Traveling with Teens in Love ??'s

Shercara

Has anyone ever traveled with a teenage couple? We are traveling with our DS (15), his girlfriend and their family, as well as another of his friends and his family.

We are wondering whether to give them a room key or not. They are both GREAT kids but they are young and in love icon_rolleyes.gif

If we don’t give them a key, they will have to track us down every time they want soda or ice cream or milkshakes…. icon_rolleyes.gif

If we do give them a key, – they will have access to empty rooms. icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

We do trust them….. it’s their hormones that concern us icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif!!….. Any ideas?

<font color=blue>WDW 11/3/02 - 11/8/02</font>

<font color=#FF9900>7 day MAGIC 11/9/02 Western Caribbean!</font>

<font color=red>7 day Magic 7/28/01~Our First Taste of the MAGIC!</font></center>countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;07;16;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

7/16/04 Voyager of the Sea NYC Cruise

While I've never been on a cruise, I have worked with teenagers for many years. And on several occasions, I've seen good ones get pregnant.

If they were my kids, I wouldn't give them a key. Maybe take along two-way radios so they can easily find one of you if they need to buy something. Just don't make an issue of it.

If they ask, just tell them you could only get so many keys per room. It's much better than saying that you don't trust them.

I am very strict when it comes to teen behavior so I would be enforcing the rule that you are not permitted in each others cabin. No different than saying you can't go into each others bedroom. I would also have the adults doing a rotating shift of surprise checks back at the rooms. If the kids know that if they break a rule than they will be stuck with the adults for the rest of the week. That alone may be enough to make them think twice. I would set down some rules before you go and do explain that you understand raging hormones but that you expect them to be where they say they will be. There are so many public areas where they can hang out that they really don't need to be in the cabins except to sleep and shower.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;04;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

'Til my next cruise

Thanks cmason, I did check with the cruise line - and no we are not able to disable the room key feature.

We are bringing the 2-ways along - thanks superman.

DFritz - I like the rule about not being allowed in each other's room - I think they would respect that. - I'll have to run it by the girl's family and maybe schedule the impromptu visits to the cabin!

<font color=red>7 day Magic 7/28/01~Our First Taste of the MAGIC!</font></center>countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;07;16;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

hate to burst your bubble, but the room is not the only place that they can find to be alone. just my opinion, but you either trust them or you don't. if they haven't been "intimate" before, then they probably won't just because they are on a cruise, if they have, it probably won't be any different, just doesn't matter where they are. again, don't blast me, this is strictly my opinion.

Proud members of O.A.T.C.

Inspiration Sept,2001

Celebration Jan,2002

Celebration Oct.2002

Conquest Sept, 2003

Elation Feb. 2004

Elation Nov, 2004

am369.gif

from the Alligator capitol of Texas- we dance to the Raggae beat!!!

diver_e0.gif

Rooms are private, the deck space isn't. Cruises are romantic, just being awayform home is ambrosia, I would definatley do " surprise checks" even " good " kids have hormones and giving them opportunity is asking for trouble, sort of like putting a diabetic in charge of the candy store.

And I would like to stress that they may be " good" kids but temptation is pretty strong, and we want our kids to make good decisions , but putting them in a situation like being alone in a bedroom( cabin) is pushing it a bit.

Remember the first time you did "it" , unless you waited till marriage, it was most likely at someones home where the parents were out! ( Or you were away at college!)

Take it from a 21 yr old girl....There are many places besides a cabin room on a ship to be "intimate" I guess not giving them a key is only going to make it harder on them to find a different place! hehehe Kids are having sex at like the age of 12 (or even younger!) these days which I think is completely insane. I wouldn't doubt that something has already happened at 15. Just hope your son and his gf are responsible and trustworthy enough to be safe icon_wink.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;23;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

UnTiL BeRmUdA!!!

Wow...this is a tough one. I have a 16 y/o son, so we have been dealing with these issues over the last 6 months. Unfortunately it only takes "one time" for a pregnancy to occur. I don't know what their future goals are, but they need to think how life changing a teenage pregnancy would be.

Definitely set clear expectations and consequences. I'd let them know that the first violation of your rules will result in spending the rest of the cruise with the adults and an early curfew with frequent room checks. This should be incentive enough to respect your wishes.

I think its also a good idea to acknowledge that you appreciate what great kids they are, and the fact that you are taking them both on this trip shows that you do trust them, but, as their parents it is your responsibility to keep your children safe.

Keep their room keys with you, use the two way radios and meet periodically throughout the day.

It would be a good idea for both sets of parents to sit down with the kids together to show a solid front.

have a great time on your cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;06;06;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

June 6-Golden

Did you know that an aspirin can be used as a 100% foolproof birth control device?

Tell the girl to sit down and place an aspirin on top of one knee. Then have her cross the other leg over the aspirin to hold it in place. Under no circumstances must the apirin ever be uncovered. There is no chance of failure if the instructions are followed precisely.

Completed:

Sea Princess, Royal Princess, Grand Princess (3X), Caribbean Princess, Golden Princess

Coming up:

Tahitian Princess Oct 14/04

Caribbean Princess redux 6/25/05

Thanks for all your replies! It is a tough decision. We will sit down with both of them and both families and go over the rules, but I think we'll hold onto the keys at first, and see how it goes.

Nitemare and bplazo ~I think the chastity belt and the chain would rust in the sea air !

I really like the asprin idea spongerob!

tomc - good idea, but it would have to be the voyager and the empress of the sea since we are sailing out of cape liberty!

LiLBxQt - I was 15 once too, and as you pointed out, – they don’t need an empty room to “be alone†if they want to – but I am just not comfortable giving them the opportunity for making the wrong decision.

Again – thanks to all of you for your input – I really appreciate your concern and humor too!

Take care,

Sher

Are they allowed in each other's bedrooms at home? If not, then this shouldn't be any different. I would trust them at first with the key - but clearly let them know - one violation and it's all over!! Hopefully a strict pre-cruise talk with be sufficient. I can't imagine your son would risk his girlfriend's dad catching them in the middle of something!!!! I like the walkie-talkie idea too! If something is going on and you happen to "beep" in, you would hopefully hear something in the tone of their voice - like they know they got caught. I know when students are lying by the tone of their voice!!

Voyager of the Seas - 05/04

Tahitian Princess - 10/03 (Our Honeymoon)

Carnival Paradise - 08/02

Better than having you do surprise checks slip the cabin steward an extra 50.00 and see if he can check on the cabin every half hour or hour.. that way you all can go on your way and not worry about empty rooms.. icon_biggrin.gif

Jeff Cox - Rookie Cruiseer

ms WesterDam 5/31

jeffpcox@yahoo.com

"Ahhhh, so sorry to disturb, sir, ma'am. Parents on way back. Hurry and finish. For twenty-five dollohs U.S., I can fix up bed, parents never know, all week. How you say, wink wink nudge nudge?"

icon_wink.gif

Put "Cruise Critic" in e-mail subject line: tomcarten@hotmail.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"Ahhhh, so sorry to disturb, sir, ma'am. Parents on way back. Hurry and finish. For twenty-five dollohs U.S., I can fix up bed, parents never know, all week. How you say, wink wink nudge nudge?"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He he he... I guess tipping the room steward works both ways! That was great!icon_smile.gif

We took my 16-year-old nephew on the Navigator last August. He shared a cabin adjoining ours with my Mom. The first night he met a girl and they "fell in love". Those cruise ships are so romantic!! The 3rd or 4th night, we came back from the late show and Mom went into the bathroom and put on her PJ's. She was getting ready to crawl into bed when all of a sudden the balcony curtain blew open and he and the new girlfriend fell into the room kissing..almost right onto the bed!! They had been out on the balcony and Mom didn't know it. It scared her half to death but also made her wonder what would have happened if she wouldn't have been there! They kind of laughed and he said "Oh...she wanted to see what the balcony looked like!" My husband had a little talk with him the next day (we thought it would be less embarassing for him that way) and told him that we didn't want him having anybody in the cabin and we didn't have any more trouble. As a matter of fact, he's still "dating" this girl and she lives in Texas and we live in Illinois. She's even been up to visit him once, with her Mom. They talk online a lot and on the phone. I guess those ships do create....and advance romance!!! So....just be careful!!!

Car Destiny-W Caribbean-6/1/00

Sovereign - Bahamas - 6/15/01

Star Princess-Alaska-7/16/02

Navigator-E Caribbean-8/02/03

Mariner-W Caribbean-01/25/04

Caribbean Princess - 9/25/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;09;25;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

UNTIL THE CARIBBEAN PRINCESS !!!!!!

Kathi

Kathi_Whale001.gif

LOVE THE VOYAGER AND GRAND CLASS!!! BUT ANY SHIP WILL DO!!!

Shercara,

I skipped over several replies so if this has already been said, just ignore it.

I was very strict with my kids but, above all, I was open and honest with them. I taught them how I expected them to handle their dating years and then I trusted them.

And, I never broke a promise to my kids and they knew that, if breaking a rule brought on restrictions they didn't want, I still never changed my mind (promise) and followed through with it. Lay the law down and then trust them but don't threaten them and not follow through with it. However you handle this, do it with total honesty.

And, don't forget, if they do the cruise to your expections, tell them how good you feel about it.

Bibb

From the North banks of the Piscataqua.

<font color="red>Test</font>

Shercara,

Something you don't mention is how long have they been together? I noticed on your post that the ship doesn't leave until July. Maybe I was just fickle, but at 15, I don't think any of my romances lasted more than a few months. There might not be anything to worry about by then. You also mention that your son's friend is going. Unless the friend has a girlfriend on the trip, your son will be torn between who to entertain. If you happen to notice the friend by himself, it might be time to see if the cabin is OK.

Being a teen, I would say the "Don't go into each other's room" and the surpise checks are the best way.

July 1997 - Galaxy

July 1998 - Grandur of the Sea

June 1999 - Rembrant

April 2000 - Paradise

December 2000 - Century

July 2001 - Zenith

December 2001 - Norwegien Star

June 2002 - Constellation

April 2003 - Millennium

December 2003 - Legend Of The Seas

More to come

Archived