Island Escape breakdown

Just been reading various reports about IE breaking down and generators failing on Ocotber 31. Windows smashed in heavy seas, water pouring through the ceilings and furniture tipping over!!! All sounds horrendous!!

Just wondered if anyone on here was on it at the time?

omg that sounds awful wonder what thomson will do with it think its been up for sale for a long time

carolynne

the problem is thomson have no say in the matter as Escape is owned by TUI. They gave the ship to (forced it) on Thomson to run it for them. She has been for sale for years with no taker, after all, who wants an old ferry:rolleyes:

Just been reading various reports about IE breaking down and generators failing on Ocotber 31. Windows smashed in heavy seas, water pouring through the ceilings and furniture tipping over!!! All sounds horrendous!!

Just wondered if anyone on here was on it at the time?

Friends of DH were, reported window smashed on deck 8 and water flooded into the theatre, but this happened on 26th/27th

It was also their 1st cruise:eek:

That would be the same incident, it was registered on the 30th by a passenger but probably the first time he had a chance to record it as he was also on board.

It is such a shame for all those first time cruisers, must have been just awful :eek:

That would be the same incident, it was registered on the 30th by a passenger but probably the first time he had a chance to record it as he was also on board.

It is such a shame for all those first time cruisers, must have been just awful :eek:

a bad experience on your first cruise can put you off for life. this summer crossing the bay of biscay we had a horrendous storm on P&O Oceana and apparently passengers were huddled around reception with life jackets on, thinking we were going to sink.

of course it was OK and us experienced cruisers just ordered another bombay and tonic :D

a bad experience on your first cruise can put you off for life. this summer crossing the bay of biscay we had a horrendous storm on P&O Oceana and apparently passengers were huddled around reception with life jackets on, thinking we were going to sink.

of course it was OK and us experienced cruisers just ordered another bombay and tonic :D

As a certain cruise company says............Why Not??? :D

Short memorys some of you have?? exactly the same happened to Louis Majesty Now Thomson Majesty 2 years ago when crossing the bay of lions and 2 people died.

Dave snobbery is a horrible thing :D

It was a bit different, Majesty wasn't drifting in heavy seas in complete darkness. The Majesty was caught by a rogue 26ft wave albeit in heavy sea. Tragic and very sad incident.

Point I picked up on here is the fact that for what seems like the first time ever nobody is jumping up and down over this which must have been really frightening. I'm thinking 'Dream' bad press! I can only think that the whole thing no matter whether there was blame or not must have been very well handled and that is commendable. So, I would be interested to hear from people and their views of what really did or didn't happen.

just spoke to my cousin and her friend is on her now so must be repaired not sure how this trip has gone will let you all know when she gets home tomorrow

carolynne

Thats good, hope she is having a lovely time. Will look forward to the update :)

Just a bit of gossip re Island Escape but you all prob know about it anyway...

About 2 years ago , (but could have been longer although think it was either start or end of season) i was at work ( TA) and a lady came in for some brochures , she was quite nice and chatty and left with an arm full to come straight back in and say she thought we ought to know something about the IE as we were a First Choice shop!

She said her partner worked onboard ( an officer I think but again memory not brilliant ) , she had flown out to spend a few days on board with him when there had been problems discovered. Apparently the ship was rotting under the water line and things were not good. Again details now patchy but she said either passengers moved to another ship or next cruise passengers moved to another ship , again sorry can’t remember which and then repairs started.

She saw photos of the damaged area which had taken a knock apparently which should have been no problem but the rot had meant far more damage and she said there were actual holes in the hull. She went on to list lots more problems with the ship that were being kept under wraps but I cant rem properly so don’t want to say in case I get that wrong!

She seemed a very nice women, not the gossipy type just very worried indeed. She said it was far far worse than the passengers were ever led to believe and potentially very dangerous and the crew were panicking like mad!

She went on to say that before this her stay had been much better than she had ever expected, the food had been lovely and she really liked the ship which she joked was actually nothing like an old ferry.

Does anyone remember anything about this?

Just a bit of gossip re Island Escape but you all prob know about it anyway...

About 2 years ago , (but could have been longer although think it was either start or end of season) i was at work ( TA) and a lady came in for some brochures , she was quite nice and chatty and left with an arm full to come straight back in and say she thought we ought to know something about the IE as we were a First Choice shop!

She said her partner worked onboard ( an officer I think but again memory not brilliant ) , she had flown out to spend a few days on board with him when there had been problems discovered. Apparently the ship was rotting under the water line and things were not good. Again details now patchy but she said either passengers moved to another ship or next cruise passengers moved to another ship , again sorry can’t remember which and then repairs started.

She saw photos of the damaged area which had taken a knock apparently which should have been no problem but the rot had meant far more damage and she said there were actual holes in the hull. She went on to list lots more problems with the ship that were being kept under wraps but I cant rem properly so don’t want to say in case I get that wrong!

She seemed a very nice women, not the gossipy type just very worried indeed. She said it was far far worse than the passengers were ever led to believe and potentially very dangerous and the crew were panicking like mad!

She went on to say that before this her stay had been much better than she had ever expected, the food had been lovely and she really liked the ship which she joked was actually nothing like an old ferry.

Does anyone remember anything about this?

a right barge pole job then, or even don't touch with a diamante studded one :D:D

actually i might consider the old girl but she has single cabins... argh :eek::eek:

just spoke to my cousin and her friend is on her now so must be repaired not sure how this trip has gone will let you all know when she gets home tomorrow

carolynne

hi just spoke to my cousins friend who was on IE last week she said you could c quite a bit of damage from the storm from the week before but she said there was talk on board of the IE having some sort of a refit and nothing about it being sold so dont know what s going on

carolynne

hi just spoke to my cousins friend who was on IE last week she said you could c quite a bit of damage from the storm from the week before but she said there was talk on board of the IE having some sort of a refit and nothing about it being sold so dont know what s going on

carolynne

Presumably staff weren't told about it until after it finished it's last itinery, or general staff anyway, thus they would probably all assume it would be off for it's usual winter refit.

Archived