Which ship best for kids?

3redheads

Fantasy Class that do the 3 & 4 Day or 4 & 5 Day are very Family Oriented especially in the Summer and Holiday times. Lots of Families and Lots of Kids havin a grand ol time. That's when the Camp Carnivals are really in full gear and Funship Freddie is everywhere. The 7 day and especially longer cruises draw from an older crowd. Fantasy Class( Fantasy,Imagination, Fascination,Sensation,Inspiration, I think there are 8 of them all together) Ideal size ships with all the bells and whistles (Pool Slide Etc.) for Families easy to manuever on. HAPPY CRUZIN !!!!!!:cool:

I believe all of Carnival's ships have the camp carnival.

The ship I was on ( victory ) was an all age cruise. From babies to and 86 yr old that I spoke to.

The lido deck can be a FUN area if you choose to sit and take part.

I've been on Disney and on Carnival one time each and I liked Carnival the best.

Have fun

Our son is 5..going on 6. By now he is a seasoned cruiser. His first one was a crossing on the QE2 when he was 18 months. We've also done a 3 day RCL and a 7 day Alaskan on the Norweigan Dawn. Last year, we took a family (3 cabins) cruise on the Victory out of Miami. It was over Christmas week, so it was PACKED with kids. Camp Carnival was absolutely perfect for him. Kept him busy during the day, Let us have uninterrupted dinners at night, and some fun family pool time in between (Actualy more time spent NEAR the pool than IN it, it wasn't great weather). Mattr of fact, we planned our summer vacation with Carnival (7 night..Miracle) BECAUSE of the great sucess we've had.

Enjoy!

How old are the kids? It really does matter....As much as it pains me to say this, I have to agree with Tef, Disney IS best for younger ones, and then I'd say my kids preferred RCL as they got older, but really, kids love all ships so long as they have a good kids program, and most do....well. except for NCL, I've got to say I wasn't impressed with their kids facilities or programs.

We took our son on the Triumph when he was 4. He loved it and we could barely get him to spend any time with us! He adored the camp. It's a shame that Carnival STILL can't get rid of that "party boat" stigma from the 80's. Yes, it can get wild around the pool on sea days but if that's not your scene don't hang around right around the pool. I don't. There are quieter spots away from all that...although I once did watch the hairy chest contest and it was hilarious! Or better yet, sit on your balcony, if you get one (that's my favorite activity.) As far as the lounges, everyone was well-mannered and behaved. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. We were a little worried like you but it was great. My mother who was 62 at the time and does not like that rowdy "party scene" had a blast and she's very picky. She thoroughly enjoyed it.

We're taking our son on the Glory in June and he absolutely can't wait. He's 9 now. I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have about our experience. Good luck in making your decision!

I am a 40+ something single mom of many years. I have two boys of whom I have taken on 2 different cruises. Our first time out was the Sensation in the fall of 02. I got a super last minute deal and we had a super time! Our last time was on the Triumph in June of 03 and once again, we had a fantastic time. I'm not sure where this "party boat" stereotype stuff truly comes from. I would not take my boys on any "party boat" type atmosphere for our vacation. The first time out they were only 11 and 7. Both boys enjoyed Camp Carnival. To be honest, I don't even recall seeing anyone loud or obnoxious or drunk on any of our days on a ship. I think all of us former Carnival cruisers should help newbies to understant that Carnival is ALL age groups...and its a wonderful way to vacation. I met some wonderful folks on both cruises. :)

I checked into a Disney cruise and they want an outrageous amount of money so I would doubt we would ever do that. Why spend that kind of money when Carnival has shown us twice what a great cruise company they are? I'm not knocking Disney at all...just stating that there price is more than double a Carnival cruise.

I am about to remarry this Memorial day weekend and we are going out on the Valor for our honeymoon. This is my new husbands first time cruising...I can't wait to see his reaction.

good day,

Esmerelda :)

We've sailed Carnival, RCL, and Norwegian and have never found much difference between them when it comes to kids. We had 600 kids on our Norwegian Dawn cruise and never noticed it. If you prefer people who call it a night before 10pm, then try Celebrity or Crystal Cruises. If you like fun, then stick with the funships.

We've never sailed Carnival. Always heard they were party boats, but lately, I've heard there are some ships that are geared toward families.

Some of the newer ships have more extensive facilities for kids than do the older ships. Our kids had a great time aboard Victory last year. The dining room staff loved having the boys at dinner and were actually disappointed when they dined with their Camp Carnval friends instead. We did note that Conquest (this year's cruise) has a larger dedicated kids' space; there is a separate teen disco for them. (On Victory, they had Club Arctic until 10:30 and then had to leave. Not a problem for our oldest - he was ready to go to bed at that point anyway.)

We have found it's not the size of the Camp Carnival but the quality and personality of the counslers each ship has. Some have great teams while others not as good. I think they rotate the camp counslers and there is a high turn over rate too as many are just along for an exotic traveling job.

Carnival has good programs. In comparison to others they may be tops if you take Disney out of the mix. No body can do it like Disney on the little ones and that's to be expected but Carnival does a good job at keeping them entertained for a week. A lot also has to do with how well behaved the other kids are that week. You get 3 or 4 real roudy ones in there and they can spoil it for the whole group and make it hard on the counslers to do a good job.

I will give you the positives and negative of 2 different cruises...We have done both Disney and Carnival (Pride) with My DD, age 6. She gives the thumbs up to BOTH, but she prefers Disney's kids club because it is bigger, has the characters, and has more interesting and fun activities. Another thing that bothered her about Carnival, was if there weren't enough kids in the 6-8 age group, they would close that side of camp, and put her and some of the older kids with the toddlers.

They did have some fun and educational activites aboard the Carnival Pride. She got to help build, paint, and explode a volcano. They made "goo" which is like flubber on Disney. They had a scavenger hunt, decorated cookies, painted T-shirts etc...She had a great time, and would ask each morning after breakfast to go back.

One thing that bothered me about Carnival a bit was that they have several times where they are closed. We would take her to camp, and then maybe have to pick her up an hour later because they were closing for lunch or whatever...On Disney the camp is virtually open ALL THE TIME! If your child wants, they can stay all day long.

Unfortunately, Disney's prices are so incredibly outrageous now that we can't see spending thousands more for better camp activities. Carnival is a great line, affordable, and the counselors in the camp are loving and kind.

If money is no object...then go with Disney. Otherwise, I'm sure your kids will like Carnival. They won't know what they are missing! (LOL);)

Good luck and have fun planning!!

We've taken our teens on 4 Carnival cruises (Ecstacy, Victory, Conquest & Triumph), #5 coming up this Christmas. We were discussing switching to RCI this year & dd begged to stay with Carnival as she always has a great time.

Thanks for the responses. DD is 12 and DS is 7. We just did the Disney cruise and they had a blast, but it is sooooo expensive. We actually re-booked while onboard at a cost of $7700 (including 10% discount for re-booking onboard)

The cost now is over $9000! I refuse to pay that much!

We canceled and switched to Royal Caribbean for $3000 less! Our next two cruises are with RCCL, but we're open to other cruise lines.

I will have to check out some of the newer Carnival ships for a future cruise.

I'm always planning :D

Thanks so much!

Kim

My daughter celebrated her 7th birthday on the Disney Wonder in Sept. 2004 in January 2005 we went on the Victory

My daughter much more prefered Camp Carnival over Disney's Oceaneer Club.

the type of activities on Camp Carnival appealed to her more.

Which ever cruise you choose, will be a god one.

:)

Thanks for the responses. DD is 12 and DS is 7. We just did the Disney cruise and they had a blast, but it is sooooo expensive. We actually re-booked while onboard at a cost of $7700 (including 10% discount for re-booking onboard)

The cost now is over $9000! I refuse to pay that much!

We canceled and switched to Royal Caribbean for $3000 less! Our next two cruises are with RCCL, but we're open to other cruise lines.

I will have to check out some of the newer Carnival ships for a future cruise.

I'm always planning :D

Thanks so much!

Kim

Thanks Kim, I hear you about the expense of Disney, we're waiting 3 more years before we go there again to bring my little nephews who've never experienced it, it's great, but sooooo pricey.

Anyway, I think you made the right choice with RCL, my boys liked it as much as Disney, and at their ages now, they like it better. In fact, the Explorer class on RCL would be their number 1 pick (not necessarily mine, which would be Celebrity), but it would be theirs. Have fun, kids love cruises no matter which line you choose.

I'm not sure where this "party boat" stereotype stuff truly comes from. I would not take my boys on any "party boat" type atmosphere for our vacation. The first time out they were only 11 and 7. Both boys enjoyed Camp Carnival. To be honest, I don't even recall seeing anyone loud or obnoxious or drunk on any of our days on a ship. I think all of us former Carnival cruisers should help newbies to understant that Carnival is ALL age groups. :)

Allow me to shed some light on where the image comes from. My kids have cruised 7 times on different lines. On our last cruise (Glory), we had some drunk women who stumbled home everynight (morning, like at 3 am), cursing, banging on the walls and yelling "I'm going to have sex tonight" down the hallway. When I came out and told them to be quiet because they had babies trying to sleep next to them, they proceeded to imitate a crying baby by pretend "crying" loudly. They were the most obnoxious jerks I've ever encountered anywhere, period. The second night security was called (by several people) and they were threatened with disembarkation. They weren't loud after that, but they were seen every night in the disco falling down drunk.

I guess you could say that instances like that might account for Carnival's tarnished image, which is too bad for Carnival, because I think they're trying to change it.:(

Allow me to shed some light on where the image comes from. My kids have cruised 7 times on different lines. On our last cruise (Glory), we had some drunk women who stumbled home everynight (morning, like at 3 am), cursing, banging on the walls and yelling "I'm going to have sex tonight" down the hallway. When I came out and told them to be quiet because they had babies trying to sleep next to them, they proceeded to imitate a crying baby by pretend "crying" loudly. They were the most obnoxious jerks I've ever encountered anywhere, period. The second night security was called (by several people) and they were threatened with disembarkation. They weren't loud after that, but they were seen every night in the disco falling down drunk.

I guess you could say that instances like that might account for Carnival's tarnished image, which is too bad for Carnival, because I think they're trying to change it.:(

that is so funny, becasue I think she may have been on the Disney Wonder with me in Sept. There was a family from across the hall from us on the Wonder ( they had a balcony cabin ) that were that drunk all 3 nights and they would come back to the cabin and put their kids to bed and then hit the bars. It made me so nervous about the kids being in that cabin alone while the parents were falling down drunk each night.. Screaming down the halls.......

About how he was going to get his dessert tonight ! LOL

I guess people from all walks of life travel. Not just on Carnival Cruise Line...

LOL

Heck they can even afford Disney..:)

I don't see how this is shedding light on anything, your story could have happened anywhere.

Archived