. You cannot begin to understand the freedom that a solo traveler can experience. Is it lonely, sure sometimes it is, when you see people together doing couples stuff. But if you watch long enough and wait long enough you will see them and other couples fighting like roosters at a cock fight.

And then you say....Nice Kev(Sarah) who needs that %&%*%&...LOL

Keep up the faith, and cruise solo soon.

God and Kev Love ya.

Glad your back and prolific on this review, Kev!

School finished now? (job interview mentioned) Good luck!!

Would love to fall into a deal like your Dolphin Quest up close and personal one!

Enjoying even the not large photos;) (reminding me of your not flat screen television in the cabin)

Thank's Eileen,

If you lost loyal followers they aren't loyal! Those of us still here are loyal! I love your little pics, since others think they are little also I don't think it is me and my middle aged eyes :D

So sorry for the loss of your mom, losing a mother at any age is so very heard ( I lost mine when I was 38). Then to back that up with the loss of your partner to cancer after so many years together had to have been a huge blow. From the bottom of my heart, I am sorry for you losses. You humor and love of life encourages me, you are truley a special man. :)

Kev..thanks so much so true..and i an so glad Epic and Star were cool...and well everything else because i want to go to alot of lines and different ships within them..things really do vary...your're the best LOL..prayers to those lost and congrats to your/our living through back to joy....easy navigation..just left take a few turns and as solos we will still eventually find our stateroom,,LOL..Sarah

Edited by sjn911

So sorry for the loss of your mom, losing a mother at any age is so very heard ( I lost mine when I was 38). Then to back that up with the loss of your partner to cancer after so many years together had to have been a huge blow. From the bottom of my heart, I am sorry for you losses. You humor and love of life encourages me, you are truley a special man. :)

Kev and everyone tugged on my heartstrings as well. I lost my mom when I was a Senior in High School. She was burried on my 18th birthday. She never got to go on a cruise. I think about how blessed my life has turned out and how proud she would be of me when I'm kicking and beating myself up about school and work. The loss of a loved one is hard and extremely hard when it is your mother. There's nothing like the bond of a mother and her child. :)

Kev and everyone tugged on my heartstrings as well. I lost my mom when I was a Senior in High School. She was burried on my 18th birthday. She never got to go on a cruise. I think about how blessed my life has turned out and how proud she would be of me when I'm kicking and beating myself up about school and work. The loss of a loved one is hard and extremely hard when it is your mother. There's nothing like the bond of a mother and her child. :)

Ahh Kim, how hard for a young girl just entering the world! She must have been amazing, because from what I can see (read) and read between the lines you are an awesome mom! Much love to you also

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

We all appreciate our loved ones and our losses are hard to bear ...but the one thing we do...is try to move on and thank God for the support left here with us.

So Kev says, lets move on with this %$^ Bermuda Star Cruise so we can get to New Orleans before Mardi Gras.:D

So out of the Pizza/Italian restaurant...the name escapes me...who knew?

and what does Kev espy directly across the street...yep...the Harbour Supply Store that sits on the docks. Well it is going on 3:30 so Kev knows it is time to get aboard because we sail away at 5:00 PM and Kev knows from the Line Dance debacle that his watch is correct. Perhaps Kev should go grab a Pepsi...Yes Kev will go grab a Pepsi....maybe.....no....definetly NO....Kev can be prudent...Kev is 53 years old, old enough to know best...So Kev goes across said road, across said shell lot and into said door and goes and grabs a Pepsi. Kev goes to said cashier and pays for the Pepsi....and does not....get ...

To be Continued

Kev:eek:

Edited by luv2cruise53