Sail and Sign Question

Lt.Dan

I'm planning on using my Visa CheckCard when setting up my sign and sail account. When they scan my CheckCard, how much in available funds does it require to approve the card? I guess Im asking how much in funds will i need in my checking account to use the Visa check Card.

Thanks,

Lt.Dan

From what i understand...You would have to have that amount that you want to place on your card...like for instance your deposit of let's say $250.00. Any other funds would not be available for a cash withdrawl using that card from that bank account untill that $250.00 is paid in full ..which is the the last day of your cruise. I hope this helps you. :)

Heres' what happens in the case of a debit card:

An initial hold of $50 is placed agains the card, then additional holds are placed daily for the amount of each day's transactions aboard ship.

At the conclusion of the cruise, the card is charged for the total amount of your S&S account activity.

WARNING: Carnival does *NOT* cancel the daily holds when processing the final charge. The holds will then naturally expire within 7-10 days. The effect is, your account has been charged *PLUS* there is a temporary hold on an identical amount for up to a week following your cruise.

We also used our bank card on our last cruise.

Here's how it worked for us. Say you have $1000.00 in your cheking account, at sign in they will put a hold of, say, $250.00 per person. On our's it was held that day for the full amount, not pay as you go. So 2 people would be 500.00. That would leave $500.00 available for any other purchases. As you make additional purchases on your card that also reduces your available funds. You can use cash at sign in also, but if you go over your 250.00 you have to pay them before you can disembark.

Hope this helps.

Yes, I'm slow to get this.....I understand that if you don't go over the $500 for 2 people then they don't charge you any extra, but....Tef talks about "holds". Would they charge an additional (temporary) $500??

Yes, I'm slow to get this.....I understand that if you don't go over the $500 for 2 people then they don't charge you any extra, but....Tef talks about "holds". Would they charge an additional (temporary) $500??

That is not how it worked for us. They put a hold on the 500.00 due at sign in. They did not charge us any more money unless you used your sail & sign for any kind of purchase. If you used your card anywhere in fact it deducts your available funds by what you buy.

That is not how it worked for us. They put a hold on the 500.00 due at sign in. They did not charge us any more money unless you used your sail & sign for any kind of purchase. If you used your card anywhere in fact it deducts your available funds by what you buy.

It deducts from the 500.00 they placed on hold right? or is your card charged more then the original 500.00

From my exp. the hold was never that much. If you call Carnival they will tell you the hold is $50.00 pp. They don't mention anything about $50.00 pp, per day, but maybe the reps at Carnival are wrong. That can very well be. Another thing to think about is every bank is diffrent. My bank will not leave ahold on my account for more then 3 days. So for my cruise this Sunday - the hold should come off by Wednesday. I think if you use your debit card you will be fine. Just don't spend more then you have in the account. They make it very easy to follow your costs. Your account can be viewed on your TV in your cabin. I don't prefer paying cash. To me it is a pain if you go over that amount you will have to go down to the pursers desk to add more money. I prefer usuing either a credit card or debit card (which I used last year) Call your TA or Carnival to find out about the hold. Then you may want to call your bank to let them know that there will be a hold on your account. Find out how long your bank will keep that hold on your account.

If you call Carnival about the hold and funds needed to be available let me know what they tell you. I've never had a problem but after viewing so many other posts I've been hearing diff. things about how much they actually hold. I was a little concerned this year because my deposit isn't going through till Tuesday and my cruise is Sunday. That is why I inquired about the hold and they said $50.00 :rolleyes:

Ok, I just called my Bank and Carnival. Carnival said they Charge(Hold Funds) 200.00 per person on the Check/Debit card when you arrive. Then your card is charged the last night of the cruise for the Sign and sail account amount. It all depends on your bank how long it takes for the held funds to be released from your account. My Bank said after 24 hours the held funds are released.

Lt Dan: The problem with the visa debit cards come with people who have a daily limit set on the card. (I have a 200 daily limit. so that limit must be lifted before I go on a cruise or I will find that I am introuble- evn though I have thousands of dollars I only have 200 a day- carnival relases the hold on the last day and does not put my charges in daily. (as long as you dont have a daily limit you will be fine.

Lt Dan: The problem with the visa debit cards come with people who have a daily limit set on the card. (I have a 200 daily limit. so that limit must be lifted before I go on a cruise or I will find that I am introuble- evn though I have thousands of dollars I only have 200 a day- carnival relases the hold on the last day and does not put my charges in daily. (as long as you dont have a daily limit you will be fine.

Yea, My bank said I have a 610.00 a day limit on my card.

ok, this is how it works. Carnival has changed their policy on the hold. Your initial hold is $50.00. The first day of your ship they will run $50.00. Everytime you spend over $50.00 they will then put another hold for $50.00 and that will continue throughout the week. They just do this to make sure the funds are actually in your account. They no longer put an initial $200.00 hold on your account. If you have purchased bar credit and/or funship dollars you don't have to worry about all the additional holds.

You could call Carnival 5 times with the same question and talk to 5 differnt people and get 5 different answers. Sorry to say that the people that work for Carnival are not well informed sometimes.

As long as you dont go over that 610 for the entire week you will be fine. If you dont go over the 610 then you dont have to worry about the daily hold. That amount show show on your account the last day of the cruise--- into the next day. so if you spent 605 on the ship for the week-- do not attempt to make a purchase at the airport or at home that particular day.

When you first get onboard your account will show a -140.00 for two people for tips on a 7 day cruise. Thats on your account the first minute before you even breath any of the cruise ships air--lol

I agree with Serene about Carnival. But this policy just went into effect so I think it is say to say that the initial hold is now $50.00. And like Serene mentioned...as long as you don't go over the amount that you will have in your account by the end of your cruise :-)

P.S: I sail on the Valor this Sunday so I will let you know how everything works out.

Serene -- still no room assignment.

Well the first day you would blow out that $50... tips are the first thing applied, so on a 7 day cruise, they have to take AT LEAST $70pp as a hold... not sure why they would do just $50, you would be over that by the time you stepped on the ship.

Well the first day you would blow out that $50... tips are the first thing applied, so on a 7 day cruise, they have to take AT LEAST $70pp as a hold... not sure why they would do just $50, you would be over that by the time you stepped on the ship.

Yea, your tips are charged instantly, so that blows that 50 then some...there is 3 of us in my group, so that 210.00 Right there charged

Archived