15 May On Mariner Review

Just got back last night from the 15 May - 22 May Eastern Caribbean cruise and wanted to get started on a review. I am at work so the first episode will be short to highlight the good and bad. Mostly good.

My family of 10 stayed Saturday night at the Comfort Inn and Suites. The hotel is old, but we were very comfortable. The shuttle (Art's) to the port was very efficient.

The embarkation was slow due to a Coast Guard inspection of the ship, so consequently a good number of guests boarded at the same time, which made getting into the Windjammer for lunch almost impossible. However, we went to the Promenade cafe and found food and a table immediately. I believe the embarkation normally would have been okay.

The ship is beautiful and I would sail on her again.

Highlights.

Dinner in Top Hat and Tails. Our waiters were Doni from India and Thomas from Jamaica, were the best we have ever had. If I cruised again on Mariner I would try to request their table.

Cabins (we had 4) were efficiently laid out and our cabin attendent was Henri. He was very good.

The weather was mostly nice with maybe 4-5 foot swells so there was some rolling of the ship. Not bad at all.

The Beatlemania show was awesome, as was the Ice Show and the parade. Somehow we must have missed the first parade.

I thought the food was for the most part excellent, at least as good as any I have had on a cruise. Only one night when I had the pork chop was I disappointed. It was a little tough. We enjoyed the food in the Windjammer, but I think it was slightly better on the Norwegian dream.

I did not take or need duct tape. We did not have the dreaded shower curtain, but an enclosure. We did use post-ems to communicate.

The people in the cabin next to us 9669 came down with something, vomiting and diarhea. Does anyone know if others were sick on this cruise.

This has been my favorite cruise so far.

All for now

Emily of Samemily

We sailed the Mariner a week prior to you to the Western Carib. I LOVE that ship. I'm still suffering from cruise withdrawal.

DH and I are already planning our next cruise...just trying to figure out what ship because we'd like to try something new!

I was also on the ship the 15-22. Did you hear the Bravo call in the afternoon? I heard there was a small fire on the 9th floor. I think it was a curling iron mishap. Neither of us got sick on the ship, except for a sore throat. Beatlemania was fabulous, we loved it.

We were in 9692 for the 5/15 cruise and did not experience any sickness. The fire was in 9345 and we heard it was in an electrical junction box. They never do say what really happens with regards to these things.

I am also ready for another cruise. We go on Carnival out of Long Beach in October. It is a group cruise, otherwise I would have done RC again. I am not sure what caused the fire in 9345, but my daughter's family had cabins 9341 and 9345 and they never found out either.

St Marten was my favorite of these ports, but I like Western Carib better.

The people of St. Marten just seemed friendlier.

One of my daughter's and her family bought the ship excursion to Little Divi, and had a great time. However, they saw nothing when they snorkeled there.

My other daughter made their own way to St. John Cinnamon Bay from St. Thomas and when they snorkeled off the beach they saw lots of fish. They also had the beach almost to themselves. This was definitely their favorite.

Emily of Samemily

thanks for the review. We will be on the Mariner on 6/12 also an Eastern- ( my favorite is also Western cruises, but the friends we are traveling have never been to these ports - anyway my questions:

What night is a good night for going to either of the specialty restaurants? and do you have an idea of a preference if you only choose one? we want to have a special night to celebrate our 25th anniversary-- but don't want to miss a great dinner in the regular dining room..

are there any good quiet places to read on the ship -- outside- but in a shady spot?

Do you know if they have a lot of classes in the gym... besides the ones they charge for like -yoga and pilates?

Did you have to fight for seats for the shows? Last year we were on the Carribean Princess and the shows were very crowded the first nights - but they neglected to tell people they would rerun the shows later in the week and the second time around they were empty...did they repeat any shows?

any other suggestions? ( We've been to the ports.. so mainly suggestions for the ship) were there a lot of tux wearers? what nights are formal?

thanks.. and these questions go out to any of you who recently got off the ship... I guess you are all missing it aleady and planning your next cruises!

RoRothman - I suggest checking the dining room menu everyday to see what you may like. I remember fro my cruise to the W. Carib. on 05/08 that Wed when we were in Ochos Rios it was caribbean night so they had lots of seafood on the menu like shrimp and stuff. Thursday night which was the 2nd formal night was Italian and on Friday they served the shrimp & lobster tails! I know if I did it again, I'd probably skip dinner on Wed night. That night the dining room seemed more empty. If you choose a speciality restaurant I heard that Chops is excellent and the filet mignon is to die for!

As for the shows, I don't remember having to fight for a seat. The good thing is they usually run two shows, one for early seating diners and another for late seating so it works out perfectly. They have a great ice show that you must see and they do hand out tickets for those so make sure you go and get one!!

The formal nights were on Monday and Thursday and I didn't think there were man tux wearers. My DH wore a suit and tie and he looked nice. It just depends on you!

I hope you guys have a wonderful time on the Mariner. We enjoyed it so much! We've already started to plan our anniversary cruise for next year!

Have a wonderful time and happy anniversary!! :)

ski,

you definitely don't want to miss Beatlemania or the ice show or the last parade.

RoRothman,

We did not eat at either of the specialty restaurants, so I can't recommend either one. We ate every night in dining room.

There are several quiet places outside to read, just don't try the pool deck, it was pretty noisy. I was with my grandchildren most of the time, so I cannot say exactly where these places are, just that I passed them by. I believe Deck 4 was always shady, but sometimes people are playing shuffleboard.

I did not go to the gym, sorry.

We never had any trouble getting seats for the shows. We did get there about 15 minutes early.

I am so ready to go again. I could spend all my time on the ship and it would not bother me.

Tips:

The general store has several convenience items and are very reasonable.

The quavaberry rum at St. Marten was a must to buy for us, even though we don't drink. It is the only place you can find it. I guess I might use it in recipes.

Windjammer, in the mornings, waiters bring around a tray of green tea and honey. It was good.

If you can't find a seat in the Windjammer, carry it out on deck. We could usually find a table there.

All for now.

Have fun on your cruise, ski and rorothman

This has been very helpful. I am also sailing on 6/12 with DH, parents, and sister.

It will be our second cruise and parents 1st.

What were some of the other shows?

Did you have trouble getting tickets to the Ice Show?

RoRothman

The general store is a store on the Promenade Deck. Hope you have as much fun as I did.

mjcox8812

I believe there were comedians a couple nights and RCI singers and dancers the other nights. I only went to the Beatlemania show and the Ice show. Also the parade down the Promenade.

I had no trouble getting Ice Show tickets.

Hope you have a great time.

Taylor,

The cruise director I think was kirk Detweiler. Not sure.

Samemily

Ok.. There's a $20 charge per a person for both places ( chops & Portofino ). You must see the the Beatlemania show. The dancers where ok.. I took my son to the parades that they had at nite in the promanade. You have to get there early if you want a good seat..

You can ask Guest Relations for a copy of the Dining menues for the week and a copy of the menues for Chops & Portofino's , we did and it helps out alot.

Archived