Carnival Cruiser Sails Royal Caribbean ~ Navigator to Italy, France, Spain ~ 10/28/12

gapearl

your pictures of rome brought back some great memories for me of ths wonderful city.

Thanks a lot! Glad you enjoyed them!

Great review. We were on this cruise aswell, had such a great

time. Love the pic with DH dragon :)

I bet we passed each other at some point during the week! Did you do the crossing to New Orleans too?

From now on every time I fly I will be looking for you or Jackie. I fly BDL to Fll, MCO via ATL at least 4 times a year. Matter of fact I will be flying December 14 coming back on xmas morning. I am assuming you work for the airline that calls Atlanta home.

From now on every time I fly I will be looking for you or Jackie. I fly BDL to Fll, MCO via ATL at least 4 times a year. Matter of fact I will be flying December 14 coming back on xmas morning. I am assuming you work for the airline that calls Atlanta home.

Hi! Actually a few airlines call Atlanta home, including major, regional, and charter airlines. I try to stay as tight lipped as possible about which one on here....since this is a travel board. ;) However, I have met several Cruise Critic members on my flights to a few different cruise port cities. If you ever see us, be sure to say hello! :)

There is only one airline that calls Atlanta home that I know. It's initials stand for "deliver every living thing (to) Atlanta":D

Flew home from Venice through Paris and then ATLANTA to get to Houston last month. Don't know how we managed to go directly from Houston to Paris on the way out, but it could be that even though the Atlanta airline ticketed us, the flight was Air France.

Really enjoyed your posts. Waiting impatiently for the final installments.

There is only one airline that calls Atlanta home that I know. It's initials stand for "deliver every living thing (to) Atlanta":D

Flew home from Venice through Paris and then ATLANTA to get to Houston last month. Don't know how we managed to go directly from Houston to Paris on the way out, but it could be that even though the Atlanta airline ticketed us, the flight was Air France.

Actually it stands for .... Dont Expect Luggage To Arrive LOL :p

on numerous times this is happened...that's why I try not to fly with them anymore....anyway, don't want to Hijack the thread with nonsense

Take your time writing up the last of the trip report ;)

There are several airlines that are ATL based. The one you're referring too is the oldest there, but I'm a firm believer in out with the old and in with the new!! :p

Hello everyone! I hope you guys all had a great Thanksgiving! I'm home sick with a cold, overdosing on orange juice and ready to finish this up. My last post about a week ago was the last day of the cruise, soooooo here I go picking up at debarkation and going right into our time in Barcelona.

Debarkation always sucks. We had so much fun and met so many great people. We were sad to leave the Navigator, but also a little ready to get through these last couple of days in Barcelona so we could get home. We had been gone for 10 days now. Jackie was missing her boyfriend, and I was missing my couch, my dvr, and Chick-Fil-A. We tried to stay in our room as long as we could. I think we were out around 8:30 am. I forced Jackie to do something we hadn't done all week- head to the Windjammer for breakfast.

Poor Jackie. Notice all the carbs on my plate. Two Advil would have been a better breakfast. :rolleyes:

IMG_3297copy.jpg

Debarkation was a breeze. We had our seapass cards swiped one last time and we were off the ship. Lots of people had alarms going off when they tried to leave. I guess they had some unsettled issues with their accounts and had to go back to guest services. We grabbed our suitcases and walked right out the door. No customs forms, checking of passports, nothing. When we made it outside, I noticed people were already arriving to check in for the next cruise, the two week TA crossing to New Orleans. A lot of people did the 6 day and the TA back to back, so a lot of people were leaving the ship with just their purses and backpacks, ready to explore Barcelona as a port day.

We took a very overcrowded shuttle from the port for 2 euros each that took us about 2-3 miles out of the port area. It dropped us off right by the metro and a few taxis. I asked a taxi driver in broken Spanish how much to La Sagrada Familia, since our apartment was right across the street from there. He said about 15 euros, so we decided to take it rather than deal with the metro, our bags, and our hangovers.

We arrived to the apartment around 10:15, much earlier than expected. The apartment owner wasn't scheduled to meet us until 11. The nice owner of a gift shop next door called her for us and she said she was on her way. We sat at a table of the restaurant next door while we waited.

I sat totally fascinated with the beauty of La Sagrada Familia while looking at my pictures on my camera from the day before.

IMG_3305copy.jpg

Jackie still looked like this.

IMG_3304copy.jpg

Hey Jackie, don't ever come to Vegas with me. You'd never last. :p

I found this great little apartment that served as a bed & breakfast on trip advisor. It had great reviews and the price was just right. I believe each of our rooms were about 50 euros a night. The name is Glory's Facade Guest House. There are four bedrooms and two bathrooms split between the bedrooms. All rooms shared the common areas- kitchen, dining room, and living room.

I had the "Picasso" bedroom. There's a large window that opens behind the curtain.

IMG_3458copy.jpg

IMG_3459copy.jpg

Jackie had the "Dali" bedroom.

IMG_3462copy.jpg

Our bathroom we shared came stocked with shampoo, body wash, feminine products, etc.

IMG_3463copy.jpg

The kitchen was stocked with eggs, milk, juice, pastries and bread.

IMG_3512copy.jpg

IMG_3511copy.jpg

IMG_3510copy.jpg

IMG_3509copy.jpg

IMG_3508copy.jpg

We met a nice couple from Paris leaving as we were arriving. The location was perfect. Right across the street is La Sagrada Familia and you have tons of restaurants and gift shops close by. The metro is literally a stone's throw from the front door. A housekeeper comes by every day. I would highly recommend it here if you would like some time in Barcelona before or after your cruise.

www.hireaflat.com

The next few posts will be very picture heavy. There was just so much to take pictures of!

I've recommended doing this many times in my review, but I'll say it again if you weren't paying attention.

Buy your tickets online in advance.

http://www.sagradafamilia.cat/sf-eng/?lang=0

The line was around the block, at least 1-2 hours long. We walked right up to the front, passes in hand. The price to enter the basilica and to go to the top of the tower was 17.30 euros. We paid an extra 4 euros onsite for the walking tour.

Work began on the church in 1882 and Gaudi took over in 1883. When he died in 1926, he left plans behind on how he wanted the church to be built. The building of the church still follows his plan and design today. It will be under construction for about another 14 years. When the church is finished, there will be 18 towers.

IMG_3420copy.jpg

IMG_3309copy.jpg

Lots of little details.

IMG_3317copy.jpg

You won't forget that you're at a construction site.

IMG_3323copy.jpg

Great views of Barcelona from the top.

IMG_3319copy.jpg

IMG_3334copy.jpg

A third facade, Glory Facade, is still being built. It will tell the story of death, the road to God, and the final judgment. Pictures don't do La Sagrada Familia enough justice. It's pretty spectacular. There is so much history and information surrounding it. Like I said earlier with The Vatican, you don't have to be a religious person to come appreciate the artwork and architecture. A visit here on a trip to Barcelona should be mandatory!

IMG_3440copy.jpg

IMG_3449copy.jpg

IMG_3448copy.jpg

IMG_3444copy.jpg

That night we headed to the Las Ramblas area for a flamenco show at Los Tarantos. On the way there, we ran into a group of guys from the ship having dinner. I went to Madrid last year and can tell you that a flamenco show in Spain can be expensive. We paid only 8 euros for a 30 minute show to give us a taste at a very low price. Of course, I bought our tickets online in advance. :)

http://www.masimas.com/en/tarantos

Los Tarantos is very small and intimate.

IMG_3467copy.jpg

My own little pitcher of sangria for 8 euros.

IMG_3470copy.jpg

IMG_3484copy.jpg

IMG_3480copy.jpg

IMG_3481copy.jpg

CHECK OUT THE VIDEO!!!!