Moorea excursions

DGK

Thank you everyone for all your expert advice as we have our 10 day PG cruise plus pre-cruise stay at Hilton Moorea almost completely planned out. A few questions regarding Moorea excursions please. First we live in land lock Canada with minimal ocean experience. Yes we can swim, mid 50's and plan on practicing snorkelling at the Hilton. We miss the ocean desperately. Our tours so far include a mixture of snorkelling, boating and 4x4 on Boara Bora. For some reason with Moorea we are finding it challenging to decide and would like comments. Can you please provide any feedback on the following...Underwater walk ( we read more positive reviews on Moorea compared to Bora Bora ), Dolphin Watching ( we will be there end of Jan. ) The Three Coconut Hiking Trail, Trail of Ancients...please note Mark E. is not available for our cruise and the Wave runner ( this would be for my DH only, too bumpy for me ?).No desire to try scuba. While staying at the Hilton we are thinking of renting a car to drive up to Look out ( weather permitting ) and buy groceries. Where would you rent from if at the Hilton ? Sorry this is so long, thanks so much in advance, Hard to believe a year ago I never even heard of the PG ! All your help has been greatly appreciated. Donna

We did the ship's wave runner tour in Moorea and loved it. You get the wave runner from the IC. The tour guide was very good and spoke both English and French. You get to see a nice amount of the coastline, then you to a small motu where there are a few rays.

I am like you; I get scared on wave runners but I go for my DH's sake. He tries to avoid the bumps. It was easy to avoid them on this tour and the scenery was beautiful.

I haven't done the waverunner in Moorea but we do own one and go out on the lake with it. If my daughters are driving I can have a thrilling bumpy ride but if they take it easy on their mom, it is a really fun experience.

I would consider it if I were you if your husband does it. They are really fun and not really bumpy unless you're intentionally jumping waves.

Donna send emails to sandrine at avis and also albert and ask them about the car rental. They may bring the car to your hotel.

Maharepa is very close in case you want to pick up baguettes, wine, cheeses etc.

Thanks Tikiintahiti and Miriam as I sent some emails off regarding car rental. Is four hours enough to go to the look ,out stop at some sights and pick up groceries ? We arrive in Moorea from the 9:15 ferry on a Sunday. I was originally thinking of renting the car that day as we probably wont be able to check in till late. Did I read somewhere that stores are closed on a Sunday ? Is the driving nutty in Moorea ?

Your comments Coldweather girl and Columbusnj are appreciated. I am not a thrill seeker and get motion sickness . For a short time and with my DH doing the driving ( he would go slow for me ) I may be able to handle it. i like the idea of being able to see the coast line,

Donna

I think stores may be closed when we get there. I am hoping Champion by the dock will be open. If not then so be it.

If I was renting a car I would try to do that on tuesday. Just keep your swimwear handy and even ifyou dont get your room you can change and enjoy the beach and water. That is what we intend to do that morning.

If you just want to go to the Belvedere, agricultural farm from the hIlton 4 hours may be enough. They also have a per hour additional charge in case you are over but do inquire about it. We have only rented from Sandrine and for convenience rented for the day. But then, we rented while on the PG so used it to travel around the island as well as to swim at the Sofitel.

I just received some rates and interesting not much difference between the 4 and 8 hour car rental so we will probably do the full day and if we find an interesting spot take the time and not rush. We will avoid the Sunday and just relax till we can access our room and possible plan Monday or Tues. How would I find out if any other ships are in port Mon. Jan. 21 or Tues. Jan 22 ? Why would you suggest the Tues. Miriam over Monday ? I'm constantly learning so much !

Anyone else have any comments about the ship tours mentioned previousely ?

I also found out directly from the Hilton their pool is expected to be completed reno's by mid Dec. in time for the holiday season if anyone interested spending a day there. Thanks, Donna

Sorry,Donna I should have said Monday.

For the full day you can circumnavigate around the island including Belvedere etc. Tiki has some places for cheap lunches so you can do that and then stop at Maharepa or Champion for your groceries. If you want to visit us at the sofitel let me know as that will give you a chance to see Temae Beach area though Temae is accessible from the road around the airport.

Wow thanks so much Tikiintahiti and yes Miriam sounds like fun to be able to stop at the beach and check out Sofitel. Now we just need to decide what excursions while in port in Moorea. We now feel the Underwater walk isn't for us and the wave runner may be too bumpy for me. Donna

DGK - Since you're planning to rent a car for the day, I would highly recommend you consider a visit to Tiki Village: http://www.tikivillage.fr/en/village.html (Alternately, you can do it as an independent excursion when you're in port and just arrange pickup at the port through them.) It really is our favorite attraction on Moorea. They're open daily from 11am-3pm; admission is around 2500 (a little over $25) per person. A guide will take you around to the various fares where you can see traditional crafts being made; you'll see everything from a coconut cracking/shaving demo to tiki carving (with a machete!) to jewelry and crafts. They'll show you how to dye your own pareo, and they'll paddle you out to their pearl-farming demo on a little outrigger boat. They also have a small black pearl boutique with some really lovely designs. Afterward, the villagers put on a great little performance with music, fire-dancing, traditional dances, and a pareo-tying demo. (If you're interested, I have some photos/videos posted on Flickr at

- just bear with me as I'm still in the process of labeling and captioning them at the moment!)

Since you're staying for a few nights, you might also want to consider Tiki Village's nighttime show: http://www.tikivillage.fr/en/spectacle.html We missed it, since we were docked overnight on a Thursday and the show only takes place Tues/Wed/Fri/Sat. According to their website, you can get a free ticket for a daytime visit/tour if you attend the evening show.

It sounds like you have plenty of great advice re. the other activities you asked about; but I wanted to mention this one since Paul Gauguin doesn't currently offer a Tiki Village excursion. (We discovered it on a Princess cruise for our honeymoon 10 years ago, and made a point of returning when we visited Moorea with Paul Gauguin this year.)

Have fun planning your upcoming trip. You're sure to have an amazing time!

The show is good but the dinner is so so ..............

I'd skip dinner and just take in the show

Good to know, Tiki - I'll keep that in mind the next time we return. Thanks! We're planning to do a pre- or post-cruise stay in Moorea on our next trip (which may not be until our 20th anniversary), so hopefully we'll be able to catch the evening show then. But I have to say, I was impressed with the small afternoon show they put on considering there were only 4 of us visiting that day - there were actually more performers than guests!

Everyone has their own opinions so I don't want to step on anyones toes. However, I've seen at least 50 shows in my trips to the South Pacific, yes ol' Tiki has been up front dancing many times. I say this as I have a good basis to judge show quality. The show at Tiki Village is very good at night when they have a full cast. The only other 'major' show that is better is the show at the IC Tahiti.

The best small show I've been to was at Crusher's Bar on the island of Aitutaki. That was back in the day when things were not so commericalized in the South Pacific.

Archived