Juneau Helicopter - Mendenhall or 4 Glacier?

Jackie V

We are booked on the Sapphire Princess 8/21. My husband and I are travelling with our kids ages 12 and 9. We would like to do a helicopter tour with the kids where you can walk on the glacier. We're thinking about doing this in Juneau. Princess offers the Mendenhall Glacier tour for $215 per peron, which does 30 minutes of flight and 25 minutes on the glacier. Or, they also have the 4 glacier helicopter tour for $259 per person, which is 35 minutes of flight and 15 minutes on the glacier. Any recommendations between the two? The longer glacier treks are probably too expensive and too long to capture the attention of the kids. We would love to do the helicopter/dogsledding adventure, but the Princess price of $449 would break the bank for all four of us.

I know there are also tour operators out there that offer similar excusions, but not sure why I would use them unless there was a significant price or quality difference?

We will also be on the 8/21 Sapphire (we also have kids 9 & 12 but are not bringing them because I didn't think they'd be alot of kids on board) & my sister-in-law is getting married on the ship & it just seemed to be such a bigger expense).

We're doing the Helicopter tour in Juneau with Coastal at $185/person - 30 less than the cruise line.

You should probably email them directly and ask. They are pretty responsive. Additionally, since they are a popular tour operator, you probably want to email them just to make sure that they still have room for your cruise. I heard someone complaining that they tried to book back in March for a July excursion and Temsco was already sold out!

I booked my July excursion back in January.

Anyhow, I can tell you that they do require a $50 deposit which they will charge to your credit card. The balance will be due the day you arrive for your excursion and there is a 24 hour cancellation policy. If for some reason your ship misses the port due to weather or any other unexpected reason, you will get a full refund.

I have gone with Coastal and highly recommend them, they are your cheapest option and give an excellent tour. A significant reason to consider this independent is for their far more personal tours, some ship contracted trips are almost shuttle like. :)

Okay, thank you. I will give Coastal a try, and look forward to meeting the other cruise critic folks on the ship! I guess I am still looking for a recommendation on whether to do the Mendenhall or the Four glacier - maybe Coastal doesn't offer both?

Okay, thank you. I will give Coastal a try, and look forward to meeting the other cruise critic folks on the ship! I guess I am still looking for a recommendation on whether to do the Mendenhall or the Four glacier - maybe Coastal doesn't offer both?

Mendenhall is flown by TEMSCO, it is no better/worse than any of the glaciers that are landed at. Just more well known. Glaciers are in a constant state of chance, always a unique experience.

Just back from Alaska on the Volendam. We did the Dog Sledding tour out of Juneau ( yes its expensive) BUT its was the most amazing thing I have ever done & that was the comments from EVERYONE who did it!!!!!! The types of glaciers you saw were the best we saw anywhere. We also did the Valley of the Glaciers out of Skagway and landed on the glacier as well, still awesome but the scenery was different and the trip a lot shorter.

Hi Jackie -- My son and I will be on Serenade of the Seas next week. In Juneau, we will be doing the Mendenhall Glacier landing. I booked directly through TEMSCO and the cost is $199/per person. The other glacier flights were a lot more expensive, and after paying $400 pp for dogsledding in Skagway, I needed to cut back on costs. I booked directly through TEMSCO to get a time that worked best for us, leaving time to see the town, because we are not in Juneau for that long.

Cuddlepie, although I'm not too keen on riding in a helicopter, I'm also excited about the dogsledding trip. I just hope the clouds part long enough on both days so that the helicopters will get to fly!

Laurie

Laurie,

Please provide us with your review of your excursions when you return. I am also doing the dogsledding in Skagway with DH. We are still debating the helicopter in Junea since we also have the chance to land on Denali (aka McKinley) during our post-cruise land tour. Would love to hear you opinions since you will be doing a couple of the items on our list.

Have a great cruise!!!

Laurie,

Please provide us with your review of your excursions when you return. I am also doing the dogsledding in Skagway with DH. We are still debating the helicopter in Junea since we also have the chance to land on Denali (aka McKinley) during our post-cruise land tour. Would love to hear you opinions since you will be doing a couple of the items on our list.

Have a great cruise!!!

Hi Jax,

You bet I'll be writing a review of our cruise, complete with my, and my teen son's, opinions of everything. I have my journal already packed! Of course, they will be just that -- opinions from a newbie cruiser -- but I hope they will be helpful nonetheless.

One week from tonight we will be on our way, and ohhh yes, I WILL have a great cruise, even if it rains all week (assuming the trips are a GO anyway). Hey, us So. Californians are quite used to rain this year (hope that didn't hurt the wineries in Temecula). I will turn 51 the day we see Hubbard Glacier -- it will be nice to see something older than I am!:D

Laurie

Laurie, the dogsled tour was really incredible. 3 1/2 hours in total for the trip. The glaciers we saw were the deep blue saw tooth effect......AWESOME I can tell you. The dog sled camp was like somewhere lost in the clouds!!! So cold that your face hurt BUT so exhilarating. I cant rave enough about it. We are Aussies so the trip all up, ended up costing about $1150 for 2, but I dont regret one penny. If it was the only excursion we did I would have been very happy. But it all depends what you are into.;)

Cuddlepie, your description and excitement is only adding to OUR excitement about this trip! I knew it would be expensive, but it's something we just have to do (I'll worry about paying for it later). Keep your fingers crossed that the weather allows us to do it!

Laurie

Hi Laurie,

Can't wait to read your review. Your energy is infectious!

Rain...it's been an interesting year. Can't believe this didn't come from an El Nino. We did okay out here. The grapes are beautiful. Lovely foliage. Our balloon and wine festival is coming up...I think it is this weekend in fact. One advantage we do have is that the majority of the vines are on graded hillsides. Keeps the water from settling and drowning the plants at a tender moment. If nothing else, they at least got some good water from Mother Nature instead of the nasty stuff we get from the water district. Blech! :p

Santa Clarita...you guys must have had a ton of rain. Lots of mountains. Any mudslides in your area? I lost track of all the places that did get hit horribly. I love the coast but don't think I will ever buy a house there (like I could afford it! :eek: ).

One more wish for a great cruise!

Archived