HAL Maasdam Out of Norfolk

We were on the Maasdam 2/28 to 3/10 out of Norfolk. If I can answer any of your questions, just ask. It was wonderful. so wonderful that we have already booked for March 3, 2006.

We're just up the road in Germantown and sailed the Maasdam the first week in April. For everything you ever wanted to know (and we're afraid to ask) go here to our journal: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=172519

Thank you Su and Andy. That was a wonderful and very informative review. Your descriptions of the meals were especially enjoyable. Thanks for sharing.

We too were on the February 28th to March 10th cruise. Had heard alot of negative remarks prior to sailing, but have to say except for missing Half Moon Cay, which we really wanted to see, everything on the crusie was top notch. The service was great, the food was excellent. The seas were a little rough the first night out of Norfolk, but that had nothing to do with the cruiseline. Would highly recommend it. Would probably do it again, but we are looking for cruise to or from Hawai next year for our 35th and can only do one cruise a year, unfortunately. We have only done one other crusie, RC, and I have to admit, I like HAl better, smaller ship, could really find your way around...no regrets.:)

I, too, am considering cruising the Maasdam in 2006. I am in the process of deciding between the Noordam (4/5/06 - 4/15/06) leaving NYC or the Maasdam (3/25/06 - 4/5/06) out of VA. I've cruised only one other HAL ship, the Zuiderdam, and had a pleasant experience. I am drawn to the Noordam because she will be brand new (could also be a negative) but don't like leaving during 'tax time' (we are last minute tax people). I perused all of the suggested reviews of the Maasdam and found them to be favorable. The itinerary is also very appealing.

Any suggestions on Maasdam cabin selection (probably booking a verandah suite)? Any other pros/cons to aid in my decision process would be appreciated.

We too were on the February 28th to March 10th cruise. Had heard alot of negative remarks prior to sailing, but have to say except for missing Half Moon Cay, which we really wanted to see, everything on the crusie was top notch. The service was great, the food was excellent. The seas were a little rough the first night out of Norfolk, but that had nothing to do with the cruiseline. Would highly recommend it. Would probably do it again, but we are looking for cruise to or from Hawai next year for our 35th and can only do one cruise a year, unfortunately. We have only done one other crusie, RC, and I have to admit, I like HAl better, smaller ship, could really find your way around...no regrets.:)

We were on that same trip, too!! It was VERY disappointing to miss HMC, wasn't it?:(

Sweetiefeetie's sister here. We were on the same cruise and have already booked it for next March 3rd. I don't think you will have any regrets. As for choosing a stateroom, we had a Verandah (B) and loved it. For the Southern Carib. I would recommend Port side (which is what we had). Beautiful views from your verandah at all ports. We tried to get the same cabin for 2006 but had to settle for the one next door. Originally we booked a BB but ended up with a B. Sweetie Feetie was a deck above us in an A. It was the same cabin, just a deck higher. I liked the convenience of the smaller ship. Everything was easy to get too. After having been on the Millennium in its first season, I'm not sure I myself would go on a new mega-sized ship again. We had engine trouble and missed a port ... and that was a brand new ship. I highly recommend the Maasdam (obviously, or I wouldn't have already booked for next year). Whichever you choose, have a wonderful time.

Cheric, thanks. Cat. B was what I was leaning towards, and I will definetely go port side. That is the same category we stayed in on the Z and the accomodations were the best we've seen. It seems the cabins on the Maasdam are apparently smaller than those on the Z, does anyone know if the balcony's are comparable? We used our balcony daily to eat breakfast, is there room enough?

Cheric, I agree, I love the intimacy of a smaller ship. Having sailed the Voyager, I found it overwhelming and confusing. I think I will avoid those super-ships and stick with the smaller ships. Thanks!

I think you will be happy in a B category. I haven't been on any other HAL ship but the Maasdam, but in comparison to the Galaxy and Millennium (X), the rooms were much larger and the storage space was more than enough! For the eleven night cruise there were three formal nights. The majority of people were "dressed to kill". It is so much fun getting myself and DH dressed up. That's one of the things I like the most about cruising. It's not something we do very often in our every day life. If you need any information, just ask. I'm so excited about going again next March that I've already filled out my immigration forms on line and am planning my wardrobe in my head. Have also found some great bargains to put away for next spring.

I, too, am considering cruising the Maasdam in 2006. I am in the process of deciding between the Noordam (4/5/06 - 4/15/06) leaving NYC or the Maasdam (3/25/06 - 4/5/06) out of VA.

My husband and I are about ready to book the 3/25/2006 Maasdam cruise and are looking at staterooms, too. This will be our first cruise. I haven't seen a roll-call for it yet...

JodyM

Archived