Tour Operator for JVD needed

SomewhereBeyondTheSea

Hello all,

I have been going back and forth with BV1360. I may still go with them, but I would like to know of other tour operators that go directly to JVD. I'd rather not use the ferry and would prefer to not pay in full at time of booking which BV1360 wants. Most excursions that I've booked outside of the Cruise Lines request a card to hold the reservation, but do not require full payment until you get back to port. Are there any reasonable priced charter companies?

From our limited experience on Tortola (7 yrs) there are 5 main ways to get to Josts from Tortola -

Ferry out of West End

Water taxi out of Cane Garden Bay

Day sail with Kuralu, Patouche, Aristocat, or another cat operator.

Privare charter through Patouche or another operator.

Swim :p

From our limited experience on Tortola (7 yrs) there are 5 main ways to get to Josts from Tortola -

Ferry out of West End

Water taxi out of Cane Garden Bay

Day sail with Kuralu, Patouche, Aristocat, or another cat operator.

Privare charter through Patouche or another operator.

Swim :p

Thanks :-) I will look into the Private Charter. I booked through Patouche for an excursion to The Baths and they were great, so if they are reasonably priced to charter a boat, maybe that would be an option. Otherwise the other tours mentioned do not go directly to JVD w/o making other stops.

What is the difference between water taxi and ferry? I hear sometimes the boats are not able to anchor. Would this be a concern with taking the ferry and or water taxi?

Yes the typical Kuralu and other operator excursions are too long for cruise ship passengers to take advantage of. Joe has some smaller boats that can take you out to the Willie T or Josts. There is no dock at White Bay. On a cat you'll get dropped in ankle deep water, in a motor boat waist deep. The water taxis are privately-owned smaller motor boats that are out of CGB, they will drop you at either White Bay or Great Harbor and pick you up later. You can spend some time in GH at Foxy's, and then taxi over to White bay and Soggy $ Bar. You have to check ahead to make sure they're available.

The ferry is out of West End and drops you at Great Harbor where there is a dock.

We just returned from JVD and did use BVI360 and had a great time. It was booked on line (pay pal) and met at the dock with a viewable sign and put in their transportation to West End docks. The drive was 25 minutes to other dock and then took a small boat over to JVD. We were able to pull right up on to the sand so did not have to swim in as with the cruise excursions. A few pain killers later and lunch we returned to West End and were provided with the ride back to the ship.

We just returned from JVD and did use BVI360 and had a great time. It was booked on line (pay pal) and met at the dock with a viewable sign and put in their transportation to West End docks. The drive was 25 minutes to other dock and then took a small boat over to JVD. We were able to pull right up on to the sand so did not have to swim in as with the cruise excursions. A few pain killers later and lunch we returned to West End and were provided with the ride back to the ship.

How much time did you have on JVD? Right now, I'm tossed between bvi360 w/o any stops or kurula with a stop at sandy spit for snorkeling but only 1-1/2 hr at JVD. Will be traveling w/5 adults and 3 children ages 3, 5 and 8.

Hey, My husband and I are also looking at a private charter to take us to JVD for the February 2nd Carnival Breeze Sailing. We have looked at BIV360 but have read a lot of mixed reviews. We were also looking at Kurula but we would prefer to spend more time at JVD. WOuld you be interested in sharing a private charter so we could both spend more time on the Island and split the cost?

Hey, My husband and I are also looking at a private charter to take us to JVD for the February 2nd Carnival Breeze Sailing. We have looked at BIV360 but have read a lot of mixed reviews. We were also looking at Kurula but we would prefer to spend more time at JVD. WOuld you be interested in sharing a private charter so we could both spend more time on the Island and split the cost?

I open to suggestions. How many people are in your party? We have 5 adults and 3 children traveling. I looked into this not too long ago and it was about $1,700.00 for the day. I'm not sure if that included gas. I think also if it's a charter boat, it wouldn't be a catamaran and can get us there faster then Kurula. Might also be able to fit in a stop at Sandy Spit and still a lot more time at JVD. If the price is within everyone's budget, I am sure this is something we will consider. :-) Let's talk about this :)

Hi, 1700 is a little too much for us. There is just MY husband and I we are 33 and 27. We were looking into possibly getting a Private Water Taxi, that seems to run around 500-700? Let me know if you have any ideas or if you come accross others that would bring the 1700 down..

As of right now we can only offer a private motor yacht tour, $1750 for the day.

------Original Message------

Subject: Re: Boat charter

Sent: 13 Nov 2012 11:56

Thank you :) do you offer a charter that goes directly to JVD?

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 13, 2012, at 10:32 AM, info@patouche.com wrote:

Hi and welcome back! We do not have "shared" trips to JVD, at least not yet.

We are working on something but for now contact "'Kuralu" or "Aristocat"

Thanks for thinking of us and if we have our new boat built by then I will let u know

Joe

This is the response I got from Patouche

Powerboat Rental

Our 26’ MercPanga is ideal for our Caribbean Waters

Comfortable for up to 6 guests, our single 200 HP Mercury will get you to your destination quickly and comfortably.

Included in your charter is a Captain, small cooler of drinks/ice, snorkel gear if needed (lunch ashore not included), ipod sound system.

Your day and itinerary is up to you.

Price for Rental is $850 per day (7 hours)

Call Patouche at 284-494-6300

That's popular for couples and small groups wanting to go out to the Willie T or Norman or on a custom itinerary.

Any of the cats out of Road Town will go to Norman, Cooper, VG, and Peter. The boats out of Sopers Hole (West End) can get to Josts and Sandy Spit quickly. So for a day on Jost you want to taxi to WE for the ferry or a cat or another operator, or to CGB for a quicker water taxi.

Hi, 1700 is a little too much for us. There is just MY husband and I we are 33 and 27. We were looking into possibly getting a Private Water Taxi, that seems to run around 500-700? Let me know if you have any ideas or if you come accross others that would bring the 1700 down..

There are 2 operators in CGB that offer water taxi rides to Josts. The problem is contacting them. I would not recommend one, the other I think is related to Tony at Stanley's Welcome Bar. Last I knew it was $50 pp roundtrip + $16 or 24 taxi roundtrip to CGB. That's a quick way to get there, just a 25 min boat ride.

We haven't contacted Tony in quite awhile but try googling Stanley's for contact info, maybe he can hook you up IF he is running.

284-495-9424 is the number.

i think the reason we received two different quotes from Joe is because I have 5 adults and 3 children, so his boat for $850.00 would not accommodate all. $242.00 per adult, plus tip is a little more then I'd like to spend and I think we can do better then that. The quote Aristocrat mentioned is only $1,000.00 and includes lunch and open bar. However, it seems like it's a slower ride to JVD. I also contacted a water taxi company. This is the first that I am researching water taxi's. Can I ask, what is the difference between a water taxi and the charter boats? Do the water taxi's have trouble anchoring at jost? I thought i read certain boats are not always able to anchor.

Blue Water, thanks for all of your tips. I'll try that next. You have been a great help. By any chance do any of these charters work with prices?

Sandy Spit where Kurula makes the first stop does look beautiful, but I wish they used a faster boat to get there so there would be more then an hour on Jost. :(

Can I ask, what is the difference between a water taxi and the charter boats? Do the water taxi's have trouble anchoring at jost? I thought i read certain boats are not always able to anchor.

A water taxi is simply a smaller 20 - 28ft motorboat, they can drop you at either White Bay or Great Harbor. In WB You'll get out in a few feet of water as there is no dock (hence the Soggy $ Bar). Cats can get you closer and you may not get your feet wet. GH has a dock. We have them drop us at WB and pick us up in GH so we can also visit Foxy's and Corsair's there.

You can go to Cane Garden Bay and hope to get one but I would highly recommend calling ahead. You can also google a phone # for the Watersports outfit there, they have this option and they also rent boats.

The WE ferry drops you at the dock at GH and you taxi over to WB.

Kuralu is a very popular day sail there, can't do any better than that. But if you want a good day on Josts only you have to leave from WE or CGB. If you google a BVI map you'll see just how farit is from Road Town to Josts.

Good luck!

Our cruise arrives in Feb. 2013 and we share your interest in the best way to get to JVD. Posted info. has been helpful. We want to spend as much time as possible on JVD and want to find out the best way to get there.

Contacted Kuralu but we do not want to snorkel or cruise to Norman Island.

Will be looking for suggestions.

Our cruise arrives in Feb. 2013 and we share your interest in the best way to get to JVD. Posted info. has been helpful. We want to spend as much time as possible on JVD and want to find out the best way to get there.

Contacted Kuralu but we do not want to snorkel or cruise to Norman Island.

Will be looking for suggestions.

Unfortunately without a daysail or a private charter the West End ferry or a water taxi out of CGB are always going to be the best options from Road Town. Especially if you want more time on Josts and aren't interested in a snorkel stop. You can look at bvi360 or another operator, but you will need to be transported to West End (1/2 hr away), and because they have a snorkel stop you don't get that much time on White Bay.

West End ferry and CGB are both 1/2 hr from the cruise dock, moxt ppl choose the ferry because it's a definite schedule.

So you'll understand why it's difficult (impossible actually) to hire a cat charter from RT to Josts, most cat operators out of Road Town (where the cruise dock is) go to Norman, Cooper, and Virgin Gorda because they're close. Josts is on the other side of Tortola and West End (Soper's Hole) is closer. Just a matter of the time it takes to get there...these operators alternate between the east end and the west end and offer both excursions, but those are longer excursions.

Hi Somewherebeyondthesea and Mmarche my husband and I are also going to be on the Carnival Breeze sailing Feb 2nd and we were looking for a way to get to the Soggy Dollar bar without stops but at a reasonable price. Please let me know what quote you get ive been looking at BVI360 and wasnt too sure about them either or let us know if you need more people to bring down the price. thanks

Hi Somewherebeyondthesea and Mmarche my husband and I are also going to be on the Carnival Breeze sailing Feb 2nd and we were looking for a way to get to the Soggy Dollar bar without stops but at a reasonable price. Please let me know what quote you get ive been looking at BVI360 and wasnt too sure about them either or let us know if you need more people to bring down the price. thanks

Maybe we can go with Aristocrat's private charter? Looks like we now have 9 adults and 3 children.

Archived